Junk food Junkie!

Options
PLEEEEEEEEEEEEASE HELP!

I know there isn't a quick fiz out there. What I am honestly looking for though is someone to tell me something that finally clicks! I've been beating myself up the last couple of years about my weight and the way I eat.

I'm a 41 year old happily married mother of two (23&18). I have a wonderful husband and two great kids. I'm also surrounded by great friends and if it wasn't for God getting me through some rough times I don't know where I'd be.

However...........I HAVE NO SELF CONTROL!

I have all these people telling me I'm not going to lose the weight no matter how much I exercise if I don't eat right.

Here's what you need to know (and I'm embarrased about) I have never been a fan of fruit and veggies! Soooooooooooooo, not only do I have to develop and new habit I also have to get rid of an old habit! And that is junk food! Take for instance yesterday I had (not all at one but throughout the day) 2 pieces of chocolate cream pie, 6 shortbread chocolate chip cookies, and a home-made chocolate milk shake!!!!! And to be honest, I could do this every day!

I know what I'm doing is wrong. I know if I didn't have it in the house I wouldn't eat it. I know I have to eat my fruits and veggies. What I don't know is how to SAY NO to the bad and YES to the good!

So if anyone can tell me anything that will click or if you know about some majic button I can press that will give me self-control please let me know.

I'm sitting here reading all the success stories of people that have lost my total body weights and you are all amazing. Then I sit here and think "you're an idiot Rhonda, why can't you just do it and lose 20 pounds!?"

Thanks for listening folks!

God Bless.

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Am i a shi*tty person because i think this whole thread is ironic? Your name is "NoMoreExcuses"....come on!

You are the ONLY person who can change YOU. It doesn't matter what anyone else tells you, motivates, etc. This is ultimately your decision and something you need to decide on your own.

"We change our behavior when the pain of staying the same becomes greater than the pain of changing."

I guess you haven't gotten to that point yet. The fact of the matter is, this comes from within... and until you're truly ready to make a change you will only fail.

Its a vicious cycle really- half arsed job trying to lose weight because youre not truly motivated and serious, fail, feel bad about yourself and beat yourself up, promise to change, half arsed job, etc.

Decide to break the cycle. Or not... that choice is yours.
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Oh, trust me, I'm obsessed with chocolate and could eat junk on a daily basis and be completely content with it. But my health comes first and foremost. My willpower sucks. I've never been able to lose weight. But I'm doing it!! I'm down 36 lbs since May 7. I cleaned out my entire house of junk. I started looking for healthier recipes for dinner. I buy healthy snacks for throughout the day. Yes, I have my cheat meal once a week. This is a new lifestyle, not a diet. Cheat meals are a must for me to keep my sanity...and I find that being able to look forward to one delicious splurge a week is so exciting and worth it! You can do it. You have to want to do it before you will. I'd tried over and over and over to lose weight, and I always failed. Finally, my husband came home from a nutritionist appointment and told me he wanted us to do it together and that was my motivator! Together we're down over 80 lbs in 5 months. I could live off junk food, but I don't because I want to be healthy, happy, thin, look good in clothes, confident.....all of that is SO much more important than a chocolate milkshake!!
  • Lindseyelizabeth87
    Lindseyelizabeth87 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Maybe some type of mantra will work? I struggle with the same thing, but my self control is getting stronger all the time.

There's a zillion motivational quotes, read through them until you find one that hits home for you.

"This will not taste as good as being slim will feel" is a perfect one for me. I can have the cookie in my hand already, look down, thing those words, and put the cookie down, because for me it's true.

Similarly, when I get bogged down during a jog, I either picture myself slimmer come beach season or running into an ex and looking good lol. Sometime's I think "Sweat is fat's tears!" hehe.
  • tmt2003
    tmt2003 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    First of all GET IT OUT OF THE HOUSE!! the begining is the absolute hardest! I quit fast food and junk food cold turky for about 3 months because I could not trust myself to be able to stop once I started eating. Let me tell you, it was like PMS times 1000! lol. My poor DH, lol.

Once I felt like I could have some control, I did (and do) eat those foods occasionally. I never feel guilty when I do. I fit them into my daily calories if I want it bad enough.

Like PP said, only you can decide if you are going to stay away from those foods or not. find other diversions, lower calorie options.

Also I would say, to focus on one thing at a time, thinkging you have to fix everything about your diet and all your bad habits at once is overwhelming. focus on cutting back junk food first, then take it from there.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Replace all your chocolate with exlax chocolate bars
  • MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    im a binge eater. instead of going back to it all day, i jusst scarf it alll down after my kids are in bed. you need a routine change. start adding in exercise to combat boredom and go to bed early! your kids are grown and can take care of themselves! dont buy the junk in the store, if they want it they can go get it for themselves. not having it in the house will gove you more time to really think thinkgs out b4 driving to the store like a crazy person and throwing it all down ur throat hole! lol. start going to the gym or just walking (with out $ on you for treats, lol) i am less likely to binge right after exercise. b est of luck to u! i know how hard it is!
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'm not one to cut out all the bad foods. I'd rather change them a little to make them better. Like your shortbread cookies, for example... can you find a low-cal recipe and make them at home (send the majority of the batch with your kids)? And your homemade chocolate shake... what about using Almond Milk instead of regular? Or switching to sugar free icecream? Anything to cut the calories back. :happy:

Also, pre-planning really helps me. If you pre-plan your day to include your little induldgences, it'll REALLY help. Just be sure to plan in your sweet treats. :wink:
  • HaywoodJ
    HaywoodJ Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Really,I understand completely!I do beleive that chocolate is my "crack" the only thing that has helped me is the 90/100 calorie snacks between meals.Also helps to drink water to curve the hunger.Good luck!
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    ( I know it only says 5 pounds lost. I'm 50 pounds down from where I started, back slid a bit, and restarted my ticker. I've been at this for over a year).

The first step is knowing your trigger foods and why you go for them. Why do you gravitate toward junk food, and more importantly, WHEN do you gravitate toward junk food? Vegging out on the couch - find a hobby other than food to keep your hands busy. I took up crocheting/knitting. Looking for comfort? Find out what makes you truly happy, and substitute with that. A true lack of self control? Well... Knowing what your triggers are and WHY you want to eat them is a start.

Do you keep junk food in the house? If so, that's got to go. If it's there for your husband/kids, have them hide it. I'm dead serious. My husband and I both have foods we hide from the other (his candy bars are in my jewelry armoire!) and that helps with moderation. Out of sight, out of mind. In response to the 'mantra' above, I may sound like a jerk, but I don't believe that skinny 'tastes' good. This isn't about being thin. This is about being healthy. Contrary to popular belief, healthy does not always equal thin, and vice versa.

Veggies and fruits suck. Trust me. I've never liked them, at all, and given the choice I'd rather have something NOT a fruit or veggie. Finding out which ones you like is fun. I enjoy pomegranate, and fall apples (pink ladies, honey crisps) are fabulous. If you're a snacker and not a '3 meals a day' kind of girl, eat smaller meals. Better for digestion/metabolism anyway.

If you need support, feel free to friend me.
  • caitlyn30
    caitlyn30 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    instead of the shake find something that isn't a whole lot of calories but is still junk food.
    Jell-O (Jello) - Sugar Free Creme Brulee Rice Pudding, 1 container 70 calories -- 0 sugars
    Luigi's - Italian Ice, No Sugar Added, 1 cup 60 calories - 1 sugar
    Granola Thins - Nature Valley: Granola Thins Crispy Squares - Dark Chocolate*, 1 pouch (17g) 80 calories - 6 sugars

I know there is a yogurt out there in the frozen department that tastes like icecream, but not the 30 grams of sugar that icecream brings you. etc

this is a lifetime change, so when somebody says, eat some carrots instead, well, thats something I could do on a diet, but not for a lifetime. :noway:
  • BeckySue1977
    BeckySue1977 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My friend and coworker came back from a weight watchers meeting and said she heard something that struck home with her...

A woman in the group reported that she was feeling like she deserved to have a chocolate shake because she had worked hard to get her house all cleaned up. She also deserved to grab a hamburger out since she shouldn't have to cook after working all day. She deserved to sit on the couch and watch a movie with a bag of cookies because she does so much for other people and needs a break for herself....
    Then she realized, what she really deserves is to be healthy. She deserves to feel good, both inside and outside. She does so much for other people, she deserves to take time out for her health. She works hard running around and cleaning all day, so her body deserves to be nurished with the things it really needs to keep functioning at optimal levels instead of being bogged down with sugar and fat and greasy foods.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    PLEEEEEEEEEEEEASE HELP!

Blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah......I HAVE NO SELF CONTROL!

blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah... I'm not going to lose the weight no matter how much I exercise if I don't eat right.

blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah... SAY NO to the bad and YES to the good!

blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah... "you're an idiot Rhonda, just do it and lose 20 pounds!"

Thanks for listening folks!

God Bless.

Sounds like you have it figured out, you just need to do it.
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I am a junk food junkie as well. I understand. When it comes to fruits and veggies, start with ones that you like. There has to be a few. Even if its just fruits for awhile, thats fine, just start introducing them. Try no sugar applesauce, low sugar mandarins in cottage cheese, strawberries, raspberries. I don't love carrots, but I don't hate them, so I have a few with my lunch (6-9 baby carrots). They take awhile to eat and help fill you up. I'll pack some grape tomatoes too or cucumber slices.

Then start finding recipes with veggies that sound good. My husband doesn't like a lot of veggies, so I make things like lasagna with a ton of veggies so it's mixed in with cheese and meat. I also puree things like zucchini and add that to tomato sauce. Basically, how you'd get more veggies into a child! :-) Soups and stews are great ways to add in veggies. They are also delicious and diet friendly. Spinach sauteed with a little olive oil, shallot, garlic, and a bit of cream cheese or parmesan is delicious. Don't be afraid to add cheese or meat. Just don't drown it in cheese! lol.

I also will add veggies to things like eggs for breakfast (spinach, scallion, tomatoes, roasted peppers). I will roast a bunch of veggies and freeze them in little baggies for use in things like eggs and soups.

Another thing I do, is instead of eating a burger and fries, I'll have a burger, but with some cottage cheese and fruit on the side, or a salad (I dip my fork into the dressing), or carrot sticks and strawberries. This way, I don't feel deprived. I actually feel lighter, if that makes sense, because the veggies and fruit aren't as heavy as fries.

With sweets, sometimes, you just have to have them, and that's ok. I try to work them into my diet when I know I need them (like that time of the month). I try not to keep them in the house, but that can't always be helped. Sometimes, I'll replace a meal with something like ice cream, or I'll keep my other three meals low so I can have a treat within my calories. I'm trying to make these occasions less and less, but it does happen, and I accept that. I've learned that if I beat myself up about it, I will just go further down the ice cream hole. It's not easy, but I am working on changing my attitude towards myself to be more positive. It works better for me...I respond well to positivity. I treat myself like I would a friend with the same struggles. I look for answers and try to change WHILE forgiving myself.

Last thing - before I end my ridiculously long post. Try things like Kind bars, homemade trail mix, flavored greek yogurt, chocolate dipped strawberries or white chocolate bark with dried fruit and nuts. They are delicious and might take the sweet craving away with less calories.

I hope you find what works for you!

ETA - oh, and learn to listen to your body signals. Are you really hungry? Is it your hormones talking? Are you just bored? I'm working hard to learn mine and to LISTEN to them. Sometimes it is easier than others.... ;-)
  • therapyruns
    therapyruns Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    first of all, you need to get moving and I would suggest starting out with walking. and you also need to accept the fact that fruits and veggies have all the nutritional value that you need versus pies, cakes, cookies, etc that have zero value, which is leaving you empty, hungry, overweight and craving for more.

the problem is you are hoping to live in extremes and wake up one day and just cut out all junk food. this is not going to happen. your body is used to these foods and it won't work by stopping cold turkey. you can keep a few chocolate treats in the house, but how about instead of a straight chocolate milk shake you cut out some of the chocolate/milk and add a half banana and maybe even protein powder. or you could buy fresh fruits and make a great fruit smoothie.

for veggies, I highly suggest buying carrots, celery, tomatoes, cucumbers and start dipping those in hummus. for the sweet craving, you can go with celery and pb.

once you start replacing the junk with healthy foods, you will notice a major difference in your cravings and energy levels. be sure to drink plenty of water and get adequate sleep. no change is easy, so taking it slow is my best advice. good luck!
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Well, it's not a magic button, but you can start by saying outloud: I don't eat cookies or I don't eat pie rather than I can't eat cookies or pie. Your brain responds differently to these two messages. Can't equals depravation whereas Don't equals choice. Your mind believes what you tell it. As others have stated, you have to reach the point that being fit and healthy is more important to you than the taste of chocolate pie. Then you start telling your brain that this is what is going to happen.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I love sweets! So the biggest thing that helped me was to accept that you can still have these things BUT in moderation. In other words I allow myself a treat everyday. I save 100-150 calories for something sweet (or a glass of wine:drinker: ). Skinny cow has great products under 150 calories. Or sometimes I'll have a few pieces of hershey's kisses. It's all about moderation and making sure it fits into your calorie goal. Get out there and exercise, eat healthy, save a few calories for a treat at the end of the day!
  • M0Sanders
    M0Sanders Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have read some of the comments and would like to say first, don't let the negative comments discourage you. Also, because I only read some of the comments this may be duplicate information. I noticed in your post, you acknowledge that God has helped you through situations. This situation is not any different, He is concerned with every area that concerns you.

Be encouraged, once you start it gets easier AND you will find that eventually you will not want the bad things (as much). Sweets will become a treat and not a way of life.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Are you logging calories. If not, maybe that is where you can start, so you can see actual numbers associated with what you are doing. Once you start to make small changes, you can see those numbers change. It might be very motivating for you. When I started logging my intake, I could see right away where small changes could make a big difference. Best of luck to you. Only you can do it. We can not slap the cookie out of your hand :).
  • Wende3
    Wende3 Posts: 41
    Options
    Try taking bikini pictures of yourself and then look at them whenever you want to reach for the goodies. It kills the appetite.
  • merapp9
    merapp9 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to food! lol...I swear! I still fall off the band wagon and eat a bunch of junk...chocolate cookies, cakes, cookie dough...so bad and then I beat myself up because what i did and how I didn't see any good results...well I stopped trying to voice that and just moved on...only I can change what I do and if I just stick with it, weigh in the same day every week, I started to see results...and I also keep telling myself, the longer I go healthy eating wise, the better the results. It works...if I could do it, so can you. Here's a cute little questions..would you rather have a compliment or a cookie? YOU CAN DO IT!!