Does anyone know the magic number for carbs?

Options
How many carbs do you think you need? I've tried to eat mostly low glycemic foods, but I don't see the same results. My body really responds, when I reduce my carbs, but I'm not interested in doing a low carb diet like Atkins, South Beach, or The Zone. I need a little more freedom than that. Does anyone know the magic number to start losing, without going too low? Atkins is like 25g, which is crazy to me. Any thoughts?

Replies

• yobby1969
    yobby1969 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Anyone....anyone? Crickets lol
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    any post with the word "carb" in it is going to turn into a thousand different people arguing just so you're aware. Honestly, for me the magic weight loss number is 25-35 g. the magic maintenance number is 50-60g. This is net which doesn't count fiber. Every individual is different.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    for me its staying below 100g of carbs.
  • skinnyjean4me
    skinnyjean4me Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    i asked a dietrician/nutritonist that posts on here and with my body stats 158lbs 5'2" 29% body fat and exercising 6 days a week with swimming zumba and jillian 30DS he told me 30%fat and 35%carbs and 35% protein. Hope this helps!
  • lamos1
    lamos1 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    MFP put me at 193g of carbs. So is that too much?
  • yobby1969
    Options
    Thanks! That does help = D
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    How many carbs do you think you need? I've tried to eat mostly low glycemic foods, but I don't see the same results. My body really responds, when I reduce my carbs, but I'm not interested in doing a low carb diet like Atkins, South Beach, or The Zone. I need a little more freedom than that. Does anyone know the magic number to start losing, without going too low? Atkins is like 25g, which is crazy to me. Any thoughts?

Assuming you have no intolerances or medical conditions that would require you to limit them, then there is no real magic number, just less then you burn
  • Mary8530
    Options
    Multiply your weight by 10 and you can eat up to that amount of calories per day. For example, if you weight 160, 160*10=1600. However, on a diet they suggest to never go over 1800 calories per day.
    A good trick for carbs is to stop eating them at 2 (same thing for fruits). This way the body has enough time to digest properly (no stockage).
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I do 40/30/30 for carbs/ fat/ protein and it is hard for me to stay under but I think it really helps if I hit my protein targets, I am less hungry...
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Forgot to say that gives me 120 grams of carbs
  • TheMommyWifeLife
    TheMommyWifeLife Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I would say keep it as low as you can but make sure you stay under what mfp puts you at!
  • harpercutie
    harpercutie Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    SAME.
    or around 150
  • Maddielen
    Options
    My dietician recommended no more than 120....and it seems to be working.
  • GreyEyes21
    GreyEyes21 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    27g protein 20g carb 3g fat for each meal. then 7g protein 5g carb 1-2g fat for 2 snacks :)
  • yobby1969
    Options
    Good info guys! Thanks so much!
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    69 is the magic number
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Multiply your weight by 10 and you can eat up to that amount of calories per day. For example, if you weight 160, 160*10=1600. However, on a diet they suggest to never go over 1800 calories per day.
    A good trick for carbs is to stop eating them at 2 (same thing for fruits). This way the body has enough time to digest properly (no stockage).

That's a quack equation. I'm 170 lbs. you're telling me that I shouldn't go over 2,000 calories or so? I need close to 4,000 calories to maintain!!!

And I eat carbs before bed around 10 PM, sometimes I wake up at midnight and 2AM in the morning and eat cheesecake. I have no problem shedding body fat when I'm on a cut.
  • Britbratkins3
    Options
    Oh goodness! I would starve if I did the low carb thing... I do 80% carbs and I am actually slimmer than I've been in months.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    42 naturally.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    42 naturally.

Mwhahahaha!

Actually, that is around my daily average too ... hmmm ....

I started on 30g moved to 50g now, still losing OK. I hit 100g for a couple of days and didn't feel great so back down to 50g I go, and that is fine by me. Don't need 'em for energy, just a bit of variety.

I don't seem to be 'starving', if anything I eat more nutrient-dense food than I used to on a grain-based diet ...

There is, of course, no magic number ... It depends on the individual, my current carb-battered 41 year-old "let's go on another low fat diet" body will react differently compared to my 25 year-old "Get the lagers in and let's go for a curry, garlic naan for me, thanks" body.

In short, I can't eat/drink the way that I used to and expect no consequences and that is fine and natural.