Sugar Free or Fat Free?

Options
The ladies at work are chatting about coffee creamer. One is saying Fat Free is "better" for you than Sugar Free and the other is saying the opposite.

If you're not on a specifically sugar restrictive diet - would one be inherently better for you than the other?

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Neither, they're both fake foods. I'd go with milk.
  • jlmoses91
    jlmoses91 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I would honestly go with neither! It sounded weird to me at first bt sugar free is full of fat, and fat free is full of sugar. so its best just to use skim milk, soy milk or just a smaller amount of normal creamer. I switch out between normal creamer and soy milk. The vanilla soy tastes good with the coffee.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options

Agreed.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I would compare the calories, sodium, and carbs, and see from there. Sorry everyone else is giving you useless information that doesn't help with your debate at work.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    depends on what beliefs you subscribe to or what you're doing with your diet.

personally I'd do something with fat but no sugar. like heavy cream.

right now I put coconut oil in my coffee and tea. fats are great for me, but I don't take in sugar first thing in the morning.
  • fit_librarian
    fit_librarian Posts: 242 Member
    Options

THIS!
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Fat free = other crap added to boost the flavor
    Sugar free = artificial sweeteners (usually)

Both are marketing terms, both typically mean fake food / junk.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    The ladies at work are chatting about coffee creamer. One is saying Fat Free is "better" for you than Sugar Free and the other is saying the opposite.

If you're not on a specifically sugar restrictive diet - would one be inherently better for you than the other?

In my opinion, provided you don't have any reaction to any individual ingredients then I'd just be aware of what you're consuming and make the choice based on that.

Generally speaking, compare calories and macronutrients in both items and go from there.

My personal choice would be whichever one is lower in kcals because I try to limit the calories that come from liquids for me, for satiety purposes.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    No
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options

THIS!

^ totally agree^
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Yup. Neither. Organic half and half.
  • faylenechung
    faylenechung Posts: 107 Member
    Options

What if your like me and you can't have milk?
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

*twitch*
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    as everyone else said, Neither is good. I use soy or coconut milk, BUT if I had to choose (because sometimes you don't HAVE soy milk available...), I'd go with sugar free. I'd rather have fat in my diet, than sugar.
  • faylenechung
    faylenechung Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Fat free = other crap added to boost the flavor
    Sugar free = artificial sweeteners (usually)

Both are marketing terms, both typically mean fake food / junk.

What are your thoughts on stevia?
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

What if your like me and you can't have milk?

drink it black...........
    or add coconut milk.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    They usually substitute chemicals or more sugar when something is "free" of something. Neither is particularly good for you.
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    When I buy flavored "creamer" I tend towards the sugar free variety out of habit (many years of on/off low carb dieting) but much prefer just regular half & half. I've cut back the amount of coffee I drink so that I can drink the 1 cup I have each day the way that I want instead of letting calories dictate how I take my coffee.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    They're 10 to 35 calories per tablespoon. I don't think it makes a huge difference.
  • skinnynerd
    Options
    as everyone else said, Neither is good. I use soy or coconut milk, BUT if I had to choose (because sometimes you don't HAVE soy milk available...), I'd go with sugar free. I'd rather have fat in my diet, than sugar.

Agreed. I would rather have fat than sugar. But I hate coffee so it doesn't matter.