Women who heavy lift...

Options
I need your guidance and friendship to help me on my way. I want to change my diet and routine to optimize recovery, burn fat, and build muscle. I have read a lot on Bodybuilding.com, but I am looking for personal experience and find out what has worked for you. So please, if you are out there add me :flowerforyou:

Thank you for your time.

Replies

• MissMollieD
    Options
    Hi, I've added you. Have you started lifting at all? Do you have someone that you can work out with that can help you with form? A lot of people will recommend two books: New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women and Stronglifts. I have never read either of these, but I hear they are a great place to start.

I've written and rewritten my own program several times for myself. I always write it down too, that way I know if I have made any gains. It's hard to remember from workout to workout what I did last time.

First a couple of basics:

Food - Calories come from (3) MACRO-nutrients - Fat, Protein, and Carbs. Everything else (fiber, sugar, saturated fat, etc) is subset of these 3 main biggies - otherwise MICRO-nutrients. Set up your macronutrients so that you are eating at least 1 gram of protein for your body weight - it's a goal, sometimes I hit, sometimes I don't. Make the next highest percentage fat, and then carbs. NOTE, 1 gram of Fat = 9 calories, 1 gram of Protein = 4 calories, and 1 gram of carbs = 4 calories.

Exercise - Muscles are broken down into groups: Back, Chest, Bi's, Tri's, Shoulders, shoulders, legs, and core. You can search bodybuilding.com for muscle groups for each of these. To start - focus on COMPOUND lifts. This will give you the most bang for your buck. In otherwords, it will use more muscles to complete the movement. Many people (including myself) will recommend focusing on the major lifts - Deadlifts, Bench Press, Shoulder Press, Squats, and Pull-Ups. These will hit all muscle groups and because they use so many muscles, you can typically do it more than once a week. As for weights - I would start with 10-12 reps, 3 sets. As you become better at the exercises, you can lower your reps and increase your weight. Make sure you have your form right, but select a weight that you FAIL (i.e. cannot lift the weight again) on your 10, 11, or 12 rep.

That's kind of the basics... :o)
  • trumpeter26
    trumpeter26 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells. SO AWESOME and full body.
  • MissMollieD
    Options
    Just as an aside - deadlifts are a hard lift. Be careful, because if you do them wrong, you will get hurt. But they are super for the bum. :wink:
  • Ghkffb56
    Ghkffb56 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    omg been waiting for one of these ! ADD ME TOO! ^^ need more female friends who lift heavy :D
  • _Kitten_Kate
    _Kitten_Kate Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've added you. Have you started lifting at all? Do you have someone that you can work out with that can help you with form? A lot of people will recommend two books: New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women and Stronglifts. I have never read either of these, but I hear they are a great place to start.

I've written and rewritten my own program several times for myself. I always write it down too, that way I know if I have made any gains. It's hard to remember from workout to workout what I did last time.

Food - Calories come from (3) MACRO-nutrients - Fat, Protein, and Carbs. Everything else (fiber, sugar, saturated fat, etc) is subset of these 3 main biggies - otherwise MICRO-nutrients. Set up your macronutrients so that you are eating at least 1 gram of protein for your body weight - it's a goal, sometimes I hit, sometimes I don't. Make the next highest percentage fat, and then carbs. NOTE, 1 gram of Fat = 9 calories, 1 gram of Protein = 4 calories, and 1 gram of carbs = 4 calories.

Exercise - Muscles are broken down into groups: Back, Chest, Bi's, Tri's, Shoulders, shoulders, legs, and core. You can search bodybuilding.com for muscle groups for each of these. To start - focus on COMPOUND lifts. This will give you the most bang for your buck. In otherwords, it will use more muscles to complete the movement. Many people (including myself) will recommend focusing on the major lifts - Deadlifts, Bench Press, Shoulder Press, Squats, and Pull-Ups. These will hit all muscle groups and because they use so many muscles, you can typically do it more than once a week. As for weights - I would start with 10-12 reps, 3 sets. As you become better at the exercises, you can lower your reps and increase your weight. Make sure you have your form right, but select a weight that you FAIL (i.e. cannot lift the weight again) on your 10, 11, or 12 rep.

Wow that's an awesome reply... Can I add you both?
  • cindybickler
    cindybickler Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i have used Chalean Extreme with awesome results. it is a three month program, and after i finished i lost 10 lbs and lost 6.25".
    i like using the dvd's because i just don't have the time to do the homework and get a good program together for myself. i just pop in the dvd and Chalene tells me what to do. : )
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options

^^^ Pretty much...this girl knows her stuff! Add me if you want! I recently discovered heavy lifting and LOOOOVE it And am in better shape at 40 than EVER!
  • Love2lift72
    Love2lift72 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Not ready for this yet, but it's a goal!!
  • Tyrone_S
    Tyrone_S Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hooray for girls who aren't afraid to lift some proper weight.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Here's a couple of really good video series that will be a great intro for squats, deadlifts, and bench pressing in case you're interested in learning to improve your form. I found these to be extremely helpful as a beginner to have it all broken down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ME8gEN54Ao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHx1gYTA-Rw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp8Sx9dX9LM

Welcome, and good luck reaching your goals! :smile: I'm on hiatus from lifting until my baby comes, then I fully plan on getting back to barbell training.
  • swolegirlcb
    Options
    Good thread. Feel free to add me.
    Also check out my lifting vids on
    http://www.youtube.com/thestrengthguystv
    and http://www.youtube.com/charliebrooke08
  • kramalicious
    Options
    I am glad for this info too, as I am working toward it. My lower body can handle heavy weight now but upper body is lagging behind. Thanks for the great pointers. Eating lots of protein is a must.
  • skolvikes5
    Options
    Nice...it seems miss mollie summed it up nicely. Heavy compound movements are the way to go.
  • RUNN3Rmom
    RUNN3Rmom Posts: 441
    Options
    Just as an aside - deadlifts are a hard lift. Be careful, because if you do them wrong, you will get hurt. But they are super for the bum. :wink:

Yes they are! I can not remember when my butt looked as good as it does now (deadlifting PR 165 1set/6reps :) I agree w/the form though, you will get hurt if not starting off lighter and working on correct form :)

Happy lifting.

(btw, I am using the NROL4W book and there is a great group here that all follow the book in different stages :)
  • skolvikes5
    Options
    Yes..take this slow with lighter weight and build up some muscle memory. Form is key on this movement.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    Cross fit, Kettlebells, work legs watch what you eat it took me about a year then a 20 week training cycle before I got on stage for my first show

good luck work it hard
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Gemma, 26 from Hobart, TAS, Australia

I've just started heavy lifting (week 2 and ouch after legs days :smile: ). I would love some more female friends who lift heavy to get advice on training and eating. Particularly those who have open diaries
  • jennajocummings
    Options
    Bump! I don't have time to read this thread but i love it!! Love lifting heavy and would love some friends who do too. Add me please!! :)
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I added you!
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options

She nailed it! I'm only on my 2nd week of a fully body, heavy lifting routine and I have to say that I get a better workout in 30 mins now doing compound lifts than I was getting doing close to 2 hours of isolated lifts on a 3 day split.

This is the routine I've started doing which was recommended to me...
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147447933

Anyone can add me as well.