Will I ever be good at running?

2»

Replies

• meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    How fast are you attempting to run? Many beginner runners feel like they need to be at a fast pace. If you need to go really slow, that is FINE. Running is hard, do not be discouraged. It just requires a lot of patience and determination. If you are struggling with the first weeks of Couch to 5k, then repeat a week until you feel stronger. You will get there if you are patient and keep at it. In January I couldn't run a mile, 3 weeks ago I ran my first half marathon. You can do it!

I did try to run faster than usual...the most I did was 6 mph because I had heard that's the average running pace for most people. I felt like I was going so slow at my usual 5mph, but maybe I need to stay there until I can do more.
    ^^ exactly! Running at 6mph was my GOAL for about a year. Its much too fast for someone just starting out. Running at 5mph with some walking breaks as necessary is really where you should be starting out. Even if it feels too slow at first, after 5 or 10 minutes you'll be glad you are taking it easy. If you can still talk while you're running, you are doing it right.
    My biggest recommendation for those starting out is to plan your walking/rest intervals and stick to them. Don't just stop and walk when you get tired and run again when you feel like it. Commit to run/walk intervals and stick with them. Your body may protest a bit at first but if you've set reasonable goals, it will feel great to overcome that urge to stop and walk for an extra 30 seconds or so. And make sure your walk breaks are timed too - 1-2 minutes walking should be more than enough but it will fly by if you aren't paying attention.
    Good luck! :drinker:
  • pabscabs
    pabscabs Posts: 61 Member
    You're trying to go too fast. The run portions of your c25k workouts should leave you able to speak in complete sentences. Don't worry about going fast, concentrate on getting the endurance to go the distance. Speed will come with time. Run at a comfortable pace and you'll do much better. A year and a half or so ago I started c25k at around 5-5.5 mph, these day I can maintain 7 mph for literally hours, and my 5K time is close to 8 mph. It's just a matter of keeping at it.

*** Absolutely agree. Take smaller steps and slow down. Put some music on and enjoy yourself. Walk if you have to but don't quit.
    I hate running and my goal is running a half marathon in April. Anyone got any tips on what their doing for training? I am going to start with a few 5Ks then move to several 10Ks. Once I have several 10Ks under my belt I will shoot for a half marathon.

*** I'm running a full marathon on the 29th October. I've been running 3 years (very slowly) and done about 4 half's. Tips for training are not to overdo it. When you get to the races try and make sure you are not carrying any injuries. Build the mieage slowly on the long runs at the weekend. there are loads of training programs on line. Pick a conservative one.

Eh...why? I mean, I'm doing a half In a couple weeks with plans for a full next year, but I like running. Why kill yourself doing something you hate? A marathon is a *huge* commitment, you'll spend literally three to four hours on the weekend doing your long runs. I did 1:45 on the 12 miler last Sunday before the taper on my half program, you're looking at close to twice that for a marathon training long run. Do you really want to spend 15 hours a week doing something you hate just to get a finisher medal? Find an exercise you enjoy doing, or stick with running and do fitness distances like 5-10k. A marathon is something you really have to want to do.

*** 1:45 for 12 is a very good time. Looks like your going to break 2 hours easy. 2 hours is the fastest I've run a half in. After the marathon my next goal is to run a half in sub 1:50 which I might not achieve. You could achieve that goal on your first half marathon which is very impressive!!

I ran 20 on Sunday averaging 10:20 a mile. You are right about commitment it takes up a lot of time away from the kids and pretty much everything else. After 18 miles it's all about pain and willpower. If you can't find something to love in what you are doing you have to question whether you want to put yourself through it.

Maybe like me you'll fall in love with the time to yourself, your city and the things you learn about yourself when it's really hard, slow and painful. I don't think a marathon is a race for most us, it's a simple contest your Will (or Soul) versus your body.
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    *** 1:45 for 12 is a very good time. Looks like your going to break 2 hours easy. 2 hours is the fastest I've run a half in. After the marathon my next goal is to run a half in sub 1:50 which I might not achieve. You could achieve that goal on your first half marathon which is very impressive!!

I ran 20 on Sunday averaging 10:20 a mile. You are right about commitment it takes up a lot of time away from the kids and pretty much everything else. After 18 miles it's all about pain and willpower. If you can't find something to love in what you are doing you have to question whether you want to put yourself through it.

Maybe like me you'll fall in love with the time to yourself, your city and the things you learn about yourself when it's really hard, slow and painful. I don't think a marathon is a race for most us, it's a simple contest your Will (or Soul) versus your body.
    Oh, I'm not worried about the time it'll take for myself, I was asking the guy I quoted why he would want to spend all that time when he admits to hating running. Why torture yourself doing something you hate? It's not like you need to run a half or a marathon to be "fit"... that's way beyond fit.