What is the REAL paleo diet?

Options
_VoV
_VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
Paleo is hot right now. How to eat like a caveman is the subject of many books on various best seller lists. But, what *IS* the paleo diet, and why is the diet from this particular time in human history more important than any other?

This, and more, is the subject of this excellent article from Scientific American:

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/2012/07/23/human-ancestors-were-nearly-all-vegetarians/

Replies

• VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Really great article! Thanks for sharing VOV! :smile:
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options
    I read the article and it is very close to my understanding of what early man (hominid to neolithic) ate. As I have posted on this board many times, and have met all kinds of silly arguments from the paleos, early man's most likely diet was fruits, nuts, vegetables, leaves, grass, insects, and VERY OCCASIONALLY meat. For some reason the Paleos believe that meat was the primary food, and ask the article points out THERE IS NO BASIS for that belief. Also, as the article points out, if you do want to eat like a caveman and you insist on eating meat, insects are your meat of choice. Early man ate what early man could catch, and that wasn't much.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    ok, so technically the REAL paleo diet is just assimilating molecules to make cells in an energy charged soup of biomolecules from the sea where neither plant nor animal exist...if you follow out the "natural" progression that article implies.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options
    ok, so technically the REAL paleo diet is just assimilating molecules to make cells in an energy charged soup of biomolecules from the sea where neither plant nor animal exist...if you follow out the "natural" progression that article implies.

Yes, that was the point of the article. How far back do you go. When do you stop, Why. Do you consider Australopithicenes? Paleolithic? Neolithic? Early Modern Humans? What? and Why.

However, I think even the Paleos would admit that going back two billion years doesn't prove anything.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options

Yes, that was the point of the article. How far back do you go. When do you stop, Why. Do you consider Australopithicenes? Paleolithic? Neolithic? Early Modern Humans? What? and Why.

However, I think even the Paleos would admit that going back two billion years doesn't prove anything.

Unless of course primordial soup tastes like miso soup. *LOVE*
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Maybe our roach-infested apartment isn't such a bad deal after all...Cheap housing and high quality protein...I kid...

Interesting article. I enjoy reading things by authors who understand nuance.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options
    Maybe our roach-infested apartment isn't such a bad deal after all...Cheap housing and high quality protein...I kid...

Interesting article. I enjoy reading things by authors who understand nuance.

LOL!!!!!!
  • VelociMama
    Options

It also depends on WHERE and what specific subpopulation you're looking at. Modern humans in Northern Canada had a very different diet than those living in Sub-saharan Africa, for example. Those living out on the great plains had a very different diet than those living along the coast even just in North America.

Honestly, there really is no "true" paleo diet. It was never one-size-fits-all for humans. Our ancestors ate whatever the hell they could eat to keep them and their children alive, and those choices were often dictated by where they lived and what was available to them.
  • taylor5877
    Options
    Not defending Paleo because lord knows I don't do it, but why do we have to have to overanalyze and eloquently "trash" a diet that can be a healthy diet and one that has helped a lot of people because it doesn't fit into our "box"...
  • VelociMama
    Options
    Not defending Paleo because lord knows I don't do it, but why do we have to have to overanalyze and eloquently "trash" a diet that can be a healthy diet and one that has helped a lot of people because it doesn't fit into our "box"...

I don't see anyone trashing the diet here, just sharing information about it and helping enlightening people a bit.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options

It also depends on WHERE and what specific subpopulation you're looking at. Modern humans in Northern Canada had a very different diet than those living in Sub-saharan Africa, for example. Those living out on the great plains had a very different diet than those living along the coast even just in North America.

Honestly, there really is no "true" paleo diet. It was never one-size-fits-all for humans. Our ancestors ate whatever the hell they could eat to keep them and their children alive.

Of course. The article pointed out that the Russian Colon was much longer than the Turkish Colon. Probably the Russians ate fewer insects than the Turks, or perhaps the Turks all lived near water and ate fish. In any event, the author, after being equivocal about what the real Paleo diet was, gave us a hint as to what he really thinks by saying he like fruits, nuts, vegetables, Chocolate and wine (ironically exactly my diet .) He's not big on insects.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options

Have you read the article? You might want to. There is no trashing of the diet, but there is an honest attempt to try to undersand what the Paleo Diet really was. (Hint: it is not what the Paleos believe it is.)
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options

Agreed! Some people find that restricting certain things really helps them, some find all in moderation is good for them. No way is the wrong way, they all have a calorie deficit in common, its just how you choose the best way for you.

Well said sir :)
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options

Because we like to be trollish jerks, like to hate on people who eat meat, are scared of those who do things differently from us...
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options

Because we like to be trollish jerks, like to hate on people who eat meat, are scared of those who do things differently from us...

Speak for yourself.
  • taylor5877
    Options

Atkins, south beach, paleo, piscitarian, vegan, all get hated on here...

You can do any of those with a purpose and them be a beneficial diet. There is not one way to do something right.
  • VelociMama
    Options
    ... and just like that, this very interesting and thoughtful conversation devolved into people whining about paleo-bashing instead of actually READING THE ARTICLE FIRST and contributing to the conversation...

Way to go MFP... again.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    A few generations ago, the "Paleo Diet," more or less, was just called "eating."
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

I have several friends of mine on the paleo diet. My only issue with the diet is the lack of peanut butter. (oh, and sugar)
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options

Atkins, south beach, paleo, piscitarian, vegan, all get hated on here...

You can do any of those with a purpose and them be a beneficial diet. There is not one way to do something right.

Hello! This is not a thread about what diets can be beneficial (although I completely disagree with your statement) This is an tread about what the Paleo Diet is/should be/ must be/ actually was.