Anybody who has gone off sugar completely ???

Options

Replies

• firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    hmmmm:ohwell:
    Well I've got me a squirty bottle of honey :bigsmile:
    So I'm gonna experiment . . .
    and keep u guys posted . . .
    See right now Im on a sorta plateau so if substituting sugar with honey cud help I'm game . . .
    :drinker:
    also any tips on going sugar free

If you are at a plateau - why not look at how many calories in total you are consuming and not try to pin it on one specific food?

bcos im doin about 1000 cals/day so i cant go lower than that> The idea is to improve the quality of the calories I take in
    so substituting empty calories with more wholesome ones (something like that)
    :bigsmile:

Instead of pinpointing one specific item, why not try eating MORE than 1000 calories per day...I've heard from a number of people here on MFP that when they upped their cals slightly, they were able to break through plateaus (no weight loss for at least 4 weeks, I believe, is considered a plateau? I could be wrong on that) I dunno...I take in about 1850 calories through food plus eat most of my exercise calories...I eat items from all the different food groups (no allergies or apparent sensitivities) and I am still losing weight...much more slowly than I was at first, because I'm closer to my goal, but still able to eat, enjoy, and lose a little weight. Not a bad deal.

Good luck!

Can't believe it took almost a full page for someone to point this out.

OP, is a DOCTOR telling you to eat 1000 calories a day? You're probably plateauing because you're not even eating your BMR.
  • lruff1987
    lruff1987 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I gave up all forms of sugar a little over 2 years ago. While I did it for health reasons (allergies), it has helped me a lot and I've found it to be very beneficial (i.e. I'm not as fatigued, I lost a lot of weight quite easily, I'm not addicted to sweets anymore). Now, I don't eat honey or molasses or agave or anything like that. Those are all forms of sugar. For example, when you make pizza crust or bread, they suggest putting a little sugar in the yeast/flour mixture to help feed the yeast. In the recipes they'll say you can add white sugar OR honey, because both forms of sugar will feed the yeast the same way. That being said, using a little honey in place of sugar is definitely better for you over all, but I'm not sure about its effects in helping with weight loss.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I wish I could tell you that I fought the good fight, and sugar let me be. I wish I could tell you that - but dieting is no fairy-tale world. I never said who did it, but they all knew. Things went on like that for awhile - dieting consists of routine, and then more routine. Every so often, I would show up with excess body fat. Sugar kept at me - sometimes I was able to fight it off, sometimes not. And that's how it went for me - that was my routine. I do believe those first two years were the worst for me, and I also believe that if things had gone on that way, dieting would have got the best of me.
  • sapphireswi
    sapphireswi Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    See right now Im on a sorta plateau so if substituting sugar with honey cud help I'm game . . .

If you are at a plateau - why not look at how many calories in total you are consuming and not try to pin it on one specific food?

bcos im doin about 1000 cals/day so i cant go lower than that> The idea is to improve the quality of the calories I take in

Instead of pinpointing one specific item, why not try eating MORE than 1000 calories per day...I've heard from a number of people here on MFP that when they upped their cals slightly, they were able to break through plateaus (no weight loss for at least 4 weeks, I believe, is considered a plateau? I could be wrong on that) I dunno...I take in about 1850 calories through food plus eat most of my exercise calories...I eat items from all the different food groups (no allergies or apparent sensitivities) and I am still losing weight...much more slowly than I was at first, because I'm closer to my goal, but still able to eat, enjoy, and lose a little weight. Not a bad deal.

Good luck!

Thnks a lot . .u knw I read an article by Dr. Oz and he said the exact same thing - sorta keeps ur body confused
    so thats a gr8 tip and I'll try it:drinker:
  • tony2009
    tony2009 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    And so the random slot of internet 'proven' facts begin.

The fake sugar is thought to be worse for you than sugar, in the long run. (Carcinogen and all that jazz)
    Real sugar has a good bit of calories with it, and when you consume too much of it, yes it's going to make you fat.
    Honey is sugar, say what?! I always thought it was sweet because of how hard the bees worked to make it....

Truth is I used the 'fake' sweeteners whenever I was stressing over every singly calorie that my body would touch, but since then have tried to clean up my diet and make it more of a lifestyle rather than a, 'let's scan the barcode or we aren't gonna eat it!'

I now eat lots of fruits, nuts, meats, and in the morning I put sugar in my coffee, because I loathe coffee completely black. Truth is that I feel much better consuming the real sugar.

Most of the time it's not those choices that are hindering your weight loss. It's a bunch of the little ones, but by all means if the 50 calories you save from switching from sugar to honey gets you off of your 'plateau' then more power to ya.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Why are you only on 1.000 calories a day?

Edited to try to fix quotes
  • sapphireswi
    Options
    I gave up all forms of sugar a little over 2 years ago. While I did it for health reasons (allergies), it has helped me a lot and I've found it to be very beneficial (i.e. I'm not as fatigued, I lost a lot of weight quite easily, I'm not addicted to sweets anymore). Now, I don't eat honey or molasses or agave or anything like that. Those are all forms of sugar. For example, when you make pizza crust or bread, they suggest putting a little sugar in the yeast/flour mixture to help feed the yeast. In the recipes they'll say you can add white sugar OR honey, because both forms of sugar will feed the yeast the same way. That being said, using a little honey in place of sugar is definitely better for you over all, but I'm not sure about its effects in helping with weight loss.

cool :flowerforyou: WTG
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Thnks a lot . .u knw I read an article by Dr. Oz and he said the exact same thing - sorta keeps ur body confused

lol, you're hopeless.
  • sapphireswi
    Options
    And so the random slot of internet 'proven' facts begin.

The fake sugar is thought to be worse for you than sugar, in the long run. (Carcinogen and all that jazz)
    Real sugar has a good bit of calories with it, and when you consume too much of it, yes it's going to make you fat.
    Honey is sugar, say what?! I always thought it was sweet because of how hard the bees worked to make it....

Truth is I used the 'fake' sweeteners whenever I was stressing over every singly calorie that my body would touch, but since then have tried to clean up my diet and make it more of a lifestyle rather than a, 'let's scan the barcode or we aren't gonna eat it!'

I now eat lots of fruits, nuts, meats, and in the morning I put sugar in my coffee, because I loathe coffee completely black. Truth is that I feel much better consuming the real sugar.

Most of the time it's not those choices that are hindering your weight loss. It's a bunch of the little ones, but by all means if the 50 calories you save from switching from sugar to honey gets you off of your 'plateau' then more power to ya.

aww tnx a lot . . .:heart:
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    1000 calories a day is terrible!.

I lost about 50lbs using MFP's recommendations during my first 7 months here... Then I plateaued for about 7 more months and 20 lbs crept back on... I calculated what I SHOULD be eating and found out that my body needs 2000 calories according to my BMR and TDEE calculator. Guess what? I've started losing inches!

Your body is like a furnace. IF you fuel it well it will burn hard. If you barely fuel it, it will barely burn.
  • sapphireswi
    Options

I'm pretty short at 5'1" so 1000 cals give me a deficit of 550 cals per day . .so I do between 1000-1200 calories per day
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    the only sugar that goes in my body is from fruits and veggies. I don't even put sugar or butter in my oatmeal anymore, I use fresh fruit instead.
  • sapphireswi
    Options
    1000 calories a day is terrible!.

I lost about 50lbs using MFP's recommendations during my first 7 months here... Then I plateaued for about 7 more months and 20 lbs crept back on... I calculated what I SHOULD be eating and found out that my body needs 2000 calories according to my BMR and TDEE calculator. Guess what? I've started losing inches!

Your body is like a furnace. IF you fuel it well it will burn hard. If you barely fuel it, it will barely burn.

hey gr8 thought there :flowerforyou:
  • sapphireswi
    Options
    the only sugar that goes in my body is from fruits and veggies. I don't even put sugar or butter in my oatmeal anymore, I use fresh fruit instead.

:glasses: cool
  • KelseyAnne11
    Options
    Here's the stuff I got over the internet . .seems very interesting . .what do u guys think??

http://www.benefits-of-honey.com/honey-lowers-cholesterol.html "

Honey is an excellent natural home remedy for obesity and lowering of cholesterol levels. It mobilizes the extra deposited fat in the body allowing it to be utilized as energy for normal functions and purifying the blood as a result. Honey is known to be a cholesterol fighter - honey lowers cholesterol in our blood. The antioxidants in honey prevent cholesterol from being moved out of the blood and into the lining of the blood vessels. Daily consumption of this natural sweetener could raise blood levels of protective antioxidant compounds in the body.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_effects_of_honey

Scientists have revealed that honey has powerful anti-bacterial properties on at least sixty species of bacteria, and unlike antibiotics, which are often useless against certain types of bacteria, honey is non-toxic and has strong effects.It is also stated to cure some allergies, particularly localized honey to an area could help minimize seasonal allergies as bees feed on pollen from local plants which eventually finds its way to form honey.

Just to put it out there, the honey that is used for anti-bacterial purpose is not the same honey you eat.. its pharmaceutical honey :) and although it helps some people with infected wounds etc, a lot of people don't get any benefit from it so it's still a debatable thing depending on who you're talking to :)

And I believe honey is better for you than sugar but not because it makes you lose weight, just because its less processed than white sugar.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

Good luck!

You don't need to confuse your body, just eat more.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie is a calorie. And honey IS a sugar. That said, honey also has vitamins, etc., that processed sugar or "high fructose corn syrup" doesn't have. So if you like it, use it for the added nutrients, but keep on counting the calories. :flowerforyou:

This is wrong a calorie is not a calorie, but I know you typed it with the best intentions x

A calorie is a calorie as far as the unit of food energy it supplies the body with. They are further defined into corresponding macronutrients and clearly 1 calorie of protein has a different effect and utilization as 1 calorie of fat or carbohydrate but they are still 1 calorie.

Just like my foot is a foot and not a lampshade.

This is very loosely what I was trying to say lol!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I'm pretty short at 5'1" so 1000 cals give me a deficit of 550 cals per day . .so I do between 1000-1200 calories per day

Do you exercise? I know a lot of people below 5 foot that lose weight on 1,600 cals or more, even if not that active. That seems very low.
  • ravenwcatz
    ravenwcatz Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I wish I could tell you that I fought the good fight, and sugar let me be. I wish I could tell you that - but dieting is no fairy-tale world. I never said who did it, but they all knew. Things went on like that for awhile - dieting consists of routine, and then more routine. Every so often, I would show up with excess body fat. Sugar kept at me - sometimes I was able to fight it off, sometimes not. And that's how it went for me - that was my routine. I do believe those first two years were the worst for me, and I also believe that if things had gone on that way, dieting would have got the best of me.

You win the internet.

Also, I read this in Morgan Freeman's voice.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I don't add sugar to anything. Never have. Only sugar I get is in breads, milk, and fruit.