How long before marriage proposal?

Options

Replies

• Tat2dDom0105
    Options
    I waited about a year and a half before i proposed to my wife. We then waited 2 years to get married......
  • EHeadings
    Options
    You're only 24, don't be in any rush, there's a lot of world to see before you get married!!!

I hate when people say that! You can see then world when you're married too!
  • divinenanny
    divinenanny Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    We were together 6.5 years before he proposed, but we started planning our wedding about a year into the relationship I would say. And we moved in together after about two months of dating :D
  • RumRum85
    RumRum85 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Uhmm... I wouldn't propose before take a couple of holidays together and if those are successfull, after living together for some time, maybe a year.

That if she thinks that marriage is important for some reason... otherwise, forget it, no marriage!
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I waited 2.5 months.......in a long distance relationship....from here :) She's now relocated and moved her and her kids in with me :) it'll be our anniversary on Friday!
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    When you feel ready, it's good.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I proposed to him when we had been together about 1 yr. He had a previous failed marriage so I knew it would take a long time for him to work up to it so I just went for it lol. We got married just over a year after getting engaged and have been married two and a half years now.
  • Tiggermummy
    Tiggermummy Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Met husband at 18
    Started dating at 19
    Engaged at my 21st.

Married 14 years today.
  • fudgecube
    fudgecube Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I love all these stories about only knowing each other for a short time and the marriage being so successful!

I can't help but feel there may be people judging what I've said based on my age, let me reassure you I am not a young 24!

My partner and I have been together for 3.5 years, we moved in with each other after 1.5 years and we both have good stable jobs earning a reasonably high income. We have no kids but we do pay extra to our mortgage every month to pay it off sooner, we take at least 3 holidays a year together, this year we have been to Tenerife and Turkey and have booked Paris for Christmas, last year we visited Sweden, Lanzarote and Dominican Republic, the year before that was Fuerteventura Tunisia and Rome and next year our plans are to take us to Egypt, New York, Las Vegas and Russia so there is nothing in my life I feel is missing or no sense of "lack of experience" I may be 24 but I have done so much with my life after moving out at 16 and having my own place for 6 years before meeting my now boyfriend. I just feel now the time is right for us and wanted to hear how long other people take to make that commitment.
  • PinkHurricane88
    PinkHurricane88 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    He proposed to me after being together 8 months. We are in our first year of marriage and it's the most beautiful relationship I have ever had, he's my best friend, my biggest supporter, my rock, my love! :)

EDIT:
    Age has nothing to do with it, it's all about where you are in your life mentally and maturity wise. Things should always take it's natural course. There are people who are together for a month and get married and have lasted 50 years, and some who were together for years before marriage. Every person is different as is every relationship.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I'd personally not say yes or propose before we move in together...
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I proposed 9 months into our dating relationship. We were married 10 months later - 2 weeks after our college graduation. Been married for 16.5 years now.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I told him not to bother :D

This. Been with my partner for 5 years and have no intention of ever getting married.
  • markus2229
    markus2229 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Words to live by!
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    My husband and I talked about marriage on our first date >_< I think we dated for three months before he proposed then were engaged for nearly three years :P But...we're probably a bit of an anomoly. We were both sick and tired of the dating game and joined a dating site. I specifically put that I was looking for a partner that I could eventually marry and settle down with as I'm sick of the dating game. Kinda a heads up that if you're just looking for a few dates then I'm not the girl, so when we met it came up in conversation :P Worked well or us, but wouldn't recommend it for virtually anyone else.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    My Father waited a month.

They've been married for over 30 years now.
  • tracymnx
    tracymnx Posts: 105
    Options
    4.5 years, he proposed this year in Jan and we got married 3 months ago in July.

I would say dont rush into things, when the time is right it will happen.
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Also, my dad asked my mum to marry him the very day they met (they met over the CB radio and when they met in person he asked her) and every day since until she said yes.
  • claire_90
    Options
    I've never been with anyone where I thought marriage would be the outcome. So without referring to a situation I would like to know my partner for 5 years before a proposal... if I met them before dating then 3 years dating on top of however long I had known them for

*edit* I'm not in anyway religious and to be honest haven't decided 100% if marriage will be right for me. A longterm partner I want, but the religious ceremony and tradition would make me feel like an imposter
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I've been with my boyfriend for 6 years! (Since I was 17) We had a fight once and he proposed. It didn't feel right so I gave him the ring back and 2 years later we're still perfectly good! Although I may have put him off, ooops