"You should only lift weights once your physically fit"

Options

Replies

• spersephone
    spersephone Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    He is wrong. I lifted when I was obese and here are the results of my success --> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout

I just want to say you're utterly amazing - I hope I can be as good as you're looking at your age - I'm getting better with age but you are breathtaking! Have you been featured in a magazine like Oxygen? What an inspiration!
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Lifting helps with metabolism. Therefore helps with weight loss. When you lift your body still burns calories for hours but when you do cardio the burning stops when you do.

If you are trying to lose weight lift small for longer reps

If you are trying to build muscle and not lose weight lift large for shorter reps.

to achieve muscle and weight loss do both cardio and lifting

ALL OF THIS :smile:
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with your brother. I am far from fit, but I have added weight training. I feel stronger and I am building muscle that will help increase my metabolism, even at rest. My plan to get fit includes eating healthy, moving my body, and building muscle. I have talked to physical therapists and personal trainers and they highly recommend strength training, no matter what your fitness level is. Even light weights can help. :)
  • eggfooyumyum
    eggfooyumyum Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Cardio & Strength is the winning combination. I was just doing cardio before a trainer convinced me to start lifting. The changes are extraordinary! It pulls everything in. Most recently I noticed the improvement in my upper arms, especially in the crook (arm pit) where my arm meets chest. It was fatty and dare I say, even wrinkly. Now it's toned and tight. Love it!
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I have been doing intense cardio bursts and weight training for the last month. I am clinically obese but am already feeling the benefits. I have to be careful with my knees as that is what caused me to stop exercising last time my husband hS already commented on some physical changes and my legs feel much stronger. Mfp is great. It took me courage to publish my diary even to friends but it has definitely been worth it.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    ".. Or else it won't have much of an effect."

This is rubbish.
    He also said cardio shrinks muscle. :huh:

This is also rubbish.
  • wmagoo27
    wmagoo27 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Google 'broscience'. There ya go.
  • michellersalo
    michellersalo Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am an exercise physiologist and the recommendations are as follows for ALL fitness levels

Cardiovascular exercise- most days of the week (4 or more)
    Strength Training Exercise- 2-3 days per week but non consecutive days for the same muscle group (muscle recovery is essential)

Cardio exercise increases the heart rate (thus increasing core temperature and "burns" calories off) while strength training helps to increase lean body mass, which, IN THE LONG TERM, will increase your overall metabolism. There are tons of other benefits but if we are just talking about for fat loss, this is the main point.

If there is anything else that you need/want to know, just give me a yell!

Michelle
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Love your advise.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Wow! That's quite a death sentence.

"Don't lift until you're fit, but if you do cardio, your muscles will shrink." Ergo, give up now. It's hopeless!

:noway:
  • needernt
    needernt Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I don't think cardio shrink all the muscles. your body tends to keep its normal weight even after leaving weight training. so even if you burn mscles in cardio afterwars when you eat food then again they are rebuilt.
    oterwise all the cardio trainers where so skinny.
    My goal is to rich a certain amount of muscle mass and then I will keep up with swimming. I don'thave time for both.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Everyone here has me worried that I shouldn't be doing my Insanity DVDs. I better not be digging a hole for myself, I have intentions of weight lifting after this thing and I don't want to feel like a weak kitten at the end of Insanity :huh:

Pick up some weights. You'll be glad you did it now. I am.
  • Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Wow! That's quite a death sentence.

"Don't lift until you're fit, but if you do cardio, your muscles will shrink." Ergo, give up now. It's hopeless!

:noway:

Thats why I told him to shut up haha.
    He likes to think he knows what he's talking about.. But really.. No. Just no.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Urgh, this idea again. How are you going to get fit if you dont start exercising? Start lifting ASAP.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I am an exercise physiologist and the recommendations are as follows for ALL fitness levels

Cardiovascular exercise- most days of the week (4 or more)
    Strength Training Exercise- 2-3 days per week but non consecutive days for the same muscle group (muscle recovery is essential)

Cardio exercise increases the heart rate (thus increasing core temperature and "burns" calories off) while strength training helps to increase lean body mass, which, IN THE LONG TERM, will increase your overall metabolism. There are tons of other benefits but if we are just talking about for fat loss, this is the main point.

If there is anything else that you need/want to know, just give me a yell!

Michelle

At last - the voice of reason. Thanks Michelle; well put.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Your brother is one of those very very lucky people that have achieve results despite not having a clue.

Let's hope you've got some of those genes too.
  • soulfulsally
    Options
    Related to this topic, Lyle McDonald had written something. Wish I could find the article. He mentioned that if you are obese with a high body fat (35% or more I think it was), weight training isn't important because you have greater than normal amount of lean muscle mass already. The focus should first be on getting some weight off.

But yeah, what your brother said was different. Don't listen to him.
  • super_monty
    super_monty Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Cardio CAN have a negative impact on muscle mass. Any bodybuilder will tell you to be careful with cardio. Moderate is good... intense will begin to break down muscle tissue for energy.

Look at a "runner's" physique. Lean, yes...but not necessarily the type of lean everyone wants.

So it depends on your goals.

This is true too much cardio has a negative impact on building muscle. Very Extreme cardio can also burn some muscle mass over time as the body can only take so much from fat stores.

I was running 50k to 60 k a week plus 7k bike, 20 mins cross trainer and 10 mins rowing with strength training . I have bi monthly body composition tests and had burnt muscle.

And if you want to get really big you need to drop most cardio , you will still get some cardio from lifting heavy.
  • super_monty
    super_monty Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Nope lift as your losing.

Thank me later.

This is also true
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    when i started "getting into shape" all i did was cardio in the form of cycling, for about two months. if i could go back to then, i would tell myself to also start doing body weight work outs and to start hitting the gym, right from day one.