This is not workin....

Options
13»

Replies

• Witchmoo
    Witchmoo Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    The very first thing I noticed when I looked at your diary was a potato that was entered as a "medium" potato - which to me means, it was completely unmeasured and unweighed. It does appear like this with the rest of your diary too - "Tomato - 4 slices" - well, my slices might be thicker than the person who entered it, "Peas 2/3 cup" - how big is your cup? Apple "medium", Peach "large" and then it goes on - "Generic Tortias" + 1/4 cup of cheese. In fact many of your measurements are in cups???

Especially when it comes to anything with carbs or protein, I make sure that I am 100% sure I know what the weight is, because that is the only way to know exactly how many calories you are consuming. A cup of pasta means different things to different people and you will be very surprised how wildly different the amount of calories in a cup of pasta between people could be.

The other really dangerous thing I saw was salad dressing entered as tablespoons - seriously, you should rather measure it, because eyeballing it, you could easily be completely underestimating it. (Also, are you using and logging the same brands?)

I measure using cups and measuring spoons. I also weigh things. Salad dressing ( I do typically use the brand I track) for instance, I track two table spoons but the gram measurement is easier for me to calculate usind the food scale. One two table spoon serving is 30 g. I measure accurately and track what is available in the food tracker here. I am less accurate on veggies. Same thing with the potato... I know how many calories are in the potato I am going to eat for dinner by weighing it but the tracker doesn't always have the right calculations so I have to use what is available.

I've never not managed to get the tracker to do the exact weight of something I need. Just because it defaults, say, to 100g you can use the drop down and select (normally) by gram and then you enter to the gram your potato or whatever......don't just use the first 'potato' or whatever on the list you find and always look what has been entered as members do not always enter things up correctly.....
  • MSmooth747
    MSmooth747 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    1. Need to eat atleast 1000 cals a day
    2. Don't Eat back you calories.
    3. Don't have a cheat day or rest day
    4. If you don't have a Heart Rate Monitor you probably are not burning many calories.

I doesn't happen over night
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    4. If you don't have a Heart Rate Monitor you probably are not burning many calories.

WHAT!?!?

If no heart rate monitor, then not burning many calories? I'm not following your logic.

No rest day? Who are you?

Please ignore EVERYTHING THIS GUY SAYS---clearly he knows nothing about human metabolism, health, nutrition, etc.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I bet you're not calculating your servings correctly. And how hard are you pushing yourself on the elliptical? Are you really getting a workout or are you just moving? Last month of hitting it hard 3-4 days a week I lost an inch on each thigh.
    I'm sure some of that loss came from muscle mass due to your intense cardio, not fat mass. Sorry.
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,585 Member
    Options
    Do track everything you eat and drink.

I did Weight Watchers for forever and fruit and vegtables are "free" as far as tracking goes on their program. When I came here I had to force myself to track them. But they do have calories-as someone posted above.

I also had to bump up my exercise to see some consistant results. I'm also close to my goal so I expect I'll have to bump it up again. But that's ok-I have begun to love working out and feel weird when I don't.

Good luck and don't give up.
  • Miss_Alishia
    Options

WHAT!?!?

If no heart rate monitor, then not burning many calories? I'm not following your logic.

Please ignore EVERYTHING THIS GUY SAYS---clearly he knows nothing about human metabolism, health, nutrition, etc.

I can't comply with anything on that list.... I am a woman, not a machine.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Yanicka1/view/on-a-plateau-try-this-419560

I wrote this about weighing food instead of using measuring tools. It might help you.

Good luck.
  • carriesawey
    Options
    l have learned that muscle weights more than fat and you maybe building them.That will tip the weight to show you gained.If you measure your self, I'm sure you find you have lost inches.That means muscle uses more energy and in the big picture you drop Lbs.I also found that water helps the body get its waste out so drink at least eight 8 oz. glasses. More if you work out.Don't forget the fiber in your diet.It is a good idea to eat some of calorie's back because you don't want lose to fast or go into starvation mode.The slower you lose it the more likely you are to keep it off and not have the extra skin.Expect your weight to go up and down its just how the body works.I'm still learning.I hope that helps.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Yes! Because it isn't the exercise that burns the calories, it's the simple act of wearing a heart rate monitor. That's why I have mine on 24/7!
  • erind110
    Options
    I did not read everyone else's reply, so I apologize if someone already said this or if it is repetitive. My personal trainer has told me that its not ONLY the calories that we take in, but the portions of different food categories. Go under your goals and change it to this 40% carbs, 30% fats and 30% proteins. As women, if we constantly take in carbohydrates... it causes a fat *kitten*! Trust me, I know. I eat carbs like it is my job. My ideal daily menu: Cereal, Pasta, Pizza. When in reality it should be more like: Egg Whites + Banana, Ham sandwich on wheat bread, and Grilled/Baked/Pan seared Chicken with a SIDE of whole wheat pasta.

I havent been doing this for long at all so I don't know everything. But as SOON as I told my trainer I Was doing this, he said WHOA WHOA WHOA. Calories aren't everything, but it's a really good start to watching what you eat.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    So what did you eat on the 2 days you didn't log anything? You have to be 100% compliant in logging everything, measuring everything, EVERY day. Do this for a month straight, then if you don't lose anything, ask for suggestions.
  • hellohappylisa
    hellohappylisa Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I bet you're not calculating your servings correctly. And how hard are you pushing yourself on the elliptical? Are you really getting a workout or are you just moving? Last month of hitting it hard 3-4 days a week I lost an inch on each thigh.
    I'm sure some of that loss came from muscle mass due to your intense cardio, not fat mass. Sorry.
    Yes, that's why my thighs stopped jiggling and my barely visible cellulite is now nearly invisible. Because I LOST muscle. Right.

I don't run, I go on hard, uphill hikes. Have I gained new muscle? Doubtful. Did the ones I already have get stronger? You bet your *kitten*! I think I would know if my own legs were more muscular.
  • Josette89
    Josette89 Posts: 244
    Options
    It took me a few tries. I adjusted my calorie intake and exercises. I ate less, my wieght loss stalled. I worked out more and made sure to eat back most of my burned calories. I eat 200 calories under my BMR and I use an HRM every time I do any type of exercise: Shopping, working, cleaning, and walking my dogs. I weigh myself every morning just to keep track of what affects my weight. PLUS, the biggest reason of all wh this is working so great for me is that I've gone PALEO. :) Whether this works or not depends on how much you educate yourself on health and weight loss, as well as a good diet and exercise regimen.
  • lesita75
    lesita75 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2 - med build - 166 lbs

I have a desk job but walk 3 times a day for 15 minutes at work and have been working out with the elliptical for 30 minutes at home. I eat 1200 cals a day.

Side note... I did stop using the Depo shot for birth control about a month ago...

I am 4'11 and I started off at 1200 calories a day and I didn't eat back the exercise calories. Needless to say, I was a hungry miserable b*tch!! Sure I lost a little weight then I plateaued for two months. During that time I lost and gained the same 3-4 pounds over and over. I slowly increased my calorie uptake up to 1300 cal a day. I started lifting heavy two weeks ago, I still do some cardio not as much though, and I eat back some of my exercise calories. I easily eat around 1300-1500 calories per day. I make most meals at home so I drastically cut down on the processed crap. My diet isn't totally clean, but I'm okay with that. I personally couldn't survive if it were 100% clean. I finally got past the plateau and lost two pounds in the last two weeks. I started MFP in May at 159 pounds. This morning I weighed in at 143.6 pounds. It's moving slow, but I'm okay with that. I didn't gain it over night. Track EVERYTHING that you consume and be patient with yourself. Don't beat yourself up. This is a life long journey. Best of luck to you!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    So what did you eat on the 2 days you didn't log anything? You have to be 100% compliant in logging everything, measuring everything, EVERY day. Do this for a month straight, then if you don't lose anything, ask for suggestions.

This isn't true if you know how to make smart decision. I don't wear a HRM, i don't log every day and I managed to cut fat and preserve my lean body mass every day. Also, i tend to guestimate a lot. But what I do is make sure I eat a lot of protein (meats and fish), veggies and fruits and cut most all grains as they are processed. But not everyone has the ability, so it's still a good suggestion.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It took me a few tries. I adjusted my calorie intake and exercises. I ate less, my wieght loss stalled. I worked out more and made sure to eat back most of my burned calories. I eat 200 calories under my BMR and I use an HRM every time I do any type of exercise: Shopping, working, cleaning, and walking my dogs. I weigh myself every morning just to keep track of what affects my weight. PLUS, the biggest reason of all wh this is working so great for me is that I've gone PALEO. :) Whether this works or not depends on how much you educate yourself on health and weight loss, as well as a good diet and exercise regimen.

Your HRM will not be accurate for any of those exercises, unless it's actually a body media.
  • tklegin
    Options
    Just stay with it and keep of the scale for a few weeks, maybe even a month or take a few days off from excercise to let your body recover then weigh back in. The scale is often not a good representation or benchmark of the progress you are making. A lot of people want to improve their health in genearl and developing good habits is key.
    I know whenever I am tempted to eat something bad FP is watching my every move and it keeps me in check. Hopefully this helps. Stay strong and believe in your cause. Without struggle their is no progress (and trust me this is a daily struggle)...
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

WHAT!?!?

I agree, that list is something else!

This whole thread is crazy, everyone is saying something completely different to the OP.. how confusing that must be!

The list above surely is a JOKE, right? Please tell us all it's a joke?! Or at least # 2-4?:huh: :noway:
  • mulderpf
    mulderpf Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    But cups and tablespoons are standard measures! (250ml and 15ml respectively). I enter stuff in my diary using cups and tbs - doesn't mean I've not measured - it means I've got out my cup measures and checked how much of a cup or how many ml!
    QFT

Weight may be more accurate to the exact calorie, but using a cup instead of weighing isn't going to be so off that it should affect weight loss.

2/3 of a cup is a pretty exact measurement. "How big is your cup?"???? Probably as big as the usual.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

Weight may be more accurate to the exact calorie, but using a cup instead of weighing isn't going to be so off that it should affect weight loss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
    Whoever posted the above about measuring cups vs. food scales weight being the same needs to watch the video shared from Youtube because it's NOT the same!

Weight measurements DO make a huge difference!

Glad you shared the video, I hope some take time to watch it, it only takes a couple minutes and it's enlightening for those that feel the cup and the scale are identical.