Quick protein heavy breakfast options

I've been wanting to start my day with a protein, but I get up at 6:00 a.m., so the whole getting up earlier to make myself an egg thing, isn't going to happen. I need something quick (possibly something that can be made the night before). I tried to make scrambled eggs the night before and then heat them up the next day, but ew. Any other options? Thanks!

Replies

• Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    Hmm...I get up at 4:30am each day and come home at ~7:30pm...and I still cook breakfast and prep meals for myself each morning...Just saying, you can do it to.

High protein breakfast? Well have you got some protein powder? Try 2 scoops, half a mug full of ice, .5 cup milk, some natural PB, and maybe some coaco powder. That's simple and effective.

However if you want to do things right. 6 eggs, 3 yolks, 4oz smoked ham, reggiano cheese. Whip it into an omelet. Takes only a couple minutes longer than the shake.
  • That omlet does sound delicious, but you're a stronger man than I, to get up that early. ^_~ But I was thinking a shake might be a good option. Any recommendations on a good powder?
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Hard boiled eggs - You can boil and peel a batch and keep them in the fridge in a ziplock bag for the work week.

I also make no-oatmeal that only takes a minute or two. Two raw eggs, a banana (or similar amount of baked sweet potato or pumpkin), couple dollops of peanut or almond butter, splash of milk, cinnamon and whatever spices you want. Mash it up in a bowl*, microwave for 30 seconds and stir, repeat until it's all heated through and you think the eggs have cooked.

*you can do that the night before and keep it in the fridge to microwave in the morning.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    boiled eggs, protein shake, cottage cheese, greek yogurt
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,953 Member
    Once a week I bake a big egg frittata thing then we just cut a chunk out and nuke it as we need it. The basics are eggs, a splash of milk or cream, mustard powder, salt and pepper and some cheese. Then we vary it depending on what I'm in the mood for or what's on hand, Peppers, chicken, beef, breakfast meat, vegetables of just about any kind, different kinds of cheese...you can do a broad variety with the same basic egg dish and it reheats a whole lot better than scrambled eggs!
  • AndreaGrace29
    AndreaGrace29 Posts: 51 Member
    You can make an omlet at night and throw it in the fridge. I'll sometimes do that. It heats up really nicely in a pan with a lid while you are running around the kitchen packing your lunch in the morning. I wouldnt try the microwave tho.. it'll come out rubbery.

Greek Yogurt is high in protein too! Grab a yogurt and something to go with it - fruit, granola, or a waffle with peanut butter (its actually pretty good!) and that should work for ya.
  • MzStarrQueenB
    MzStarrQueenB Posts: 194 Member
    Slimfast shake with a scoop of plain carb free isopure. :smile:

If you set your mind to it, you can accomplish anything.....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8987-serious-diet-support-group
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Overnight proats
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Scrambled eggs in the microwave takes 2 minutes!

Greek yoghurt with berries
    Overnight oats
    Toast with peanut butter or cottage cheese
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Hmm...I get up at 4:30am each day and come home at ~7:30pm...and I still cook breakfast and prep meals for myself each morning...Just saying, you can do it to.

High protein breakfast? Well have you got some protein powder? Try 2 scoops, half a mug full of ice, .5 cup milk, some natural PB, and maybe some coaco powder. That's simple and effective.

However if you want to do things right. 6 eggs, 3 yolks, 4oz smoked ham, reggiano cheese. Whip it into an omelet. Takes only a couple minutes longer than the shake.

Listen to this ^ guy! He knows his stuff. Just look at him, he's dieseled!!!
  • Boil eggs ahead of time, pre-cooked bacon/sausage, yogurt. nuts, cheese, protein shake, or steak
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    I've been wanting to start my day with a protein, but I get up at 6:00 a.m., so the whole getting up earlier to make myself an egg thing, isn't going to happen. I need something quick (possibly something that can be made the night before). I tried to make scrambled eggs the night before and then heat them up the next day, but ew. Any other options? Thanks!

I make baked oatmeal. I don't do morning cooking either, unless it's on the weekend. i will make a batch and then when they cool off, I portion them in baggies or foil so that every morning, I can just grab my breakfast and go.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member

Listen to this ^ guy! He knows his stuff. Just look at him, he's dieseled!!!

Looking at a "dieseled man" does not suddenly turn one into a morning person. :laugh: :laugh:
  • brown6267
    brown6267 Posts: 476 Member
    1 cup cottage cheese, 1 T protein powder, and 1 T sugar free instant chocolate pudding.

I hate cottage cheese plain but the above tastes great and I can take in a cup to an early morning meeting.
  • I take a protein shake, Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60, 2tbls of natural peanut butter, a tbls of Cocoa Powder mix it all up and gulp it down. Even better with fresh fruit and blended.
  • willafan
    willafan Posts: 101

Quinoa! I make a big pot on Sundays, store it in the fridge and then make a breakfast bowl consisting of Quinoa, Almond Butter, Almonds and Chia Seeds- sometimes sometimes I'll add blueberries. Stick it in the fridge and microwave for 2 minutes in the morning-- sooooo good! Super easy, super delish and very protein heavy.
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    I do oatmeal too (with walnuts, flax, and fruit) or a smoothie. Today I had a pumpkin smoothie...1/2 cup pumpkin, 1 cup organic soy (or almond milk would be fine), 5 almonds, half a banana, 2 tablespoons ground flax, and 1/4 cups rolled oats (ground up in blender.) It was pretty good and had 17 grams protein and 16 fiber.

I do a hemp cacao smoothie a lot too. A banana + 3 tablespoons nutiva hemp powder + 2.5 tablespoons cacao + 10 almond + 1 cup almond/soy milk + handful of ice and blend. If you use almond milk it has 23 protein and 16 fiber and if you use organic soy it has 30 protein and 17 fiber (51 iron too.)
  • Bump - some great ideas are on here!
  • Tkichler
    Tkichler Posts: 26 Member
    I keep some fully cooked sausage links at work and carbmaster yogurt. The links take a whopping 30 seconds in the microwave and they're done.
  • NShapeRunning
    NShapeRunning Posts: 16 Member
    Agree with this guy. It doesn't take but a few minutes to cook a good breakfast. Scrambled eggs and sausage are easy to make and soooo filling. Go for that!