Junk food Junkie!

Options

Replies

• gnclausen
    Options
    I love sweets! So the biggest thing that helped me was to accept that you can still have these things BUT in moderation. In other words I allow myself a treat everyday. I save 100-150 calories for something sweet (or a glass of wine:drinker: ). Skinny cow has great products under 150 calories. Or sometimes I'll have a few pieces of hershey's kisses. It's all about moderation and making sure it fits into your calorie goal. Get out there and exercise, eat healthy, save a few calories for a treat at the end of the day!

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding!!! We have a winner. Have done exactly what Lizzie says above for the last 6 months and lost over 55 pounds to date. I prefer Godiva chocolate though and love those skinny cow truffle bars. I have a dessert almost every night.
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    OK... moderation is the key -- at first you shouldn't try to say NO to everything, just say only one of these. Eat slow learn how to enjoy it... didn't create the bad habits over night, shouldn't try to changed them in that way.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    The thing that helped me was to start REALLY small. Go from having soda every day to every other day. Then cut dessert from after lunch AND dinner to just after dinner...etc. This is what I did and having tried and failed to lose weight a million times before, this is the only thing that has ever worked for me. Like you said, you are breaking old habits and creating new ones. You will have weak moments where you are sick and tired of being healthy and just want a damn milkshake. Give in or not, but know that it will set you back if you do.

Take baby steps. Take it literally one day at a time. It's a long process but worth it I promise!
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Okay. I know some folks are offended by references to God and faith and whatnot. But since you referenced God in your original post, I'm gonna go there.

Recently I began a bible study based on a book by Lysa Terkheurst called "Made to Crave". It's great if you have the time to read it. It's a fairly quick read. Anyway, a couple things I've heard so far are making a big difference for me so far in my efforts at a lifestyle change. The first thing she said that hit me was "you crave what you eat". In other words, eating salty snacks begats a craving for salty snacks. For me, until I am able to eat them with moderation, I've chosen to cut the usual suspects (Cheezits, Potato Chips, Chex Mix, etc.) out of my diet. Same goes with me and candy, my other Achiles Heel. Most "diets" tell you not to cut stuff out because otherwise you will just go crazy from deprivation and over indulge. I can't argue with that. All I can say is that for me, I'm replacing those snacks with other items that may or may not have the same sodium, but because they aren't the source of my craving, I'm able to eat them in moderation. For example, some afternoons when I want something salty, I'll eat a serving of beef jerky. High in protein, salty like I like, but breaks the cycle of the useless calorie salty stuff. Candy I've just had to step away from for now. I don't think giving up salty snacks and candy has to be a forever thing for me. Just until I feel I can consume them in moderation.

The second thing she said that hit home for me was "You Were Made For More Than This". I was not put on this earth to fight this weight/food struggle every day. God has something else in mind for me. So I am trying hard to focus on eating to live, rather than living to eat. Not sure that makes any sense as I sit here and read what I've written. But I want time in my life to focus on just what it is God has made me for, and not so much on when I can eat next, what I can eat next, and oh my gosh I can't believe I ate that, I wanna throw up.

To anyone who does not share my Christian faith, I apologize if my discussing it offends you. But I think there are applicable principles here even if you remove the God from it.

Thanks for reading.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    As cmcollins001 pointed out - you already have it figured out. Now take steps!

My ah-ha moment came one month ago (almost exactly). I was standing in my bedroom upstairs so stuffed from grazing all day and eating dinner that I was beyond miserable. Then I started thinking about the sherbet in the freezer. And all of a sudden the scales fell from my inner eyes, and I realized that I was doing it to myself and would continue doing it to myself unless I changed my life.

It was a revelation. I'd always excused my behaivor as "I can't help it," "it's like some munchie monster takes over my body". None of that was true. I was stuffing myself because it made me so miserable that I couldn't face the hard issues in my life.

The same is true of you, I believe. You absolutely can control it. You can do what you want to do.
  • lisabruce12
    lisabruce12 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    There is no easy button but i sure wish there was! They say if you do something for a month it will become habit. You just have to make up your mind and do it! It is not easy though. As far as fruits and veggies go... try adding a fruit and a veggie each day. Try some that you have never tried. You may find something you like. Yogurt with fruit in it, put cheese on veggies, there are also juices that count too.
    Good luck on you weight loss mission. Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like.
  • Christinamlevar
    Christinamlevar Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am the same way! I try not to keep junk in the house so if I really want it I have to go out and get it. I get the nagging craving for something chocolatey every night after the kids go to bed. But if its not in the house I can't eat it, if I'm lazy, in pj's, or my husbands not home I can't go out and get a sugar fix.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    I am the type that can't just cut it off completely. If i find I'm very active some days, A cookie here, or a slice there, will not kill me. It's all about moderation. If i cut it out, I'm most likely going to binge..and that has been a big struggle the last couple of years.
  • vvanm
    vvanm Posts: 157
    Options
    Eat 80% healthy and allow yourself one treat a day. I had dessert instead of dinner often to keep my calories in check, but breakfast and lunch were really nutritious. It's even better if you have to go out for one dessert if you really want it. That keeps it to one serving size. Shave your calories by reducing portions. A chocolate milkshake is doable at half the portion, and drink it slow so it feels like more. My favorite ice cream treat is Dreyers slow churned, half fat, in an ice cream cone = 140 calories. Have something before the treat so you don't use multiple high calorie treats to fill up. Your brain will make better choices if you get the daily nutrients in FIRST. Often it's craving nutrients, but in today's world it gets confused by sugar, salt and fat.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    All you have to do is eat less calories than you burn. That's it! You can eat all of your calories in junk if you want. That said, you'll probably feel a lot better if you eat healthier foods. Aim for 75% healthy and 25% junk or something. Eventually it might be easier for you to move to almost all healthy food.

I actually save my junk food for the end of the night so I have something to be excited about and look forward to. And keep less junk in the house. One box of whatever junk you're going to eat that week, or something.
  • lkcuts
    lkcuts Posts: 224
    Options
    First of all don't go to the store hungry so you won't pick up the "junk". Good news is you can have that chocolate shake, but lean it up with either skim milk,low fat yogurt I hear skinny cow ice cream is good instead of chocolate syrup use Hershey's cocoa powder and add truvia if its not sweet enough.You can add fruit in the mix to make it like a banana split for instance. You can add anything to your diet on here as long as its within your calories plus healthy it up. You could swap that up for a lunch if you add protein powder. Take the kids to the park and walk,play ball etc. You are setting the example here by training them in their eating habits and excersize so they will not grow up with bad habits to make them obese adults. Start in the store at the produce section,go to the meats,then breads and dairy. Stay basic and stay out of the middle isles unless its for tomato sauce,whole wheat pasta or rice, or condiments. Learn to read labels for added sugars and sodium in the product and cook more fresh. Getting away from the processed foods as much as possible really helps. Good luck
  • Danam48
    Danam48 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Seems like eveyone on here has great advice about food,so I am going to take another angle. Stop telling yourself that you have NO SELF CONTROL!! Self talk creates your reality- so choose your words wisely and stop attracting what you don't want.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I do the same as many are suggesting - have a treat every day. I've been having Jamba sorbet bars as a bedtime snack lately - soooooooooo good, and 70-90 calories each.

I also have a small square of really good dark chocolate a few days a week if I've earned it with a vigorous workout. Such sweet reward!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    As long as I let myself have some "junk" food, I usually don't mind limiting myself to 1 piece/slice/cookie/portion.
  • BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    I don't think you want to lose weight bad enough, because EVERYONE, every single person here on MFP, had to give something up or change their life around to make that first step. You need to be ready to commit and you are not there just yet. :smile:
  • mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    The more sugary treats you consume, the more your body will crave it. Clean out your pantry and get rid of ALL the junkfood. It's time to rediscover your fruits and veggies! If you use a little creativity you may find there are plenty of healthy and tasty snacking options.

I can't imagine you dislike all fruit and vegetables? How about an apple with a spoon of peanut butter or fresh berries and yogurt? You don't have to eat raw celery and carrot sticks. Instead you can cut up carrots, zuchini, and onions and roast them in your oven with a pinch of extra virgin olive oil and salt and pepper. Have you ever tasted a roasted carrot? It tastes like candy!

I definitely would rather eat a slice of pizza instead of a salad, but you have to ask yourself if small sacrifices are worth losing the weight. Find what types of healthy foods you do like and make baby steps every day until you are heading in the right direction!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Portion control! Have half a piece of pie (share with your kids if you need to!). Have ONE cookie. Half a milk shake. And not all in one day.

The best thing I've learned is that I don't have to eat it ALL right away. I typically only eat half of what I want to eat, and most of the time that's enough.

I also don't keep junk in the house. If I want ice cream we have to go out for it. My kids don't need it either! I like to bake, so we will have home made desserts when there's a party or special occasion. Those days are hard for me LOL.
  • Marksman21
    Marksman21 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Oh I hear your pain. I'm always one for good food, and junk food is no exception. I could finish a lotta stuff and not think of the consequences. I couldn't stop cold turkey, every time I tried, I snuck something in for the craving. There's no quick fix, but there is hope ... weaning yourself off the stuff.

Is it hard? Yeah, still is. Is it doable? A LOT more doable than most ways I heard.

Essentially, your Cheat Days are probably your savior in this regard. Take that one day in the week and indulge. No worries there. And even then, if its in your calorie range, why not treat yourself to something good in the process. Every now and then, I tug down a bag of Sour Patch Kids, or maybe a candy bar. Ain't gonna kill me, but it'll curb that need for a bit.

Best part is, though, you DON'T have to toss it all out for the sake of a diet. Even on a running loss of weight, I still have a good ol' cheese burger or a nice sugary piece of cake or even ice cream. Trick is to moderate it. Once you start getting into rhythm, you'll know when and where you can have that great sweet treat. And heck, there's a lotta healthy sweet treats out there that are just downright enjoyable.

Veggies and stuff are TOUGH to add if you don't have a liking for them, but if you can 'trick' yourself, you can find it far easier. A lotta foods require you to process it all together, most of the time, you won't even notice it. Take a good SantaFe Chili for example, beef, tomato, corn, beans, etc, its all good for ya, but how you put it together will not just have you enjoying those veggies, but feeling full on them too!
  • AnneC77
    AnneC77 Posts: 284
    Options
    I think 80% of MFP know how you feel otherwise we would not be here. As long as we know our flaws, we can act on them. You know yours so now you need to decide if this is for you. if you really want to lose weight, then get all the foods that you 'pig on' out of the house! Get healthier foods and snacks. That is your first step, your second step is to not look at this as a diet, it is a LIFE CHANGE! Diets do not work long time, you need to know that this is your way of life from now on. Once you realise that, you can start making the right choices and beat this! Like someone posted before, you do know what you need to do. What you need to think about now is, is your life worth it? Good Luck!
  • NoMoreExcuses1971
    NoMoreExcuses1971 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Ouch, that was kind of harsh!!!!
    PLEEEEEEEEEEEEASE HELP!

Blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah......I HAVE NO SELF CONTROL!

blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah... I'm not going to lose the weight no matter how much I exercise if I don't eat right.

blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah... SAY NO to the bad and YES to the good!

blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...blah... "you're an idiot Rhonda, just do it and lose 20 pounds!"

Thanks for listening folks!

God Bless.

Sounds like you have it figured out, you just need to do it.