Options

Replies

• robincabaltica
    Options
    Congrats...that is great news! You go
  • KJLIII
    KJLIII Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I recently ran a 5k - my first one in 16 years ( ! ! ), and my time was 35:43. I'm hoping to get that down a bit, will be shooting for 30 minutes or less... I guess that's not too bad for a 52 year old ! ! LOL ! ! Thank God for C25K and losing a bit of weight on MFP ! !
  • vetty41
    vetty41 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My best 5k time is about 33 minutes. When I started running last January, it was taking me about 42 mintues. Improving...under 30 minutes seems really difficult for me. I am not a super fast runner but I can now run a 5k without stopping, and 9 months ago I could not run one quarter mile!

for the original poster, I think that is phenomenal first time for an over-40 runner! (I too am over 40) :-)
  • xcmtnracer
    xcmtnracer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Nothing personal but I hate runners.

Actually, that's not true, I'm jealous, I was an avid runner before I tore my meniscus.

Best 5K was at age 35, 16:14

Now I ride but miss running, such a great escape from everything.
  • Sbehlmer
    Sbehlmer Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I'm running in my first 5K this Sunday....so excited (and nervous as well) :wink:

I'm with you. Running my first 5k sunday october 14th. I wanna do it under 40min. Come back sunday to tell us how you did it. I just can't wait!!!!!!!

I will definately post how I did....and good luck to you (you will do great!!!) :smile:
  • Sbehlmer
    Sbehlmer Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I'm running in my first 5K this Sunday....so excited (and nervous as well) :wink:

Good luck!!

Thank you so much!!! :smile:
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    My 5k PR is 27:21, but that's not in a race, in a race it's 28:01.

The last 10k I ran I did in 56:52, and somehow managed to get 2nd place in my age group (27-39) and got an actual running trophy...who would have thought??
  • selig0730
    selig0730 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    thats awesome, you will wanna do more and beat your time
  • spersephone
    spersephone Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I've done a couple of 5km fun runs, best time was around 25 minutes. I did a 10.5km fun run on the weekend, which included one particularly difficult hill, in 64 minutes. I was really pleased with that, considering I slowed down whenever it got a bit too much, so I didn't burn out. But then I found out one of the other kindergarten (preschool) mums that was there did it in 49 minutes - what a star! Unfortunately it made me feel a little less proud of my own achievement though.

Still, I've gotten over it, it's about getting out there and doing it.
  • shellsrenee01
    shellsrenee01 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Here are my 5K times since Jan of this year:

Neverland 5K (1/12): 47 min
    Coaster Run 5K (3/12): 42 min
    Pajama Run 5K (6/30): 40:38 min
    4th of July 5K: 40:05 min
    Awesome 80's 5K (9/1): 41:46 min
    Chapman 5K (10/6): 39:38 min

I have had a goal of finishing in under 40 minutes ALL YEAR and I finally did it this past Saturday with my Chapman 5K race. Not only did I get it in under 40, but I had time to spare! :bigsmile: I wanted to cry when I realized I finally achieved what I've worked so hard for. Being a bigger runner, I love proving to myself that it is possible to do these races and to do them well!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    376855_10151178088375923_452564206_n.jpg

That is me. I did it in 22m35s with zero running training. (just kb's for conditioning)
  • spersephone
    spersephone Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    You're in Australia, yes? Based on your running bib it looks like it anyway.

How good is that? No training at all? You must have it in your genes.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    You're in Australia, yes? Based on your running bib it looks like it anyway.

How good is that? No training at all? You must have it in your genes.

Yep, Sunshine Coast. I was training...for a powerlifting competition the week before hand :laugh:

I used to run fairly long distance (up to 25km) but got over it and prefer shorter duration high intensity stuff these days :smile:
  • P05T5CRIPT
    P05T5CRIPT Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I finished C25K about a month ago and competed in my first ever race two weeks ago - a 5K, I ran it in 35:31. It was my personal best time and was a pretty tough course, but I was pleased with the time. I'm currently training for a 10K, and working on my speed and endurance.

I hope to run another 5K in a month and get my time closer to 30 minutes. Running rocks!
  • Adesta1
    Adesta1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I did my first 5K this past Sunday, October 7 and my time was 28:42. I run where I work, which is at the top of a hill and my course meanders up, down and around the hill. The course for the race was a lot flatter with only a 1.25 mile uphill portion with a slight gradient. My fastest time before the race was 32:30.
  • sarahdangar
    sarahdangar Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Was inspired to run a timed 5K this morning, but felt terrible when I got up so just did 3K. Managed 14 mins and 50 secs. Won't run again until sunday now - but going for the timed 5K then!!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Was inspired to run a timed 5K this morning, but felt terrible when I got up so just did 3K. Managed 14 mins and 50 secs. Won't run again until sunday now - but going for the timed 5K then!!

Er Sarah, you were running 4:57 seconds for each 1k there, if you were able to continue that pace for a further 2k you would run a 5k in 24:48.

NOW do you see just how fast you were running? You say you "just" did 3k, but take that particular session as a speed session. It was a fine run, very well done!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Nothing personal but I hate runners.

Actually, that's not true, I'm jealous, I was an avid runner before I tore my meniscus.

Best 5K was at age 35, 16:14

Now I ride but miss running, such a great escape from everything.

pmsl at your first sentence there, it made me laugh :laugh:

As for the rest of your posting, is there no chance at all you can run again? You had an excellent 5k time there!!
  • judcost
    judcost Posts: 33 Member
    Options

I'm with you. Running my first 5k sunday october 14th. I wanna do it under 40min. Come back sunday to tell us how you did it. I just can't wait!!!!!!!

I will definately post how I did....and good luck to you (you will do great!!!) :smile:

So first official 5K race in exactly 37:00 and first time doing 5K non-stop. It's rainy today in Montreal. I loved the experience. I had ton of energy when I finished so maybe I'm not pushing enough.
  • kmorganlfc
    kmorganlfc Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Did 7.25 miles this morning, but doing my first 5k next Saturday - if I don't sleep through my alarm clock. :tongue: