Vegetarians

Options

Replies

• FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegan, but the only way it helps me with my weight is that the baked goods and fast food restaurants that seem to be everywhere aren't temptations to me because I know I can't eat them. However, there is plenty I can eat, so keeping my weight in check is still a very conscious process. There's plenty of vegan junk food, and even eating "whole foods" can add up. I love me some cashews.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I eat meat... lots of it. My triglycerides are fine. My cholesterol is fine. My blood pressure is fine. I lose weight easily and I've never had a plateau. I like meat. Flame on.
  • kinrsa
    kinrsa Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I eat meat... lots of it. My triglycerides are fine. My cholesterol is fine. My blood pressure is fine. I lose weight easily and I've never had a plateau. I like meat. Flame on.

Good. I'm glad you're healthy & that you enjoy what you eat. I do as well, though we eat different things. I don't get why so many people think that there's only one way to eat healthily, or why that way always has to be their way. Shrug.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I'd like to mention that simply because your diet lacks meat/animal products does NOT mean that you are automatically healthier.

I am a vegetarian and have always been a vegetarian my entire life. (actually i was vegan for the first five years of my life) I never developed the enzymes to digest meat.

Now that aside, That did NOT stop me from eating doritos, bean burritos, fried dumplings, egg rolls, cheese pizza, ranch on everything, cheesecake, ice cream etc. etc. etc. While i can't personally see myself eating meat, ever (the digestive problems aside) It is by no means a way to "lose weight" simply by cutting meat.

Your diet should have sufficient fruits and vegetables regardless of whether you eat meat. Besides, protien is extremely important and I can tell you from experience cutting calories and not maintaining a sufficient level of protein put me right on track for an unfavorable body composition. I HAVE to supplement protien in my diet. And that sucks, darnit!
  • jg627
    Options

Good. I'm glad you're healthy & that you enjoy what you eat. I do as well, though we eat different things. I don't get why so many people think that there's only one way to eat healthily, or why that way always has to be their way. Shrug.
    You can eat whatever you want.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian for about three years previously, mainly for ethical reasons. I eventually quit because I lived in a house with 5 other people who were not vegetarian, and I wimped out. However, in March of this year I was facing some health problems, and happened to see several documentaries on the benefits of a plant based diet, and made the decision to switch to a plant based diet. I do not say that I am vegan, because every once in a while I might have something with cheese or another non-vegan ingredient in it, but this is very rare. Every one of the health issues I had has cleared up, plus there have been a ton of other great benefits for me. My energy level is sky high, my skin looks fabulous (no more lotion, no more break outs, and several people have said that I glow), just to name a couple. For me, it was the best decision I have ever made. Oh, and I have lost 95 pounds since then also. Weight loss was not necessarily my main goal, but it was up there.

I also do not preach to other people about my food choices, and believe everyone has to choose for themselves. But there are a lot of people in my life that were skeptical at first and now support what I am doing. My husband, who is a typical meat and potatoes southern boy(and a fireman), has not eliminated meat completely, but eats only salmon and a TON more fruits and veggies. I love the food that I am eating, and do not miss meat or cheese a bit. When I was vegetarian previously, I was always one of those people who said that I could never give up cheese. But I do not miss it at all.
  • theCoke
    theCoke Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Why do meat eaters get so defensive?!

It has been my experience *working at a college kitchen/cafeteria with hundreds of students and feeding thousands of students* that vegetarians *like myself ;)* are in general WAY more health concious and knowledgable about food.
  • jg627
    Options
    Why do meat eaters get so defensive?!

It has been my experience *working at a college kitchen/cafeteria with hundreds of students and feeding thousands of students* that vegetarians *like myself ;)* are in general WAY more health concious and knowledgable about food.
    Because.
  • Cyriatan
    Cyriatan Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    As a vegetarian (I've been vegan for many years and started to take eggs and milk some months ago because of some health problems) I won't encourage nobody to follow this diet just for losing weight, it just doesn't make any sense. Becoming vegetarian requires from you, in order to be healthy, to learn, study and dedicate quite a bunch of time to nutrition and similar matters. Specially if you're becoming vegan. It's true that, being more aware of what your body needs will lead to better choices and having the knowledge is having the power. Is the same with almost everything. Given that, what should be encouraged is to be responsible with your body, health and nutrition, not being vegetarian. Being vegetarian is completely unneeded to be healthy. Health comes from a solid diet, which provides all your macronutrients and micronutrients. This can be done perfectly eating meat, not eating it or even not eating anything from an animal source. We, afortunately, has now the technology and knowledge to make it possible. But being vegetarian in tearms of a responsible individual -concearning health- does not add any benefit. It's true, however, that becoming vegetarian thus limiting the sources of food will cause if done the right way to include more sources full of micronutrients and less bad-fats (for example) sources. But you can perfectly turn yourself to bags and bags of peanuts and tons of avocados thinking in their good fats which you know because you read it somewhere the net a veg. really need them and become obese. Don't really know why or how much, but hey, at least you searched it. You can also turn to the caloric, fatty fried foods and basically eat nothing more than carbs.

In short: turning veg. for losing weight or improving health with no ethical interest at all in the medium comes from ignorance, thus irresponsabilty regarding yourself. I only see it beneficial regarding some weak power of self-constraint, like "I won't eat that fatty steak because I don't eat meat" but hey, that's kind of weak and childish. Sure, being vegan will make difficult to eat those cupcakes in the market but hey, you can make them in home. If that's your reason to not eat some food, in most cases this will lead to failure. Pushing people to educate themselves regarding something as important as the foundation of their health, their diet, is needed. Pushing them to be a vegetarian is continuing the irresponsability, and I'd say is kind of little honest, like pushing vegetarinism into people promising results without giving them the knowledge (ergo, the possibility to CHOOSE).

All the benefits of a vegetarian diet comes from a diet that provides what your body needs. Is a vegetarian diet better on this? No, is the knowledge behind your diet, the control you have over your own decisions regarding your health what makes you a healthy person. An aware of this person who has a diet including meat will consider consuming some kind of meats with some frequency instead of the fatty steak and will look to have a complete micronutrient profile. The learned vegetarian will choose to assure an adequate intake of protein instead of having carbs and fat everywhere. I have yet not seen anything saying that limiting food sources given sufficiently educated individuals provides any added benefit when following a vegetarian diet.
  • sadiemann
    Options
    I've always considered it because I've never been a huge meat eater anyway. Mostly because I sometimes have issues with handling raw meat.

So now that I've been trying to live a healthier lifestyle I'm strongly considering it. I think it'll be a bit easier for me to do so because I have two co-workers who are vegetarians and we typically eat lunch together every day. That's motivation for me to go ahead and take the plunge.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    The mere research it takes to be a vegan or vegetarian is rewarding in itself to find food. By learning our foods, we respect and enjoy meals way better I've at least personally experienced.

I agree. Mindlessly eating whatever is in front of you can easily add on pounds. When you have to "hunt" a little more for your food, you are using your brain and thinking critically, which is also good for your health! :)

I'm going to pretend I didn't read either of these comments. Backing away now.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    if one wanted to loose weight it would be better to stick to their current diet and improve it. if one wanted to make it more difficult and more complicated one could become vegetarian at the same time. vegetarianism isn't easy if you are just getting into it. in my opinion it takes more care to make sure you have a balanced diet.

I've been vegetarian for 15 years. this thread is why I dont like vegetarians and dont tell people I am one.

I know you think you're not, but you are preaching.

stop making me look bad.

xoxo
  • Samanthaskywalker
    Samanthaskywalker Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    In a few months it will be 21 years since I've had red meat and it's been over 17 since I've eaten pork or poultry. I am not a vegan so I eat dairy products and seafood. Unless you are making a commitment to eat whole foods only you still have to worry about your sodium as that's what I am struggling with right now since the meat substitutes are full of sodium. I'm not so sure how sustainable being a vegetarian is if you are just doing it for diet purposes. I have a passion for animals and after seeing what happens on factory farms just cannot bring myself to eat them so it's easy for me to not eat meat but strictly for calorie purposes I don't know. I can splurge plenty on pizza, fries, ice cream, chinese food, candy, cake and whatever else and believe me I do! Although the removal of animal fat from your diet does have huge positive impacts on your health. Power to you and good luck if you are trying it!!!

I feel the same way about animal cruelty and the guilt I feel when eating meat is one reason I'm removing it from my diet.
    Unfortunately, the dairy industry plays a huge role in the animal cruelty that goes on, and if you're unaware of it I would encourage you to do some research on that.
  • Keltinator
    Options
    I'm sure you are aware of this, but not all of us have diets that are "saturated" in meat. I find myself eating VERY little meat not out of choice, but out of habit. It negatively impacts my health. My protein and iron levels are very low, usually under half what I'm supposed to get, daily. I have been anemic for most of my teenagerdom/adulthood. Cutting out meat is simply not an option for some. I'm working on eating more healthily using MFP.

I'm not arguing your post. Vegetarianism helps a lot of people lose weight. It isn't a one-size-fits-all fix, though.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for almost a year now. But, don't think that just because you cut meat out of your diet that you don't have to make any other changes. In fact, you can be a vegetarian and not eat any fruits or vegetables (think french fries and doughnuts! So, don't think that just because you make the switch, that you will lose a ton of weight!
  • Samanthaskywalker
    Options
    if one wanted to loose weight it would be better to stick to their current diet and improve it. if one wanted to make it more difficult and more complicated one could become vegetarian at the same time. vegetarianism isn't easy if you are just getting into it. in my opinion it takes more care to make sure you have a balanced diet.

I've been vegetarian for 15 years. this thread is why I dont like vegetarians and dont tell people I am one.

I know you think you're not, but you are preaching.

stop making me look bad.

xoxo

I started this thread to help people who are struggling with their health to think outside the box, not to preach. It's more of a "Did you know?" than a "You should do this," which I don't want to do. Sorry if you interpret it that way. At the end of the day, I respect everyone's choices, regardless of how bad or good they are. Simply talking about vegetarianism doesn't make vegetarians look bad, so I don't even know where you got that from.
  • Samanthaskywalker
    Options
    @Evey, I agree...over the years I've had so many people challenge me on my vegetarianism like it's a personal statement against them that I'm not eating what they eat. It would definitely be more easy on me if I did eat meat so I would 'conform' but it's just not right for me. I am lucky, my family has never challenged me on my decision. I always tell new people that I meet 'it doesn't bother me if you eat it as long as it doesn't bother you that I don't.'

I find more often than not that the arguments/discussions I get in about eating meat are started by those who eat it, not the other way around. I wish I could mind my own business and just eat my vegetables without people getting in my face about it. By posting this thread I know I'm asking for it, and I'm not surprised by the irrelevant attacks on vegetarianism. I was hoping to have more positive posts but there are a lot of people who are offended by what I've said.

I'm simply inviting others to explore the benefits of reducing meat in your diet.
  • Samanthaskywalker
    Options
    There are plenty of good reasons to be a vegetarian, but weight loss isn't one of them.

Nor is a diet that lacks meat necessarily healthier than one that includes it.

Why wouldn't weight loss be a good reason? Isn't weight loss most people here's goal? Doesn't weight loss lead to reduced risk of cardiovascular disease, diabetes, cancer, hypertension and other issues?
  • jg627
    Options
    @Evey, I agree...over the years I've had so many people challenge me on my vegetarianism like it's a personal statement against them that I'm not eating what they eat. It would definitely be more easy on me if I did eat meat so I would 'conform' but it's just not right for me. I am lucky, my family has never challenged me on my decision. I always tell new people that I meet 'it doesn't bother me if you eat it as long as it doesn't bother you that I don't.'

I find more often than not that the arguments/discussions I get in about eating meat are started by those who eat it, not the other way around. I wish I could mind my own business and just eat my vegetables without people getting in my face about it. By posting this thread I know I'm asking for it, and I'm not surprised by the irrelevant attacks on vegetarianism. I was hoping to have more positive posts but there are a lot of people who are offended by what I've said.

I'm simply inviting others to explore the benefits of reducing meat in your diet.
    Who irreverently attacked you? Did they PM you? Report it.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    It was changing to a vegan diet that put the weight on in the first place!

Basically, because the proteins in a vegan diet are incomplete on their own and also loaded with carbohydrates I needed more foods overall than in a vegetarian or meat eating diet where proteins can be more concentrated and lower in calories.

I have had to add eggs and milk to my diet in order to lose weight and maintain muscle. I may not like it ethically but that is where I have to be to maintain my own health I feel.

Not all vegans are slim!