Help I'm hungry all the time

Options

Replies

• Lolades
    Options
    I totally had this problem. From what ive seen in various documentaries from doctors and scientists there is no solution to this although once you start maintaining instead of losing it should fade.

Your eating less to try to convince your body to consume itself for energy....it doesn't like doing that, especially if you are a woman it wants to keep all the fat in case you get pregnant. So instead your body tries to convince you to consume more food through various chemical means.

My solution for myself was to prepare filling low calorie meals to get me through it like vegetable soups or spaghetti squash casserole, shirataki noodle stir fry etc etc.
  • MzStarrQueenB
    MzStarrQueenB Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    If your hungry inbetween meals drink 8oz of water. Then wait 15 mins if your still hungry eat one serving size of a fresh fruit of veggies...

If you set your mind to it, you can accomplish anything.....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8987-serious-diet-support-group
  • Musiclovefaith31
    Options
    Starving yourself will cause your body to fight against that hunger, and it will basically do the opposite of what you want, You'll gain instead. Try drinking lots of water, and try doing things to keep your mind busy, instead of thinking about food, or hunger.
  • SopranogirlCa
    SopranogirlCa Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Eat real food and eat clean. No shortcuts, that's what works for me so far.
  • JessMySize
    Options
    Have a cup of Kix cereal, yes, it's boring and bland, but I swear it works..
    So does ramen.
    OR chewy bars!! :)
  • Lalamontour
    Options
    Jillian Michaels says that if you exercise you do not want to eat as much. So far it has worked great for me.
  • JennRuns4Fun
    JennRuns4Fun Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The key for me is lots of water, Greek Yogurt, Light Mozzarella Cheese sticks and hummus ... the last three have tons of protein (and are lean protein options!) and that helps you stay fuller longer. High Fiber items also help with that (fruits & veggies). I use the veggies to scoop up the hummus, I also like low fat cottage cheese which is low in fat & calories & high in protein!

Hope this helps!
  • nomicat77
    nomicat77 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I like bubbly water (better than plain water) it tickles my throat. (and the tiny bubbles keep my tummy a little more full between meals.

also, for me: I can't do 'breads/cereals' at breakfast (pancakes, toast, Fruity Pebbles)- or I am STARVING all day!- but I am fine with those foods at lunch or dinner... and I try to get 20-30 grams of protein per meal (plus some in snacks)

what do you eat for breakfast? just curious. i was told to eat oatmeal, and i starve. every day. it sucks.
  • nomicat77
    Options
    If your hungry inbetween meals drink 8oz of water. Then wait 15 mins if your still hungry eat one serving size of a fresh fruit of veggies...

If you set your mind to it, you can accomplish anything.....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8987-serious-diet-support-group

i'm gonna try that. see if it works.
  • nomicat77
    Options
    Hope this helps! :)

If you crave this…

What you really need is…

And here are healthy foods that have it:

■Chocolate

Magnesium

Raw nuts and seeds, legumes, fruits

■Sweets

Chromium

Broccoli, grapes, cheese, dried beans, calves liver, chicken

Carbon

Fresh fruits

Phosphorus

Chicken, beef, liver, poultry, fish, eggs, dairy, nuts, legumes, grains

Sulfur

Cranberries, horseradish, cruciferous vegetables, kale, cabbage

Tryptophan

Cheese, liver, lamb, raisins, sweet potato, spinach

■Bread, toast

Nitrogen

High protein foods: fish, meat, nuts, beans

■Oily snacks, fatty foods

Calcium

Mustard and turnip greens, broccoli, kale, legumes, cheese, sesame

■Coffee or tea

Phosphorous

Chicken, beef, liver, poultry, fish, eggs, dairy, nuts, legumes

Sulfur

Egg yolks, red peppers, muscle protein, garlic, onion, cruciferous vegetables

NaCl (salt)

Sea salt, apple cider vinegar (on salad)

Iron

Meat, fish and poultry, seaweed, greens, black cherries

■Alcohol, recreational drugs

Protein

Meat, poultry, seafood, dairy, nuts

Avenin

Granola, oatmeal

Calcium

Glutamine

Supplement glutamine powder for withdrawal, raw cabbage juice

Potassium

Sun-dried black olives, potato peel broth, seaweed, bitter greens

■Chewing ice

Iron

Meat, fish, poultry, seaweed, greens, black cherries

■Burned food

Carbon

Fresh fruits

■Soda and other carbonated drinks

Calcium

■Salty foods

Chloride

Raw goat milk, fish, unrefined sea salt

■Acid foods

Magnesium

Raw nuts and seeds, legumes, fruits

■Preference for liquids rather than solids

Water

Flavor water with lemon or lime. You need 8 to 10 glasses per day.

■Preference for solids rather than liquids

Water

You have been so dehydrated for so long that you have lost your thirst. Flavor water with lemon or lime. You need 8 to 10 glasses per day.

■Cool drinks

Manganese

Walnuts, almonds, pecans, pineapple, blueberries

■Pre-menstrual cravings

Zinc

Red meats (especially organ meats), seafood, leafy vegetables, root vegetables

■General overeating

Silicon

Nuts, seeds; avoid refined starches

Tryptophan

Cheese, liver, lamb, raisins, sweet potato, spinach

Tyrosine

Vitamin C supplements or orange, green, red fruits and vegetables

■Lack of appetite

Vitamin B1

Nuts, seeds, beans, liver and other organ meats

Vitamin B3

Tuna, halibut, beef, chicken, turkey, pork, seeds and legumes

Manganese

Walnuts, almonds, pecans, pineapple, blueberries

Chloride

Raw goat milk, unrefined sea salt

■Tobacco

Silicon

Nuts, seeds; avoid refined starches

Tyrosine

Vitamin C supplements or orange, green and red fruits and vegetables

this is awesome. I always crave sweets. But I don't know if I could eat a baby's liver. :(
  • rubberbiscuit
    Options
    This information came from my nutritionist, and also from a social worker I sometimes see who specializes in weight loss. Don't do the starvation thing, eventually it leads to overeating and it always fails. Stick to adding protein to your diet, it will keep you full the longest. When planning your meals think, protein first, vegetables second, fruits and carbs last. Eat 3 meals a day with 2 snacks in between. Snacks should be protein. Good snacks are Greek yogurt (twice the protein as regular yogurt, and it tastes better), low fat cheese sticks, hard-boiled eggs, almonds, etc. Finally, drink water, sometimes your body will confuse thirst with hunger.
  • jenellie
    jenellie Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    allowing 1200
  • FarmFoodDiet
    FarmFoodDiet Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    A few things will help you stay satisfied and still lose weight: Change your macronutrient ratio to 40% carb, 20% fat, and 20% protein. Cut the factory-made stuff out of your diet. Little to no sugar. Limited foods made from grains (cereal, pasta, bread,etc). Even juice has a lot of sugar in it. Sugar and refined carbohydrates cause rapid spikes in blood sugar that leave you feeling hungry again a short time later.

If you have a sandwich, use a sandwich thin.

You need to eat fat/protein with every meal, and every snack. Great snacks are: nuts or veggies with hummus or guacamole.

When you get the urge for a sweet, try a piece of fruit or a few squares of dark chocolate.
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    we might be able to help you more if we could see your food log. I do believe your stomach shrinks. The first week I was on this I had cramps every day. Not since.
  • ronnithepooh
    Options
    I feel your pain, dear. And I don't care what anyone says, no matter how many fruits/veggies I consume, they do nothing to make my stomach stop growling.

And no, I"m not "eating my problems" as some might suggest; my stomach actually growls loud enough for my coworkers to hear. And I drink water and tea all day, and I eat protein with every meal and I load up on fruits and veggies. I think it's probably just a different experience for some of us. We have different bodies and different metabolic rates and different nutrient needs.

I've tried the old "ignore it and it will go away" bit; but I find that (even though I'm going to get reamed for this by everyone on the site), for me, keeping a package of saltines and just munching a few when my stomach growls really helps. I don't feel full, but I"m able to last till lunch or dinner without the whole office hearing about my diet directly from the source.
  • MrsRamirezxoxo
    MrsRamirezxoxo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    water,fruit,veggies, natural almonds, low fat cheese sticks, eat protein that seems to fill me up
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Protein is very filling for unit calorie and Veg will give you some needed fiber without much more calories. Protein + veg and lower carb will keep calories down while making for satisfying meals. Drink lots of water especially with a high protein diet.

Other than that its mind over matter. If you find that you are eating a 1600-2200 calorie day with 30-50% of it protein and you are STILL starving I would be surprised but if that is the case it will just take discipline to overcome that, whatever that takes.
  • sarrah_n
    sarrah_n Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Apples do a lot for keeping me full. A great amount of fiber!
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Me too...
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I might have misinterpreted but if you said you were calorie restricting to 1200 calories a day that is very very low and could go a long way to explain why you are hungry. If you really insist on having that much deficit you would be much better off eating a lot more and bringing that up to at least 1600 and balancing that out with some cardio. Really though you could probably stand to bring it up even higher than that to 1800-2200 if you just add some regular cardio.