Eating back calories

Options

Replies

• AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    BTW, the girl he quoted and told not to eat exercise calories back is only eating 1400 calories a day. ***GASP!*** Someone call 911!!!

Uhh, he actually didnt tell anyone not too. What he said is he doesnt tell his clients to because he factors exercise calories when he gives them their calorie goal.

Post in the middle of the page. The person he quoted will also have a 1000 cal deficit and be under the dreaded 1200 calorie a day. ***GASPS!***

Yeah, I should of written that better. What I meant to say is maintain the same caloric intake, don't eat back exercise calories.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Is that 2300 calories what MFP gives you after you have set a weightloss goal? (EG you have listed "Lose 1lb a week") MFP uses this to set your calorie goal. You probably burn 2700 calories, so to lose 1lb per week, you should net 2300 calories in a day. (=3500 calories per the end of the week)

Also with calorie burns that high, you need to make sure you are actually burning this many calories.

Assuming your MFP settings are set correctly and you are accurately measuring your burn, you should eat most of these calories and you will still lose. But it sounds to me like your settings might not be correct.
  • Sarah47201
    Sarah47201 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I eat enough back so that my net is at least 1200 per day. Less than that is not healthy for me. When I drop below 1200 my weight loss stalls.

So if I do a 1000 calorie workout I need to eat at least 2200 so that my net is still 1200.
  • awilmeri
    awilmeri Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    What it comes down to for me is this is not a diet. This is my life, eating better, getting in shape. I like to eat. I like to exercise. I'm fine with losing "only" one pound a week if it means I'm not starving, not grumpy, not yelling at my kids because I have a head ache from not eating all day. My calories are set to lose one pound a week. Any extra calories go in my belly. I'll keep that, and I'll probably actually keep it off too. Do what you think is right. Good luck op!
  • MDWilliams1857
    MDWilliams1857 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    BTW, the girl he quoted and told not to eat exercise calories back is only eating 1400 calories a day. ***GASP!*** Someone call 911!!!

Uhh, he actually didnt tell anyone not too. What he said is he doesnt tell his clients to because he factors exercise calories when he gives them their calorie goal.

Post in the middle of the page. The person he quoted will also have a 1000 cal deficit and be under the dreaded 1200 calorie a day. ***GASPS!***

Yeah, I should of written that better. What I meant to say is maintain the same caloric intake, don't eat back exercise calories.

Read the rest of what he said.

"I don't recommend that my clients "eat back" calories from exercise because I use them in my estimations when I write their calorie prescription. "

In other words, his clients DO eat back exercise calories, he just factors them in BEFORE he gives them their calorie goal. MFP does NOT factor them in before the calorie goal. If I was to ask him how many calories I should eat he would probably say 2600-2800. MFP says 1750. So if I eat 1750 and burn 100 working out, I would then eat 1000 to get back to the 2600-2800 he would recommend.
  • MDWilliams1857
    Options
    Let me ask you this HNN. Lets say Betty Lou eats 1200 calories a day. Are you saying that she could eat 1200 a day and burn 1000 calories per workout and not have any ill health effects?
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options

"I don't recommend that my clients "eat back" calories from exercise because I use them in my estimations when I write their calorie prescription. "

In other words, his clients DO eat back exercise calories, he just factors them in BEFORE he gives them their calorie goal. MFP does NOT factor them in before the calorie goal. If I was to ask him how many calories I should eat he would probably say 2600-2800. MFP says 1750. So if I eat 1750 and burn 100 working out, I would then eat 1000 to get back to the 2600-2800 he would recommend.

You're just putting words in his mouth. He already told someone in the link I provided you to not eat back their exercise calories and that person is eating 1400 calories a day. He also says to maintain the same exact calorie intact daily. BTW, please go ask him how many calories you should be eating a day and ask him if you should eat your exercise calories back. He's still there and willing to answer your question.

In fact, just tell him that you are only eating 1200 calories a day and see if he tells you to eat more or to eat your exercise calories back. I'm willing to bet that he will not.

• ktmmom189
    ktmmom189 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back my calories because my BMR is so low. It's just a little higher than my 1200 cals a day.
  • MDWilliams1857
    Options

You're just putting words in his mouth. He already told someone in the link I provided you to not eat back their exercise calories and that person is eating 1400 calories a day. He also says to maintain the same exact calorie intact daily. BTW, please go ask him how many calories you should be eating a day and ask him if you should eat your exercise calories back. He's still there and willing to answer your question.

In fact, just tell him that you are only eating 1200 calories a day and see if he tells you to eat more or to eat your exercise calories back. I'm willing to bet that he will not.

I know what he will say as far as my calories. He will say I should eat 2600-2800. And if I eat 2600-2800 I should not eat back exercise calories. That much is true. But if I follow MFP and their 1750 calorie goal, I would have to eat some exercise calories to get to 2600-2800. You cant just say "should I eat my exercise calories" because it depends on how you set your calorie goal.

And if I told him that I was only eating 1200 calories as a 6 foot 240 pound man, he would say thats not healthy, eat more.
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options

I know what he will say as far as my calories. He will say I should eat 2600-2800. And if I eat 2600-2800 I should not eat back exercise calories. That much is true. But if I follow MFP and their 1750 calorie goal, I would have to eat some exercise calories to get to 2600-2800. You cant just say "should I eat my exercise calories" because it depends on how you set your calorie goal.

And if I told him that I was only eating 1200 calories as a 6 foot 240 pound man, he would say thats not healthy, eat more.

You know what he will say? As in, putting words in his mouth again? You're too funny...

• MDWilliams1857
    Options

You know what he will say? As in, putting words in his mouth again? You're too funny...

I never put words in his mouth. I quoted him. And yes, I know how many calories I should eat. There are thousands of calculators on the net.

• AbsoluteNG
    Options
    In his very first post.

. If you "have tried everything and cannot lose weight" or if you're eating "x amount of calories and still can't lose weight." my answer will always be the same- you are eating too many calories. Be consistent with your current intake and cut by 10-20% while making sure you are getting enough protein. Make sure you are correct with your portion sizes and choosing the right foods in the MFP. In other words, if you can't lose weight- you need to eat less and exercise more.

Please, go tell him that you're 6ft, 240 pounds, and a man eating 1200 calories a day and not losing weight even with a rigorous exercise routine. I would love to hear what he says.

• MDWilliams1857
    Options
    In his very first post.

. If you "have tried everything and cannot lose weight" or if you're eating "x amount of calories and still can't lose weight." my answer will always be the same- you are eating too many calories. Be consistent with your current intake and cut by 10-20% while making sure you are getting enough protein. Make sure you are correct with your portion sizes and choosing the right foods in the MFP. In other words, if you can't lose weight- you need to eat less and exercise more.

Please, go tell him that you're 6ft, 240 pounds, and a man eating 1200 calories a day and not losing weight even with a rigorous exercise routine. I would love to hear what he says.

I did. I told him im 6 foot 240 pounds and the workouts I told him I do are exactly what Im doing. I guarantee you he tells me Im not eating nearly enough and I bet he recommends 2600 calories at least.
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options
    In his very first post.

I did. I told him im 6 foot 240 pounds and the workouts I told him I do are exactly what Im doing. I guarantee you he tells me Im not eating nearly enough and I bet he recommends 2600 calories at least.

If he ever comes back, we'll see how much your guarantee is worth. I'm liken to think he won't increase your intake over 2k calories and probably closer to 1800. He might even tell you to keep doing what you're doing at 1200 calories.
  • awilmeri
    awilmeri Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'll give you a head start. I've listed some diets below and they all have 1 thing in common. Absolutely none of them say anything about eating exercise calories back.

Atkins Diet, says nothing about eating exercise calories back
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atkins_diet

1200 calorie diet, says nothing about eating exercise calories back
    http://www.everydiet.org/diet/1200-calorie-diet

1500 calorie diet, says nothing about eating exercise calories back
    http://www.womenandweight.com/1500-calorie-diet-plan/

Vegan diet, says nothing about eating exercise calories back
    http://vegetarian.about.com/od/glossary/g/Vegan.htm

PSMF, says nothing about eating exercise calories back
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_Sparing_Modified_Fast

Edit: I know how MFP works and it's created some type of myth that if you don't eat your exercise calories back, you will stop losing weight. At least, that's what your opinion seems to be. It's just nonsense and nowhere outside of MFP will you ever see such a notion, at least not from medical professionals or science journals.

Atkins diet resource is Wikipedia...really that's not a valid resource. I've never been on Atkins but I don't think you even count calories do you? I'm not even bothering with the other links. They aren't exactly experts?

The big one you didn't post is Weight Watchers. Because you can't, one of the most popular diets on the planet allows you to eat back exercise calories. Hmmm I bet they've done a few studies?
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I feel like this post needs a moderator, this is worse than the romney/obama debate. Who cares, weight loss is a journey, and everyones journey is different. Both ways work, for different people. Just stay healthy and keep it moving.
  • dedee32282
    Options
    Yes, you will still lose weight, because your NET caloric intake will be the amount you need to lose weight. For example, my required caloric intake to maintain my body weight is something like 1700 (I don't remember the exact number). So, to lose weight, my required caloric intake is 1200. If I workout and burn 1000 calories, I've only had a net caloric intake of 200. That is not enough to lose weight and be healthy at the same time... in fact, it may even slow my metabolism and make it harder to lose weight if I do that long enough.

As mentioned above, there are some great articles online and on this forum about this. I picked up a Jillian Michaels book from the library this weekend, and she said the same thing. One thing that someone pointed out that really changed how I thought about this is, what do successful people do? People who keep the weight off? You can pick them out in the success stories thread and look at their food diaries... I've done that recently. What do athletes do?? It makes sense... :)

Just curious about which jillian book you were referring to... I love her take on fitness and nutrition! I too believe. You have yo eat back at least some of your burned off calories...eating too little will slow down metabolism and will leave you unsatisfied. And more likely to cheat!
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I don't eat any of them back
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options
    I'll give you a head start. I've listed some diets below and they all have 1 thing in common. Absolutely none of them say anything about eating exercise calories back.

Atkins Diet, says nothing about eating exercise calories back
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atkins_diet

1200 calorie diet, says nothing about eating exercise calories back
    http://www.everydiet.org/diet/1200-calorie-diet

1500 calorie diet, says nothing about eating exercise calories back
    http://www.womenandweight.com/1500-calorie-diet-plan/

Vegan diet, says nothing about eating exercise calories back
    http://vegetarian.about.com/od/glossary/g/Vegan.htm

PSMF, says nothing about eating exercise calories back
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_Sparing_Modified_Fast

Edit: I know how MFP works and it's created some type of myth that if you don't eat your exercise calories back, you will stop losing weight. At least, that's what your opinion seems to be. It's just nonsense and nowhere outside of MFP will you ever see such a notion, at least not from medical professionals or science journals.

Atkins diet resource is Wikipedia...really that's not a valid resource. I've never been on Atkins but I don't think you even count calories do you? I'm not even bothering with the other links. They aren't exactly experts?

The big one you didn't post is Weight Watchers. Because you can't, one of the most popular diets on the planet allows you to eat back exercise calories. Hmmm I bet they've done a few studies?

Some people call that selective reading and I've never been to weight watchers. To my understanding, it's not an official diet but rather more like MFP. Just a place to keep track of your calories. Do you have a link to weight watchers that says you must eat back your calories for faster results? I skimmed through the website and all I found was recipes. What are these studies you are talking about from weight watchers?
  • WandaWoman41
    WandaWoman41 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I love this post. It's full of energy.