Mike and Molly

Options

Replies

• infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I have never been able to sit through an entire episode. I love terrible stereotypical sitcoms as much as the next guy, but I don't find the writing on this one funny at all.

If they could find way to poke fun of being overweight and the struggles we deal with, I would probably be more for it, but as it is, all I've ever seen are blatant and "mean girl-esque" fat jokes. And really, I think it helps promote the Fat Acceptance Movement, by saying, "hey, you can be fat and hilarious and on TV! You can even act as though you'll never even truly try to get healthy, and that's okay!" ... and frankly, it's not okay.
  • LoriBeMe
    LoriBeMe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one that does not find this TV show--Mike & Molly--funny? I am not amused at the premise of a fat couple meeting and falling in love at Overeaters Anonymous--which, in their cases in what? 3 or 4 seasons? has been a complete failure. The show makes dieting=failure funny? Fat people with food obsession? Mike rumaging in the fridge like a pig at a trough; stealing the slice of wedding cake hidden deep in the freezer; Molly episode with the wedding dress or the flight home from the honeymoon where they are going to get the most from their money by eating everything and more 1st class has to offer including taking the cookie from the tray of the sleeping thin passenger. Even the scenes where they are stuffed into that tiny bed--to me, not funny. As to the remaining characters: what about the alcoholic, appears to be anorexic mother? The stupid, druggy sister? The sex crazy, dishonest Italian boyfriend, the Black "stud" partner, the stereotypical Black grandmother, or Mike's lonely, divorced, embittered mother? Maybe the fact of all of these dysfunctional characters are in one show is supposed to increase the laughs. (I have problems finding shows displaying dysfunctional families funny in general.) Is it a good thing the actress playing Molly is cashing in on her unhealthy obesity? My husband finds the show funny and says I have no sense of humor. However, I told him I have watched my last episode and he can watch with out me. What do you think?

To you, I say read a book while your hubby is enjoying it. Personally, it's one of the few shows I enjoy... to each their own
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Wow, you sure know a lot about the show and specific episodes for someone who doesn't find it funny.

I was thinking the same thing.
  • MIM49
    MIM49 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Wow, you sure know a lot about the show and specific episodes for someone who doesn't find it funny.

I was thinking the same thing.

I watch TV at night with my husband. He controls the choices. He finds this show funny. I don't. There are a few I tell him to watch without me. This will be one of them. From the posts I can tell--I must be lacking in a sense of humor. Also, from what I see being watched on TV for light hearted entertainment I can also understand why teasing and bullying are such a problem today. Why isn't it ok to make piggy sounds at a fat person? TV says it's funny. (and no, this has never happened to me.)
  • MIM49
    Options
    I have never been able to sit through an entire episode. I love terrible stereotypical sitcoms as much as the next guy, but I don't find the writing on this one funny at all.

If they could find way to poke fun of being overweight and the struggles we deal with, I would probably be more for it, but as it is, all I've ever seen are blatant and "mean girl-esque" fat jokes. And really, I think it helps promote the Fat Acceptance Movement, by saying, "hey, you can be fat and hilarious and on TV! You can even act as though you'll never even truly try to get healthy, and that's okay!" ... and frankly, it's not okay.

That is exactly how I feel.
  • MIM49
    Options
    My husband finds the show funny and says I have no sense of humor.

I agree with your husband.

What about the dog Jim? What bad stereotype does he play?

I think Jim agrees with me
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    It's not great, but it's not that bad! If you really dislike it so much, just go to another room when he is watching it. My husband likes to watch that wrestling crap - he finds it fascinating. I don't mind that he watches, but I am certainly not going to sit there and watch it with him. I think it is pathetic. He dislikes a couple of shows that I watch. No big deal.
  • LordByproduct
    Options
    the show is about finding love DESPITE their health issues. are you really this upset about it. they constantly make fun of their fatness. they certainly aren't advocating being obese. besides dont you have real stuff to worry about?
  • MIM49
    Options
    I wasn't expecting a personal attack on me. I certainly am not telling anyone not to enjoy or watch the show. My point was should this show--and also some of the other sitcoms mentioned--get their laughs from people and situations that are to many people real and not funny? Mike has been compared to a pig at a trough and his eating as grazing. No food is safe. Funny? Really? Then if someone says that to you or another fat person or oinks at them it is ok because it is funny on TV? Bullying has become a big issue. Bigotry is out in the open. Children, and some adults are no better than children, learn by what they see. A lot of what is seen is on TV. Both Mike and Molly are portrayed as wanting to lose weight. They are not poking fun or making the insulting comments to themselves--their friends and family are doing so. There are other shows I have issues with but I brought up this show because I feel it is apropos of this site. Obesity is a huge problem for many people and our society. Bullying is another problem. Yes, I think unfortunately many people find this show very funny and it is a huge success. Personally I don't. I was looking for reasons you find this show to be funny and why you think poking fun at fat people to be ok (and it is being done by a cast full of characters with their own problems.)
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    every sitcom makes fun of some sort of stereotype.

How many shows have:
    A dumb blond
    A crazy mother
    A *****y wife/ex wife
    A broke mooching alcoholic
    A harping mother in law
    A flamboyant gay guy / butch lesbian
    A moody teenager
    Potheads
    Ect...

Is it because the subject matter depicts something that is possibly a personal issue that you have a problem?

don't forget the bumbling, and clueless father
  • Stevie0018
    Stevie0018 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I think if there are any shows you should be turned off by it should be the reality ones like "16 & Pregnant" & "The Kardashions".

"Mike & Molly" is a sitcom made up of pure fiction. Go into with a light heart & maybe you can find the humor. I find it hilarious! But hey, we are all intitled to our opionions & if you don't find the show enjoyable maybe you can find something else that does ...maybe "60minutes" is more your things?
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    it's just a show. If you notice they are a lot smaller than they used to be I am sure they are actively trying to get healthy. I love it is Hilarious!!
  • MoreThanMommie
    MoreThanMommie Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I think you're oversensitive to a fictional TV show intended for entertainment purposes.

I find that show hysterical and watch it every week.

^This!
  • zmoreno10
    zmoreno10 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I think if there are any shows you should be turned off by it should be the reality ones like "16 & Pregnant" & "The Kardashions".

.. And that honey-boo-boo show. "My momma says you lose weight by fartin', so I'ma lose a lot".... ugh
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Meh. I'm a King of Queens man myself.
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I can't stand that show and my husband loves it. I commented last night "I can't believe this show is still on." But not for all the reasons you list, I just don't find it funny or the characters very real. I realize it's fiction but "reality shows" aren't any better. I don't like shows that celebrate idiocy a whole lot...so that includes, oh, I don't know, MOST of them.
  • trixirn
    trixirn Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I wasn't expecting a personal attack on me. I certainly am not telling anyone not to enjoy or watch the show. My point was should this show--and also some of the other sitcoms mentioned--get their laughs from people and situations that are to many people real and not funny? Mike has been compared to a pig at a trough and his eating as grazing. No food is safe. Funny? Really? Then if someone says that to you or another fat person or oinks at them it is ok because it is funny on TV? Bullying has become a big issue. Bigotry is out in the open. Children, and some adults are no better than children, learn by what they see. A lot of what is seen is on TV. Both Mike and Molly are portrayed as wanting to lose weight. They are not poking fun or making the insulting comments to themselves--their friends and family are doing so. There are other shows I have issues with but I brought up this show because I feel it is apropos of this site. Obesity is a huge problem for many people and our society. Bullying is another problem. Yes, I think unfortunately many people find this show very funny and it is a huge success. Personally I don't. I was looking for reasons you find this show to be funny and why you think poking fun at fat people to be ok (and it is being done by a cast full of characters with their own problems.)
    I love the show. I am not a bully. Blaming TV for such things is just another example of lack of personal responsibility. Raise your children yourself. Stop planting them in front of tv and expecting the thing to teach them kindness, respect, and dignity (not you personally, but as a nation).
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I think the things you surround yourself with and fill up your life with are what your life begins to emulate. Careful what you choose.

Choose wisely
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I haven't watched it very often, but I never noticed their weight being a focus in the episodes I've seen.
  • o2bADyer
    o2bADyer Posts: 208
    Options

OH yes...totally agree about this!