Anybody who has gone off sugar completely ???

Options
A few days ago I read some stuff about how honey helps to burn off the stubborn fats and also helps ur metabolism.
Since then I am using honey instead of sugar just as an experiment.
When I add in honey it doesn't immediately feel as sweet as sugar but it has a nice mellow sweetness.
I would love to wean myself off of sweet stuff . . . cos I eat a lot of them . .and I always have sweet cravings after a meal:sad:

I am noticing tiny differences . . Like I dont spike up and down like before.
Also my cravings have gone down . . . and I'm getting used to my tea being not super sweet.

So have any of you also replaced sugar with some other alternatives . . .and have you noticed any difference??
And is anybody completely off sugar . . I'd like to know!!

Thanks in advance
:flowerforyou:

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I would doubt there is any credible studies that would back honey burning more fat or increasing metabolic functions (just like lypozeme or raspberry ketones, etc..) Also, sugar is a carb, so if your carbs are moderate, and you are in a calorie deficit, then you will lose weight. If you want to maintain muscle (which maintains your metabolism) then you want to concentrate more on protein and resistance training.

But if it helps you reduce eating bad or unhealthy foods, then it's good for you. BTW, I love honey on granny smith apples, soo good!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Honey is basically sugar, though...
  • sapphireswi
    sapphireswi Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Here's the stuff I got over the internet . .seems very interesting . .what do u guys think??

http://www.benefits-of-honey.com/honey-lowers-cholesterol.html "

Honey is an excellent natural home remedy for obesity and lowering of cholesterol levels. It mobilizes the extra deposited fat in the body allowing it to be utilized as energy for normal functions and purifying the blood as a result. Honey is known to be a cholesterol fighter - honey lowers cholesterol in our blood. The antioxidants in honey prevent cholesterol from being moved out of the blood and into the lining of the blood vessels. Daily consumption of this natural sweetener could raise blood levels of protective antioxidant compounds in the body.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_effects_of_honey

Scientists have revealed that honey has powerful anti-bacterial properties on at least sixty species of bacteria, and unlike antibiotics, which are often useless against certain types of bacteria, honey is non-toxic and has strong effects.It is also stated to cure some allergies, particularly localized honey to an area could help minimize seasonal allergies as bees feed on pollen from local plants which eventually finds its way to form honey.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Here's the stuff I got over the internet . .seems very interesting . .what do u guys think??

http://www.benefits-of-honey.com/honey-lowers-cholesterol.html "

Honey is an excellent natural home remedy for obesity and lowering of cholesterol levels. It mobilizes the extra deposited fat in the body allowing it to be utilized as energy for normal functions and purifying the blood as a result. Honey is known to be a cholesterol fighter - honey lowers cholesterol in our blood. The antioxidants in honey prevent cholesterol from being moved out of the blood and into the lining of the blood vessels. Daily consumption of this natural sweetener could raise blood levels of protective antioxidant compounds in the body.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_effects_of_honey

Scientists have revealed that honey has powerful anti-bacterial properties on at least sixty species of bacteria, and unlike antibiotics, which are often useless against certain types of bacteria, honey is non-toxic and has strong effects.It is also stated to cure some allergies, particularly localized honey to an area could help minimize seasonal allergies as bees feed on pollen from local plants which eventually finds its way to form honey.

It may help reduce cholesterol, but not weight. Unfortunately, there are no links to the scientific evidence so I would have a hard time believing it. In reality, losing weight alone will reduce cholesterol. Now if they did a study where people ate at TDEE and substituted honey for sugar and it reduced cholesterol, then I would buy it.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Your primary souce is a honey website .... and cites no credible sources.
  • sapphireswi
    Options
    Your primary souce is a honey website ....

:)) yess I thought someone wud point that out . . but if you type honey+weight loss into google there are tons of sites going all gaga over it.
    It does seem quite tempting to switch honey with sugar:embarassed:
  • zebisis
    zebisis Posts: 157
    Options
    Honey/sugar- it is really the same when it comes to weight loss IMHO.
    If you were at your goal weight, and decided to switch white sugar for honey, I could understand that. But it is all unnecessary carbs.
    I am eating essentially sugar free- under 20 net carbs a day. I use liquid sucralose in my hot drinks.
    I feel better now (with no sugars to dope my brain) than I have in ages. :)
  • sapphireswi
    Options
    Check this out!!

http://www.ehow.com/about_5087559_benefits-honey-weight-loss.html

A New Zealand study compared the weights of three different groups of rats over time. One group was fed no sugar calories at all, the second group was fed a diet from which 8 percent of the total calories came from non-honey sugar sources, and the third group was fed a diet in which 10 percent of the calories came from honey. The honey-fed rats gained as much weight as the rats that were fed no sugar calories whatsoever, while the sugar-fed rats gained significantly more weight than the other two groups.
  • sapphireswi
    Options
    Honey/sugar- it is really the same when it comes to weight loss IMHO.
    If you were at your goal weight, and decided to switch white sugar for honey, I could understand that. But it is all unnecessary carbs.
    I am eating essentially sugar free- under 20 net carbs a day. I use liquid sucralose in my hot drinks.
    I feel better now (with no sugars to dope my brain) than I have in ages. :)

Now that is where I wud like to be . . . sugar free so that I dont have energy spikes and slumps!
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I've read the same stuff you have, and I've also heard the benefits of honey for years and years from my uncle, who, incidentally, used to have bees and produce his own honey.

I use honey because I like honey. I've always preferred honey in hot tea, over cheerios, in my chicken glazes...etc. I've liked it for years and it helped me get fat, now it's helping me get "skinny." Honey is just like any other food, if you eat too much of it, then it loses what ever health benefit it had.

Honey has calories. Calories, in excess, creates fat people. Calories, in deficit, creates skinny people.

I eat carbs, I eat protein, I eat whatever my wife puts on my plate. I also exercise, both cardio and lifting heavy. I'm losing weight, I'm feeling better and I'm looking better.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Honey is made of fructose, glucose, sucrose and complex sugars. Table sugar is a sucrose molecule (one glucose and one fructose molecule). So honey IS sugar.
  • sapphireswi
    Options
    :blushing:
    Yup now I know honey is a type of sugar (Carbohydrate) = calories. (duhh)
    I'm just saying it seems better than granulated sugar
    granulated sugar is a disaccharide (2molecules) so it gets broken down rapidly hence the energy spikes
    sugar is pure carbs
    but honey has minerals, vitamins and antioxidants and its made up of 4 different types of sugars
    The more complex the food we eat the longer it takes to breakdown . .the more time you feel full!
    :drinker:
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Granulated sugar is a disaccharide (sucrose), but honey contains mostly monosaccharides (fructose and glucose, the two molecules that sucrose is made of), which means your body doesn't even have to break them down before they're absorbed. So your energy is going to spike just as fast, if not even more quickly.

It does have vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, so in that sense it is better than sugar. But the energy spikes and satiety are going to be roughly the same since it contains very few oligosaccharides.
  • sapphireswi
    Options
    hmmmm:ohwell:
    Well I've got me a squirty bottle of honey :bigsmile:
    So I'm gonna experiment . . .
    and keep u guys posted . . .
    See right now Im on a sorta plateau so if substituting sugar with honey cud help I'm game . . .
    also any tips on going sugar free
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    See right now Im on a sorta plateau so if substituting sugar with honey cud help I'm game . . .

Ummm....stop eating sugar?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

sucrose is 50/50 fructose/glucose, honey is about 49/43
  • psuLemon
    Options

Ummm....stop eating sugar?

The bigger questions is why stop eating sugar? Fruits have plenty of sugar and it's good. Now if it was, any tips on how to stop eating candy or drinking soda, I can see we can help more.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Honey is made of fructose, glucose, sucrose and complex sugars. Table sugar is a sucrose molecule (one glucose and one fructose molecule). So honey IS sugar.

1620742673_532dd66d_mind_blown_xlarge1.jpeg
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Check this out!!

http://www.ehow.com/about_5087559_benefits-honey-weight-loss.html

A New Zealand study compared the weights of three different groups of rats over time. One group was fed no sugar calories at all, the second group was fed a diet from which 8 percent of the total calories came from non-honey sugar sources, and the third group was fed a diet in which 10 percent of the calories came from honey. The honey-fed rats gained as much weight as the rats that were fed no sugar calories whatsoever, while the sugar-fed rats gained significantly more weight than the other two groups.

Again - no cited sources and the study was done on rats, not humans.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

If you are at a plateau - why not look at how many calories in total you are consuming and not try to pin it on one specific food?