boiled potato healthy or no?

Options
13»

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Eating animal fat is never beneficial :| The fats that the body needs are found in nuts, fatty vegetables like avocados, etc. Not cholesterol-laden animal fat (except maybe those from fish).

But usually you fry potatoes in a vegetable oil.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Oh -- and a healthier mashed:

Olive oil instead of butter and garlic powder instead of salt. You can use skim milk, almond milk, soy milk, whatever, to cut the calories. My VERY picky BF loves my mashed made that way.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Allow me to point out that you're arguing with someone that has a duckface in their profile picture. Just chew on that fat a bit.
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    Duck fat rules!
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    Oh, you guys...cut duck face girl some slack. She's 19, therefore knows ALL THE THINGS!

Potatoes are awesome.
  • PhillyTD
    PhillyTD Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    potato_gonna_potate_by_mrhazbo99-d4gd6ba.jpg
  • rml_16
    Options
    Oh, you guys...cut duck face girl some slack. She's 19, therefore knows ALL THE THINGS!

Potatoes are awesome.

She REALLY knows all the things.(Just ask her.)
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Have as many as you want within your calorie limit - baked, fried, mashed whatever. Eat at a calorie deficit and you will lose weight.
    Why would you encourage someone to eat fried potatoes? It's not all about calories, its about improving your health overall too.

A baked potato here and there is fine, but they're not the healthiest vegetables. Non-starchy vegetables should make up the majority of the veggies you eat for optimal nutrition. And DON'T fry them in oil like this guy recommended -__-

What deleterious effects would eating fried potatoes here and there in an otherwise mostly whole food and varied diet have? I roast mine in duck fat nom nom nom
    Um, heart disease? Excess empty calories? Loss of nutrients?

Do whatever you want, just don't try to perpetuate to others that its not harmful.

Here's a new idea! I actually just thought of it - MODERATION! You're welcome.
    Unfortunately most people who are trying to lose weight have a very skewed view of what "moderation" even means. Hence why they're overweight in the first place.

So instead of teaching them about moderation, we should be advocating that they cut out everything someone else deems "bad" so they don't have any chance of failure. Basically, put all the dieters in a bubble. Because that will totally work out well for the rest of their lives....

I'd rather help people learn about moderation, about making sensible choices, about how to give their body the nutrition it needs and some of the "junk" that they want. You really can have it all - but you have to learn how to do that. Sorry you're not ready to learn that yet....but please don't assume that no one else is.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I like to fry my potatoes in bacon grease. Why waste great fats? You can also wait for the bacon grease to solidify in the pan and spread it on toast....nomnomnom
  • KilikiMom
    KilikiMom Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    who cares??? its a POTATO!!! best food on earth!! :) lol
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,130 Member
    Options
    Potatoes. Yum. I eat them almost every day. . .often fried. Like restaurant fried. I'm at a healthy weight and have kept my weight off for five years. Pay no attention to the young lady who is living in extreme-ville.