"You should only lift weights once your physically fit"

Options

Replies

• Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    ".. Or else it won't have much of an effect." This is what my brother just told me. He's a fitness junkie so I'm kinda worried he knows what he's talking about.

He also said cardio shrinks muscle. :huh:

Please tell me he's wrong so I can keep lifting.

*you're
    ugh >.<

Your brother is woefully and completely wrong.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    there are some medical conditions that would require a doctor's clearance before lifting, but besides that not sure what he is talking about. As for cardio shrinking muscle-- well, he is kind of right, but he worded it wrong. Once you are in a cardio zone for too long your body may start using muscle as one of its energy sources...thats why many people on a bulk try to limit cardio.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Tell your brother he can kiss the *kitten* of all the overweight lifters on MFP! It will take a while because some of us (like myself) have pretty big butts! :laugh:

The issue isn't "lifting," but rather starting from where you are and getting stronger than you were before.
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    cardio does shrink muscle under certain circumstances.
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Cardio CAN have a negative impact on muscle mass. Any bodybuilder will tell you to be careful with cardio. Moderate is good... intense will begin to break down muscle tissue for energy.

Look at a "runner's" physique. Lean, yes...but not necessarily the type of lean everyone wants.

So it depends on your goals.

You're confusing correlation and causality. Runners shoot for a runner's build, it's not the natural result of doing cardio. You don't want a ton of extra muscle weighing you down when your goal is to run really long distances as fast as possible. It's entirely possible to keep a heavily muscled physique while still running pretty long distances, you just have to make sure you also lift heavy and maintain sufficient caloric intake. Cardio can, in very extreme cases, burn muscle, but only if your body is completely out of other fuel. Unless you're regularly running marathons on a calorie deficit or something, that won't happen. You can safely run distances up to 10K or half marathon, with virtually no risk of burning muscle. Even at a marathon distance it's unlikely unless you train and eat very poorly. Do you really think that elite world class athletes like marathoners want to burn muscle? Their muscles are deliberately leaner than a sprinters, but they need all they have to win.

Look at swimmers. Distance swimming is clearly a cardio based activity, but distance swimmers are built more like sprinters or weight lifters than distance runners. They need heavier muscle, and water is more forgiving of the extra weight than air, so they work to develop more muscles, despite the endurance nature of their sport.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/does-cardio-burn-muscle/ This guy talks about the myth that cardio burns muscle. If you need more evidence than just his pretty reasonable science discussion, just look at his picture. He runs 10Ks and does triathlons. Does he look like he's "burning muscle"? He doesn't run 10Ks as fast as a leaner person in the same cardiovascular shape he's in might, but he's not trying to win, he wants to keep his heart in good shape and burn calories while focusing on strength.
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    LOL AT YOUR BROTHER

High intensity cardio, especialy SPRINTING as fast as you can for 30 seconds, NATURALLY releases growth hormone, which is called (fitness hormone)

Bodybuilding without HIIT is such a waste.
  • Bethie_B
    Bethie_B Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    If you want to feel incredible, get firmer, and get a shape that you're really happy with, keep lifting while doing cardio for weight loss. You'll be glad you did.
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    The only way I can imagine your brother being right is if he is worried you'll hurt yourself over-doing it early. That's a real danger. With extra body weight it can be hard to recover from injuries. It is also extremely de-motivating. Until you know your own body, know how working out feels and know how to do it right, don't overdo things. Start slow and easy, and build muscle slowly.

You'll probably get result really easy, though. If you have never worked out before, you have a lot of potential!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Lifting won't create definition until you have decreased your body fat.

Cardio can deplete energy. The body needs a lot of energy to build muscle. If you do a lot of cardio and you don't eat enough to replace the used energy, the body could draw upon the muscle as an additional source of energy. The body doesn't like to give up fat.

In short, your brother is only telling you half-truths and only halfway knows what he is talking about.

I weigh 225 lbs (as of this AM). I lift and still have a significant layer of body fat. But I am also the smallest that I have ever been at 225 lbs (fairly lean). I lift 3 days a week with moderate cardio (mostly walking). I eat at a 300 calorie deficit below my TDEE. Though I still have a ways to go, I'm making really good progress. Stick to your plan. You are doing it right!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Huh.

So nobody's heard of sprinters?
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    No! Muscle eats fat! I do cardio and weight train. I have seen in 2 weeks more change with lifting then months of cardio!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Cardio does have the potential to shrink muscle mass. During anaerobic activity, energy is supplied by glycogen which is stored within muscles. However, you would have to be doing a tremendous amount of cardiovascular activity in order for your muscles to actually decay from it. That's why seasoned marathon or ultramarathoners look so skeletal. Most people aren't realistically going to achieve this problem :)

I would choose weightlifting over cardio every time... Unless you really like doing "cardio". In which case you wouldn't be calling it "cardio" you'd be calling it "running" or "zumba" or something.

Building muscle helps you look fit and perform better. Maintaining a healthy diet helps you lose weight. Cardio is fine and definitely helpful but not as necessary as the other two.
  • MonkeyBars
    MonkeyBars Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    your bruv talks tosh! lift with a personal trainer for a few months, get your technique spot on!
    then go watch him lift (he won't like it if you correct him LOL)

the most important thing about lifting is balance, balance in your programme to avoid injury!

I myself prefer full body event exercises (core core core baby), but occasionally will put iron in a workout ;)

nothing worse then watching someone lifting heavy, then noting they can't do pushups, pullups or other bodyweight exercises!

muscle makes you strong, muscle needs fuel, you get thinner and stronger and can eat more (quality)!
    have itttttttttt.....

ps
    The five components of physical fitness are:

Cardiovascular endurance
    Muscle strength
    Muscle endurance
    Flexibility
    Body composition

cardio will give you a strong heart and lungs! don't ignore it!

pps
    I don't mean walking on a treadmill, I mean sprints, I mean flat out! your flat out!
  • hendinerik
    hendinerik Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Cardio & Strength is the winning combination. I was just doing cardio before a trainer convinced me to start lifting. The changes are extraordinary! It pulls everything in. Most recently I noticed the improvement in my upper arms, especially in the crook (arm pit) where my arm meets chest. It was fatty and dare I say, even wrinkly. Now it's toned and tight. Love it!

Bump to this! I have only really gotten into adding strength training into my exercise about 3 months ago, and huge difference. It is helping me target that ever so stubborn tummy area and I also notice a big difference in my arms which I had pretty much given up on.

What's right for him may not be right for you, but if something is working for you, do it!

Good luck.
  • sunshineshica
    Options
    He is wrong. I lifted when I was obese and here are the results of my success --> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout

Looking at this person's before and after pics I actually can't believe she thought she was obese in her before pics. Don't get me wrong she looks great in her after pics. Like a female bodybuilder. Let's me know that everyone has their own perception and idea of what they think is obese and their own idea of what they think is thin. Lifting weights (light or heavy) or using your own body weight is beneficial when doing cardio. do what works for you.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I *wish* I started strength training sooner.

Don't think of it as a matter of "building" muscle. Think of it as "keeping" muscle. The more you keep, the fewer pounds you have to lose to achieve the same look.

If I'd been doing heavy lifting while losing weight, I would have been able to avoid the whole droopy-*kitten* phase. It would have been much easier to retain muscle in my tush than wait til I lost weight and try to build it back up. :ohwell:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    ".. Or else it won't have much of an effect." This is what my brother just told me. He's a fitness junkie so I'm kinda worried he knows what he's talking about.

He also said cardio shrinks muscle. :huh:

Please tell me he's wrong so I can keep lifting.

*you're
    ugh >.<

He's wrong and he's an idiot.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    i don't agree!! everyone needs cardio and strength training regardless of fitness levels :S

That's how I see it!
  • sirthickness
    Options
    He'r wrong on both accounts. Keep lifting, do cardio and you'll do just fine. Like an earlier post stated, your brothers advice sounds like block head "bro science".
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    For my first few months here, I did ONLY cardio. I ended up lighter than I've ever been, but yet didn't look it. The term "skinny fat" definitely applied to me.

I started lifting heavy weights and within 3 months, my body looked completely different, yet I was the same weight.

I suggest doing cardio & lifting weights. Best of both worlds and you'll have the best results in the long run.