Vegetarians

Replies

• Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    The mere research it takes to be a vegan or vegetarian is rewarding in itself to find food. By learning our foods, we respect and enjoy meals way better I've at least personally experienced.

I agree. Mindlessly eating whatever is in front of you can easily add on pounds. When you have to "hunt" a little more for your food, you are using your brain and thinking critically, which is also good for your health! :)

I'm going to pretend I didn't read either of these comments. Backing away now.

Hang on -- wait for me -- I'll get my coat!!
  • Samanthaskywalker
    Samanthaskywalker Posts: 27 Member
    Why is it that vegetarians want meat eaters to accept them yet they are not accepting or tolerant of the meat eaters? Why are vegetarians always eating highly processed meat substitutes to replace what they don't get from meat?

Why are the majority of athletes meat eaters if eating vegetarian is so much better for you?

Why is every study done that concludes meat is good for you considered by the veggie eatiers to be untrustworthy?

I believe fruits and vegetables to be healthy and even essential to a well balanced diet. I also believe meat and other animal products to be essential to a well balanced diet. Cutting out items from your diet just because they are animal products and not on the merits of whether or not they are good for you seems to me to be counter intuitive.

Anytime a scientific study is conducted, it's important to research who funded the study. If meat industry affiliates funded, conducted and reported the study, and the results conclude that meat is good for you and absolutely no adverse health effects are caused by it, then common sense should tell you that it's biased and therefore not exactly trustworthy.
  • Samanthaskywalker
    I am of two minds on this topic.

My sister is a "vegan" and although she is educated on the topic, in her case (and I only mean her) it is an eating disorder. She was 175 overweight, had many risk factors, was treated for binge eating disorder and had a gastric bypass. She became a vegan to drop a lot of weight after surgery. Although she doesn't eat meat, she definitely binges on sugar and cheese and then gains weight and has to go back to being a vegan to lose it again. I think a more balanced approach to food would work better for her because she wouldn't always be punishing herself.

I have a friend who doesn't eat very much meat and does not like dairy at all. I saw her blood work and her triglycerides were 61, mine are 240! Her cholesterol was perfect and the good number was excellent. She is just a healthy eater and she certainly doesn't love food the way I do. I think that really helps!

There are lessons to be learned from both of them.

I'm sorry that your sister went through that. I imagine going vegan so suddenly would be very difficult. Yes, a more balanced approach would not only benefit her health but help her gradually become vegan, if that is what she really wanted. I really hope she is doing well now.
  • Samanthaskywalker
    I'd like to mention that simply because your diet lacks meat/animal products does NOT mean that you are automatically healthier.

I am a vegetarian and have always been a vegetarian my entire life. (actually i was vegan for the first five years of my life) I never developed the enzymes to digest meat.

Now that aside, That did NOT stop me from eating doritos, bean burritos, fried dumplings, egg rolls, cheese pizza, ranch on everything, cheesecake, ice cream etc. etc. etc. While i can't personally see myself eating meat, ever (the digestive problems aside) It is by no means a way to "lose weight" simply by cutting meat.

Your diet should have sufficient fruits and vegetables regardless of whether you eat meat. Besides, protien is extremely important and I can tell you from experience cutting calories and not maintaining a sufficient level of protein put me right on track for an unfavorable body composition. I HAVE to supplement protien in my diet. And that sucks, darnit!

I'm glad you brought that up because it's true, and I wanted to get into that originally but my post would have been too long. When removing meat from your diet, it's best to focus on vegetables, fruits, legumes and other whole foods otherwise you are just eating junk food.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    I like how the OP posed the thought because I find that usually these posts tend to come across as holier than thou, then it really should be live and let let.

I think vegetarianism is something that is worth the time to educate ourselves about in our quest for a healthier life. It will suit some people, it won't suit others.

I've done my research, including my cholesterol, BP and all that good stuff, and in the end I choose to be an omnivore. But I do have a couple of friends who are vegetarians. One for most of her life, the other who has only become one in her later years. I'm perfectly happy to accommodate their eating choices when they're over or when we go out, and I will on occasion join them in their meal choices when it sounds really good.

I've never understood why anyone would have a problem with what another person chooses to eat, unless they live in the same household and it's making things awkward.
  • Samanthaskywalker
    I was vegetarian for about three years previously, mainly for ethical reasons. I eventually quit because I lived in a house with 5 other people who were not vegetarian, and I wimped out. However, in March of this year I was facing some health problems, and happened to see several documentaries on the benefits of a plant based diet, and made the decision to switch to a plant based diet. I do not say that I am vegan, because every once in a while I might have something with cheese or another non-vegan ingredient in it, but this is very rare. Every one of the health issues I had has cleared up, plus there have been a ton of other great benefits for me. My energy level is sky high, my skin looks fabulous (no more lotion, no more break outs, and several people have said that I glow), just to name a couple. For me, it was the best decision I have ever made. Oh, and I have lost 95 pounds since then also. Weight loss was not necessarily my main goal, but it was up there.

I also do not preach to other people about my food choices, and believe everyone has to choose for themselves. But there are a lot of people in my life that were skeptical at first and now support what I am doing. My husband, who is a typical meat and potatoes southern boy(and a fireman), has not eliminated meat completely, but eats only salmon and a TON more fruits and veggies. I love the food that I am eating, and do not miss meat or cheese a bit. When I was vegetarian previously, I was always one of those people who said that I could never give up cheese. But I do not miss it at all.

I love your story! Thank you so much for sharing! I bet we have watched some of the same documentaries. They are heart breaking but so important to know the information. Right now I am reading The Food Revolution and it's very good.

I hope to be at your level one day. Removing meat from my diet helps with my GERD, which I've struggled with for many years. I hope one day to be able to stop taking my medication, despite the doctors telling me I'll have it the rest of my life. I'm also concerned about diabetes, colon cancer, depression, dementia/Alzheimer's high blood pressure, and high cholesterol, all of which are present in my family, plus many more!! I do believe focusing on whole foods and very little animal products will help me prevent these diseases. Thank you for being an inspiration!
  • Samanthaskywalker
    I'm sure you are aware of this, but not all of us have diets that are "saturated" in meat. I find myself eating VERY little meat not out of choice, but out of habit. It negatively impacts my health. My protein and iron levels are very low, usually under half what I'm supposed to get, daily. I have been anemic for most of my teenagerdom/adulthood. Cutting out meat is simply not an option for some. I'm working on eating more healthily using MFP.

I'm not arguing your post. Vegetarianism helps a lot of people lose weight. It isn't a one-size-fits-all fix, though.

You are correct about that. Sorry about your anemia. I have had trouble with protein levels too, but have recently gotten it under control by eating nuts, avocados, spinach, and the more fruits and vegetables the more protein you get. Good luck to you!
  • emilygh1974
    emilygh1974 Posts: 65 Member
    I'm a "wanna be" vegetarian on so many levels...
  • Samanthaskywalker
    Why do meat eaters get so defensive?!

It has been my experience *working at a college kitchen/cafeteria with hundreds of students and feeding thousands of students* that vegetarians *like myself ;)* are in general WAY more health concious and knowledgable about food.

I don't know why they get defensive, either. While it's annoying, it mostly makes me laugh.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    AND...let me tell you, I feel so much better since becoming a vegetarian. My headaches are gone, my body is "regular," I have more energy and I don't crave sweets and carbs anymore.

It really is worth a try.

Did you move to your vegetarian diet from a wholefood meat diet, or a bit of a normal, semi-junk diet.
    I'd worry you're jumping to the conclusion that vegetarian==good, rather than eatingbetter==good.
    I think you could achieve the same results but by incorporating red meat, chicken and fish.... just not junk versions of the foods.
  • Samanthaskywalker
    @Evey, I agree...over the years I've had so many people challenge me on my vegetarianism like it's a personal statement against them that I'm not eating what they eat. It would definitely be more easy on me if I did eat meat so I would 'conform' but it's just not right for me. I am lucky, my family has never challenged me on my decision. I always tell new people that I meet 'it doesn't bother me if you eat it as long as it doesn't bother you that I don't.'

I find more often than not that the arguments/discussions I get in about eating meat are started by those who eat it, not the other way around. I wish I could mind my own business and just eat my vegetables without people getting in my face about it. By posting this thread I know I'm asking for it, and I'm not surprised by the irrelevant attacks on vegetarianism. I was hoping to have more positive posts but there are a lot of people who are offended by what I've said.

I'm simply inviting others to explore the benefits of reducing meat in your diet.
    Who irreverently attacked you? Did they PM you? Report it.

Attacks on vegetarianism, not me. I'm a big girl, I'm not going to report people for expressing their opinions. I get it, you are a huge proponent for meat, and that is fine. I congratulate you on the weight you've lost and the health improvements you've made. If you eat as much meat as you claim you do, I just hope it comes from a local source and one that does not torture the animals and inject them with hormones and antibiotics. Your meat can be tainted with a lot of extra chemicals that are detrimental to your health. Even vegetarians must be careful that they're produce doesn't contain high amounts of pesticides or are GMOs. There are pros and cons to both types of diets.
  • Samanthaskywalker
    The mere research it takes to be a vegan or vegetarian is rewarding in itself to find food. By learning our foods, we respect and enjoy meals way better I've at least personally experienced.

I agree. Mindlessly eating whatever is in front of you can easily add on pounds. When you have to "hunt" a little more for your food, you are using your brain and thinking critically, which is also good for your health! :)

I'm going to pretend I didn't read either of these comments. Backing away now.

Hang on -- wait for me -- I'll get my coat!!

I don't get the adverse reactions to these two comments. Do you not think that stimulating your brain is good for your health? Last time I checked, the brain controls all functions of the body, so keeping it healthy can only have positive results on the rest of your body. Makes sense to me.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    @Evey, I agree...over the years I've had so many people challenge me on my vegetarianism like it's a personal statement against them that I'm not eating what they eat. It would definitely be more easy on me if I did eat meat so I would 'conform' but it's just not right for me. I am lucky, my family has never challenged me on my decision. I always tell new people that I meet 'it doesn't bother me if you eat it as long as it doesn't bother you that I don't.'

I find more often than not that the arguments/discussions I get in about eating meat are started by those who eat it, not the other way around. I wish I could mind my own business and just eat my vegetables without people getting in my face about it. By posting this thread I know I'm asking for it, and I'm not surprised by the irrelevant attacks on vegetarianism. I was hoping to have more positive posts but there are a lot of people who are offended by what I've said.

I'm simply inviting others to explore the benefits of reducing meat in your diet.
    Who irreverently attacked you? Did they PM you? Report it.

Attacks on vegetarianism, not me. I'm a big girl, I'm not going to report people for expressing their opinions. I get it, you are a huge proponent for meat, and that is fine. I congratulate you on the weight you've lost and the health improvements you've made. If you eat as much meat as you claim you do, I just hope it comes from a local source and one that does not torture the animals and inject them with hormones and antibiotics. Your meat can be tainted with a lot of extra chemicals that are detrimental to your health. Even vegetarians must be careful that they're produce doesn't contain high amounts of pesticides or are GMOs. There are pros and cons to both types of diets.
    Actually I didn't claim to be a proponent of anything. You can gain weight eating anything, if it has calories. I just stated what I happen to be doing now. I also stated that you can eat whatever you want to eat (see page two). Before I gained weight, I used to work with this lady from India. She was Hindu and didn't eat meat. I think she had a thing for me, because of she used to make food for me all the time. My wife noticed I wasn't taking my lunches. Oops. Anyway, if you think you couldn't gain weight from that then you're in for a rude awakening. Eating healthier and smarter regardless of what you call yourself will make you more health conscious. Picking some trendy name to call yourself doesn't.
    BTW I didn't cheat on my wife, unless you count eating someone else's food, in that case I am a shallow pig.
  • Samanthaskywalker
    It was changing to a vegan diet that put the weight on in the first place!

Basically, because the proteins in a vegan diet are incomplete on their own and also loaded with carbohydrates I needed more foods overall than in a vegetarian or meat eating diet where proteins can be more concentrated and lower in calories.

I have had to add eggs and milk to my diet in order to lose weight and maintain muscle. I may not like it ethically but that is where I have to be to maintain my own health I feel.

Not all vegans are slim!

Would buying these products from local farms make you feel better? I get my eggs at farmer's markets, which come from Mennonite farms in my state. They are delicious. I have sources that can help me get raw milk from local farms, but have not pursued it since I don't ever drink milk. Anything I need milk for to cook I now use coconut milk.

And you are right, veganism does not necessarily mean awesome health or perfect weight, as your search for extra calories can lead you to bad choices. It's all part of the journey we all take to become healthier, whether it includes eating meat or not.
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    I know you think you're not, but you are preaching.

^^^^^this^^^^^
  • Samanthaskywalker
    I know you think you're not, but you are preaching.

^^^^^this^^^^^

I've gathered a ton of information on how to improve your health, and I am trying to share some of that information with others. If you don't like it, move on.
  • theCoke
    theCoke Posts: 27 Member
    I work in a college cafeteria. I'm around food and people eating it all day. My coworkers and I are fortunate enough to eat lunch from the cafeteria while we're on break. In the past seven years of me not eating meat I have never said to the person beside me eating their greasy burger, fatty prime rib, deep fried chicken, or pile of bacon--that it disgusts me. (It really doesn't disgust me because I completely ignore it.) I have never mentioned it all. However, my salad with every vegetable on the salad bar, beans, and tofu has sparked many a debate. Oh, sorry, does my tofu offend you? My latest response to people's questions has been a simple, "you don't want to know."
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    I work in a college cafeteria. I'm around food and people eating it all day. My coworkers and I are fortunate enough to eat lunch from the cafeteria while we're on break. In the past seven years of me not eating meat I have never said to the person beside me eating their greasy burger, fatty prime rib, deep fried chicken, or pile of bacon--that it disgusts me. (It really doesn't disgust me because I completely ignore it.) I have never mentioned it all. However, my salad with every vegetable on the salad bar, beans, and tofu has sparked many a debate. Oh, sorry, does my tofu offend you? My latest response to people's questions has been a simple, "you don't want to know."
    Ok. Well I can see that, because tofu is gross, but I know plenty of people who eat that and aren't anywhere close to vegetarians.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    If you eat as much meat as you claim you do, I just hope it comes from a local source and one that does not torture the animals and inject them with hormones and antibiotics. Your meat can be tainted with a lot of extra chemicals that are detrimental to your health. Even vegetarians must be careful that they're produce doesn't contain high amounts of pesticides or are GMOs.

Oh god.

spvs6v.jpg
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    I'm a vegan (well, not really since i do eat organic manuka honey sometimes but no meat, dairy, or eggs) but I think tofu is nasty. Haha. Plus I am not a huge soy fan because I don't think it's good for you. I got some organic soy milk this week but only because my store was out of the organic almond milk I usually buy (in case anyone stalks my diary and is like "Liar! She eats soy!" Haha) I did lose 32 pounds after going vegan about a year and a half ago but it was slow, only 3 pounds a month. I was already an organic fan and lots of fruits and veggies fan. My weight was up from drinking though, not from meat. I have never been a huge meat fan, even as a little kid.

I have a lot of vegan friends and some of them eat terrible. Sugar galore or fake meat processed crap with fake nasty cheese that tastes like legos. If you are having multiple 400 calorie soy lattes everyday, you're weight is probably not going to come off. JUST being a vegetarian or vegan will not make you lose weight. You still have to watch your calorie intake. I do FEEL much better though, way more energy, better hair and nails (that now grow super fast but I think it's my huge intake of avocados. Ha!) I sleep good now too. I also think it's more fun to cook because I have to be more creative than I used to be to come up with meals with the right amount of protein and iron that I can get my kids to eat and not whine about, LOL. I do tend to eat a lot of the same things though because I like them (jalapenos, cilantro, avocados, beans, tomatillos....I love mexican food.) Go figure my husband dropped 20 pounds just from eating my vegan dinners (I pack his lunch for work too (and the kids for school) but I do vegetarian for them, still with organic dairy products.) He still drinks the same and nothing else has changed. So freaking unfair because I have to count calories or else I turn into a fat *kitten*, even eating no processed food. Haha!

I do hate sometimes when people are like "What are you doing?" and I say that I went vegan and they all of a sudden do it too but sans research and then tell me they feel like crap when they are living on tortillas and pasta and have MAYBE one fruit or vegetable a day, if that. Of course you do. You have to think about your iron and your protein and make sure you are eating sources of certain nutrient rich items.

Pinterest has a lot of great recipe ideas if anyone is looking for anything new to try.