Almond milk for a toddler?

Options
My 4 year old tried some and he really likes it. Now he's asking for it instead of the whole milk I keep in the house for him. Is it bad for him not to drink the whole milk? I wouldn't think so, but every time I go to the peditrition they always ask if hes been getting enough milk.

Replies

• fit30s
    fit30s Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My understanding is, at 4 years old, as long as they're getting the recommended servings of milk, be it whole, 2%, 1%, skim, or equivalent (soy/almond), that's fine. Younger, and I would say stick to the whole, and avoid the nuts.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    That's what I figured. It always seemed weird to me that they don't ask you how much dairy your child is getting, but how much milk. Obviously when they are really young it wouldn't be a good idea, because of the potential nut allergy, but I would think it would be ok now.
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    With milk you're looking for protein and vitamins. If they get those else where, then I think milk doesn't matter that much.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I know for my daughter, our doctor was fine with soy but said no to almond. Something to do with the amount of fat and brain development. To be safe, please ask your doctor.
  • jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt be too worried to be honest.
  • Monnietron
    Monnietron Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I give it to my daughter as a "treat" instead of chocolate milk.
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I always heard that whole milk for was for babies/toddlers and as soon as a child gets to be like, 2 years old, to use lower fat milk, that the amount of fat in whole milk wasn't really good for them.
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    well i'm not so sure... On the back they say NOT to give it to toddlers and kids..so I don't know.
    I just checked
  • PetulantOne
    Options
    He goes for a physical on Monday, so I will ask then for sure. He also drinks regular milk at daycare, so I don't think it will be to big a problem. I'm glad he likes it, but I also don't want to hinder his development. I'll post another topic with what the dr says Monday.
  • PetulantOne
    Options
    well i'm not so sure... On the back they say NOT to give it to toddlers and kids..so I don't know.
    I just checked

I use Silk. It only says not to use in infant fomula.
  • BrentJulius
    BrentJulius Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is low in protein, fat and everything else so I wouldn't say it could replace the benefits of cows milk but still good for you as it has vitamins and minerals. I wouldn't give my kids soy milk though due to the isoflavones and phytoestrogens...
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I always heard that whole milk for was for babies/toddlers and as soon as a child gets to be like, 2 years old, to use lower fat milk, that the amount of fat in whole milk wasn't really good for them.

true
  • PetulantOne
    Options

true

Yeah I was told this too. That's why I didn't think it would be a huge deal. Just wanted to see if there was something I wasn't thinking of. Thanks for all the input everyone. :smile:
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    What I've read is with any nut milks they're pretty concentrated in phytates which are supposed to reduce the absorption of minerals. Your kids don't have to drink any specific kind of milk aside from breastmilk if you choose to give that still.

In short, almond milk is probably fine as an occasional treat.
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    With milk you're looking for protein and vitamins. If they get those else where, then I think milk doesn't matter that much.

Agree
  • GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Yogurt and cheese count as dairy servings too. So if you are worried about the fat ( Fat and cholesterol is good for little kids, its what brains are made out of) and the protein, offer some yogurt and cheese, instead of relying on milk. My 4 YO loves silk coconut milk, but I make sure she gets full fat yogurt, and a little bit of cheese.
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Calcium is a concern as well. Make sure he's getting enough.

Definitely as your pediatrician.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    My 4 year old tried some and he really likes it. Now he's asking for it instead of the whole milk I keep in the house for him. Is it bad for him not to drink the whole milk? I wouldn't think so, but every time I go to the peditrition they always ask if hes been getting enough milk.

your doctor is concerned about the protein in milk because for a growing 4 year old they need the protein and milk is pretty much their main source its like natures protein shake... almond milk is low in protein and fats so not as good for someone growing but has its benefits... why not give him both?
  • jwhitt0097
    Options
    I have a 2 year old who is extremely allergic to all dairy. She was on soy milk until recently when we switched her to almond milk. Her pediatrician recommended soy until she was 2 due to the fact that is is a little higher in fat/calories but said that she should be fine on almond now. We have always just ensured that she is getting healthy fats/protein other places in her diet to make up for the lack of fat from not drinking whole milk/eating dairy.
  • PetulantOne
    Options
    Yogurt and cheese count as dairy servings too. So if you are worried about the fat ( Fat and cholesterol is good for little kids, its what brains are made out of) and the protein, offer some yogurt and cheese, instead of relying on milk. My 4 YO loves silk coconut milk, but I make sure she gets full fat yogurt, and a little bit of cheese.

He loves yogurt, he eats a ton of it. I freeze the gogurts, he prefers that to ice cream. I'm pretty lucky. he's a very well rounded eater.