What is the REAL paleo diet?

Options

Replies

• _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Not defending Paleo because lord knows I don't do it, but why do we have to have to overanalyze and eloquently "trash" a diet that can be a healthy diet and one that has helped a lot of people because it doesn't fit into our "box"...

Read the article before dismissing it.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options
    A few generations ago, the "Paleo Diet" was just called "eating."

Really? You consume a lot of insects?

It seems we are overrun with people who are too lazy to read the article.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options

Reading an article typically requires a link that works. More important, however, when you're sufficiently educated, you don't need to be spoonfed your science by popular magazines like "Scientific American."
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options

How many generations ago? Because bread and grains and legumes and dairy have been around for thousands of years.

I must suck at "eating" because the Paleo diet was a disaster for me. In 4 months, I gained 2 lbs and was sick all the time. When I increased my starches and reduced my fat intake the weight started melting off.

It's a perfectly valid diet, if it works for you. But it's not the one true path to health and it's not the one, single ancestral diet.
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Hello! This is not a thread about what diets can be beneficial (although I completely disagree with your statement) This is an tread about what the Paleo Diet is/should be/ must be/ actually was.
    [/quote]

Any time a Veggie/vegan goes off about Paleo diets it always ends up a we are better than them kind of thing. People who identify as eating a Paleo/Primal diet do not ever generally think they are truly eating as our ancestors did, but contend that what is being recommended as healthy food right now isn't, and that taking a step back is much better for overall health. That is all. Yes, there are dirt eaters out there, but they are on the fringes, just as there are nutters on the edge of any philosophy.

And no, I'm not too lazy to read the article, I just don't care to presently. If it's anything new and exciting, I'll come across it from a reputable individual from my community. I'd rather use my time searching out that article that discusses how many animals are killed during the average harvest of all those grain crops everyone seems so fond of. But I wouldn't post it here with an inflammatory topic name and see if anybody took the bait and then pretend I didn't mean anything but a healthy discussion.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

Reading an article typically requires a link that works. More important, however, when you're sufficiently educated, you don't need to be spoonfed your science by popular magazines like "Scientific American."

The link works just fine.
  • _VoV
    Options
    Not defending Paleo because lord knows I don't do it, but why do we have to have to overanalyze and eloquently "trash" a diet that can be a healthy diet and one that has helped a lot of people because it doesn't fit into our "box"...

Because we like to be trollish jerks, like to hate on people who eat meat, are scared of those who do things differently from us...

Just to be clear, this is NOT the sort of discussion I had in mind. You may feel you know me and my intentions, but you do not.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options

I just tried the link. It works. Here it is again:

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/2012/07/23/human-ancestors-were-nearly-all-vegetarians/

Also, I read other journals such as PNAS, PLoS ONE, Science, and Nature, among many many others. SA's articles are written by the top people in their field, and would generally be classified as "Review of the Literature" by some of the other journals.
  • _VoV
    Options
    Hello! This is not a thread about what diets can be beneficial (although I completely disagree with your statement) This is an tread about what the Paleo Diet is/should be/ must be/ actually was.

Any time a Veggie/vegan goes off about Paleo diets it always ends up a we are better than them kind of thing. People who identify as eating a Paleo/Primal diet do not ever generally think they are truly eating as our ancestors did, but contend that what is being recommended as healthy food right now isn't, and that taking a step back is much better for overall health. That is all. Yes, there are dirt eaters out there, but they are on the fringes, just as there are nutters on the edge of any philosophy.

And no, I'm not too lazy to read the article, I just don't care to presently. If it's anything new and exciting, I'll come across it from a reputable individual from my community. I'd rather use my time searching out that article that discusses how many animals are killed during the average harvest of all those grain crops everyone seems so fond of. But I wouldn't post it here with an inflammatory topic name and see if anybody took the bait and then pretend I didn't mean anything but a healthy discussion.
    [/quote]

************************************************************************************************************************************************

Well, if you don't want to read the article, I see no point in coming onto this thread to defame people. I wanted to spark a discussion of this article.

Edit: Failed attempt to get this is quote correctly.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I read the article. There wasn't any bashing of Paleo or any other diets in there that I saw. I am not vegan, vegetarian, Paleo, low carb, etc. I just eat food. The article does make some really good points that I do see missing in the discussion very frequently.

Why would wine not be part of a Paleo diet? In regions and climates where grapes are prevalent, people would eat grapes. People would pick what they would carry. Grapes begin fermenting and turn into wine quite quickly. In some parts of the world I'm sure some groups of people were able to eat meat more frequently than others. In some areas, it would be very difficult and not very practical to catch an animal source of protein on a regular basis. People would eat what was available in their environment and it would change seasonally. That to me is just common sense. There is no one set this is what they ate, because where they lived really dictated what they ate.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    If people read the article, they will be able to have an intelligent conversation about the topic. Otherwise, you're just giving an opinion on a different subject altogether.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options

[/quote]

Okay, so let me get this right. You don't want to read an article from Scientific American, because you want a biased article from someone who thinks like you do. The Hell with Science, I guess, right. I read articles on what the Paleo diet really is (the subject of this thread by the way) from paleo sources and I am not impressed. The SA article cited here is from a REAL scientist, not someone who has a book to sell.
  • _VoV
    Options
    I read the article. There wasn't any bashing of Paleo or any other diets in there that I saw. I am not vegan, vegetarian, Paleo, low carb, etc. I just eat food. The article does make some really good points that I do see missing in the discussion very frequently.

Why would wine not be part of a Paleo diet? In regions and climates where grapes are prevalent, people would eat grapes. People would pick what they would carry. Grapes begin fermenting and turn into wine quite quickly. In some parts of the world I'm sure some groups of people were able to eat meat more frequently than others. In some areas, it would be very difficult and not very practical to catch an animal source of protein on a regular basis. People would eat what was available in their environment and it would change seasonally. That to me is just common sense. There is no one set this is what they ate, because where they lived really dictated what they ate.

:drinker: I totally agree that fermented foods would make a lot of sense when you are talking about nomadic peoples. Wine sounds like a very natural food, which likely has a long ancestral past.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options

:drinker: I totally agree that fermented foods would make a lot of sense when you are talking about nomadic peoples. Wine sounds like a very natural food, which likely has a long ancestral past.

You only have grape juice for a few days (maybe 2-3), then it starts fermenting. It would have tasted good, been easy to transport, and a simple way to get calories. The whitish stuff on the skin of freshly picked grapes is what starts the process.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I have no issue with people doing whatever diet works for them. But there are a lot of Paleos who are self-righteous twatwaffles about it, so it's nice to be able to point out to those people that they are self-righteous twatwaffles. That goes for anyone who is a self-righteous twatwaffle about anything, really.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

I used to eat a lot of insects - I love chapulines con limon

2007_12_09b.jpg

Thailand dishes, yummm!

And several French cheeses that "move" on their own. Fantastic!

The article seems interesting, thanks OP!
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options

I have no issue with people doing whatever diet works for them. But there are a lot of Paleos who are self-righteous twatwaffles about it, so it's nice to be able to point out to those people that they are self-righteous twatwaffles. That goes for anyone who is a self-righteous twatwaffle about anything, really.

Okay. Trying to keep this discussion on the article. Sticking it to twatwaffles may be fun and overall a good thing do to, but doing it in this discussion is not really on topic. Please read the article if you haven't and then comment.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    What the hel! did I just walk into?
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options

I used to eat a lot of insects - I love chapulines con limon

2007_12_09b.jpg

Thailand dishes, yummm!

And several French cheeses that "move" on their own. Fantastic!

The article seems interesting, thanks OP!

According to the article, that was probably authentic Paleo.
  • _VoV
    Options

I think people who follow the paleo diet have many things going for them. Eating fresh fruits and vegetables in abundance and avoiding refined foods which tend to be of low nutrient density for the number of calories they provide are worthy goals.