Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Does anyone know the magic number for carbs?

2»

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    My "magic number" is whatever is left after I hit my protein and fat macros.
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    There isn't a magic number. Cals in cals out.
  • Stick to eating healthily and well balanced! By eating the recommended nutritional guidelines (UK) on 2000 cals, 230g carbs, 70g fats ( increased protein to 150g) combined with exercise every day I lost over 3 stone in 5 months. Now I am maintaining, I eat back everything extra I burn off on top of these amounts I normally aim for!
  • luzmidd
    luzmidd Posts: 154 Member
    I lose about a pound a week if I stick to less than 50grams of carbs a day. I try and get those carbs from fruits, nuts and veg, not from bread and pasta etc.

Glad to see everyone is playing nicely today when the carb topic came up! No fights so far! :-)
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Multiply your weight by 10 and you can eat up to that amount of calories per day. For example, if you weight 160, 160*10=1600. However, on a diet they suggest to never go over 1800 calories per day.
    A good trick for carbs is to stop eating them at 2 (same thing for fruits). This way the body has enough time to digest properly (no stockage).
    2qwlxjc.gif

You dont know what you are talking about.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member

Yup
  • AquaFitQueen
    AquaFitQueen Posts: 218 Member
    Dont have a magic number but I have found my own person macros works best at 35% carbs 35% protein and 30% fat. And the weight is falling off like this. Low fat diets dont work for me and low carbs diets make me binge...so this magical combo allows me to focus on protein whilst still enjoy carbs!

Everyone is different and it took me a good 3 months on MFP to learn what cal range works for me and what macro combo works for me. Good lluck!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Echoing the theme that there is no One True Number - every body is different and you'll need to experiement a bit to see what works for you.

For me, it's "around 100". But really, that's anything between 80-150.
  • LMPMOM4
    LMPMOM4 Posts: 75
    I try to get 100 g's of protein and then let the other numbers fall where they may.
  • Multiply your weight by 10 and you can eat up to that amount of calories per day. For example, if you weight 160, 160*10=1600. However, on a diet they suggest to never go over 1800 calories per day.
    A good trick for carbs is to stop eating them at 2 (same thing for fruits). This way the body has enough time to digest properly (no stockage).
    2qwlxjc.gif

You dont know what you are talking about.

this has to be the dumbest thing i've ever read...so i should eat ~1000-1100 calories then, eh? Yeah-- I'd be anorexic in a month or two.
  • My "magic number" is whatever is left after I hit my protein and fat macros.

Yup

this
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member

Yup

Same for me