Mike and Molly

Options
MIM49
MIM49 Posts: 255 Member
Am I the only one that does not find this TV show--Mike & Molly--funny? I am not amused at the premise of a fat couple meeting and falling in love at Overeaters Anonymous--which, in their cases in what? 3 or 4 seasons? has been a complete failure. The show makes dieting=failure funny? Fat people with food obsession? Mike rumaging in the fridge like a pig at a trough; stealing the slice of wedding cake hidden deep in the freezer; Molly episode with the wedding dress or the flight home from the honeymoon where they are going to get the most from their money by eating everything and more 1st class has to offer including taking the cookie from the tray of the sleeping thin passenger. Even the scenes where they are stuffed into that tiny bed--to me, not funny. As to the remaining characters: what about the alcoholic, appears to be anorexic mother? The stupid, druggy sister? The sex crazy, dishonest Italian boyfriend, the Black "stud" partner, the stereotypical Black grandmother, or Mike's lonely, divorced, embittered mother? Maybe the fact of all of these dysfunctional characters are in one show is supposed to increase the laughs. (I have problems finding shows displaying dysfunctional families funny in general.) Is it a good thing the actress playing Molly is cashing in on her unhealthy obesity? My husband finds the show funny and says I have no sense of humor. However, I told him I have watched my last episode and he can watch with out me. What do you think?

Replies

• corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I think you're oversensitive to a fictional TV show intended for entertainment purposes.

I find that show hysterical and watch it every week.
  • o2bADyer
    o2bADyer Posts: 208
    Options
    LOVE the show...and with all of the awards they've received, I would think you are in the minority. Take it for what it is...light, non-personal entertainment.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm not necessarily offended by it, but I don't find it funny, either. I also don't understand the success of 2 Broke Girls.
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I love that show.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    I find it funny. Its just tv.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I think you're oversensitive to a fictional TV show intended for entertainment purposes.

I agree. I for one think it's great that Melissa McCarthy hasn't tried to do every fad diet out there to lose the weight and look like everyone else in Hollywood does. She's a really funny character/person and I watch it. But to each their own...my sense of humor can be warped sometimes :laugh:
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options

this.

every sitcom makes fun of some sort of stereotype. Big Bang Theory capitalizes on nerds and a skank. How I Met Your Mother capitalizes on a womanizer and an oversensitive guy. And they're all hilarious.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I laugh.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

I don't watch it every week, but I've seen quite a few episodes. It's funny, and I like that the people on it look like real people. I usually try not to watch American television because I hate that everyone on the tube is so unrealistically beautiful.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Saw the movie Bridesmaids and thought Melissa McCarthy stole the show. Loved her in that. Made me want to check out Mike and Molly. Not really a fan. I might give it one more try though. They should develop a sit com based on her role in Bridesmaids. That would be hilarious.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

this.

every sitcom makes fun of some sort of stereotype. Big Bang Theory capitalizes on nerds and a skank. How I Met Your Mother capitalizes on a womanizer and an oversensitive guy. And they're all hilarious.

BBT. Oh how I love thee! :happy:
  • rml_16
    Options
    Saw the movie Bridesmaids and thought Melissa McCarthy stole the show.

I thought she was the ONLY redeeming part of that movie.
  • indygal76
    indygal76 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I am sorry but I love that show! It is all in good humor.
  • chunkiedunker
    chunkiedunker Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    i think if you take the show for more than it is your the crazy one. its a tv show made to make you forget about the stresses of your day. its not suppose to be real life. i laugh hysterically at the show. i find it very funny. alot of people found seinfeld hysterically funny. i found it to be mediocre at best. i didn't come to a message board saying this show is unfunny. i just didn't watch it.

but it is one of the funniest shows on tv right now. the ratings prove you to be incorrect in your thinking.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I actually think it's funny, and like that they've moved away from the show being totally about weight. It comes up and is sometimes the center of an episode, but it's not just a "fat people" show which is what the original intention seemed.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    Wow, you sure know a lot about the show and specific episodes for someone who doesn't find it funny.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    every sitcom makes fun of some sort of stereotype.

How many shows have:
    A dumb blond
    A crazy mother
    A *****y wife/ex wife
    A broke mooching alcoholic
    A harping mother in law
    A flamboyant gay guy / butch lesbian
    A moody teenager
    Potheads
    Ect...

Is it because the subject matter depicts something that is possibly a personal issue that you have a problem?
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    My husband finds the show funny and says I have no sense of humor.

I agree with your husband.

What about the dog Jim? What bad stereotype does he play?
  • rml_16
    Options
    Wow, you sure know a lot about the show and specific episodes for someone who doesn't find it funny.

Her husband watches it. I know a lot about movies I hated because I watched them.
  • Charlie003
    Charlie003 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Mike and Molly is an awesome show. It is the first show that overweight individuals make fun of themselves. In a way, it brings the problem of being over weight to the masses through humor. Any exposure to the problem is good exposure.