How long before marriage proposal?

Options

Replies

• kelseylou
    kelseylou Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My husband and I had dated when we were 14, then reconnected in 2010. He proposed in February of this year, and we were married in August. So it was a year and two months for us, and I couldn't be happier. My ex proposed a month into our relationship, we were together for four years but never married - and now I know why it didn't work with him. :)
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    13 days, lol.
    We decided to be rational and wait 6 months to make it official though. (rings/announcement/etc).
    We've been friends since I was 4 or 5 though, it wasn't like we had just met.
  • cardiokitten
    cardiokitten Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Going on 3 years and now I'm just waiting for it... lol
  • jrbb03092
    jrbb03092 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Roughly four years and spent another engaged.

We met when we were in university and wanted to wait until we were out of school and employed in our fields before getting married. Now we've been together 22 years and married 17 :)
  • katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    Just over three years. He proposed on New Years at midnight and I had NO idea he was going to do that. Probably getting hitched next year. We were going to go to Vegas this week but our finances didn't agree. Vegas next year, perhaps. We're not in much of a rush.
  • Effpcos
    Effpcos Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    We met June 2000, became "official" couple in Oct 2000, had our son Sept 2001, moved in together Jan 2002 (he was deployed overseas when I was 5mths pregnant so I'd stayed in the same region as both of our parents instead of me moving down to his camp and then being alone while he was overseas), then we got married in March 2003, no actual official proposal or anything, we just decided it was what we wanted.
    So a bit backwards- had a baby, then moved in together, then got married but we've now been together 12years, have five children, and are very very happy!

Edited to add- I'd known his brother for about 18mths before we met, so he wasn't a complete stranger!
  • gretchen1224
    Options
    4 months. married 17+ incredible years. :) I still get butterflies when I see him!
  • Jes_ika
    Jes_ika Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My husband proposed after one year of dating and we married 4 years later.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    At least 2 years I would say. And then I would think about age. I'd want to wait until I get past my early 20's.
  • lindsy721
    lindsy721 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Let's see... my hubby and I were together for 2 years and a few months before he proposed. We went ring shopping after about a year and a half together; we knew we were going to get married after we finished college.
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    About 3.5 years for us.
  • Ash2712
    Ash2712 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    almost 5 months from the day we first met! We moved in together after 3 dates!
    Without sounding insane...we both just knew! My family had a lot to say about it and us moving so fast. So to gain more respect from my father and brothers (I am the only girl), he told me we were having a long engagment. So almost a year and three months later we said I DO! We are have been married 5 years.
  • BioShocked89
    BioShocked89 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I knew about a year and a half into it we wanted to get married. We have already had our first child, and now the only reason he's waiting is because he wants to make more more money before we get married. Right now, he has a chance to get full time work where at his job and it will double his income. He turned in his full-time application the day it became available.

He's told me that if he gets full time, (we should know within the next week) that there will be an engagement ring on my finger before my friend's wedding, this coming June. :D We're really anxious about it because he has a very good chance of getting the full time, but we're dying to know the answer either way at this point.
  • Moe0112
    Moe0112 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Lets see we dated almost 2 years and we were engaged for two years . New years eve we celebrate our one year. It all depends on the couple and what they think right for them. We wanted to be sure my daughter from a previous relationship would ok with the New change. We have friends that got engaged two months after meeting and were married six months later and another who started dating around the same that my husband and I started and they are still dating.
  • luvs2teachincali
    luvs2teachincali Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    My husband and I met online in an audio chatroom, totally not a hookup site or even looking for love... no profiles... just happened. He lived in Missouri. I lived in California. We "talked" every day either via phone, email, or audio chatroom for about 6 months.

He wasn't working. I was teaching.
    I bought him a ticket to come out here for a three week visit, round trip, he never went back "home" and instead made California his home, although he still hates it here. Haha.

Just 3 months later I was pregnant. We talked about marriage but I told him that I NEVER wanted to be the girl that gets married just because she's knocked up. I also didn't want ANYONE ELSE to think that that is why we got married. So I told him I'd need some time. I know we made a baby together, but I wanted to be sure he WAS the ONE. LOL. When our son was about 6 months old, he set the whole thing up... He had my mom babysit overnight and took me to the beach. We sat under the moonlight on the shore and he proposed. It was so mushy and sweet. We got married when our son was 9 months old, but we planned it just a week or two before we did it... 'cause that's just how we roll. Haha. We were so made for each other. So happy I found him. A needle in the haystack. :love:
  • Moe0112
    Moe0112 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Lets see we dated almost 2 years and we were engaged for two years . New years eve we celebrate our one year. It all depends on the couple and what they think right for them. We wanted to be sure my daughter from a previous relationship would ok with the New change. We have friends that got engaged two months after meeting and were married six months later and another who started dating around the same that my husband and I started and they are still dating.
  • erinnia
    erinnia Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My hubby proposed six weeks after first date, and this month we will be celebrating our 19th wedding anniversary!!
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    about 4 and a half years after we got together, about 30 minutes after the positive pregnancy test.
  • awdamm
    awdamm Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    my now husband proposed only 4 month into our relationship. :)

this coming November we will be married for a year. I've never been happier in my life. Sure we have our ups and downs but we pick each other up TALK ABOUT THINGS RIGHT AWAY and are always brutally honest!

love, trust and open communication can get you through most anything!
  • sarahsummers12
    sarahsummers12 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    My hubby proposed 3mths into our relationship - married 9mths later :-)