Almond milk for a toddler?

Options

Replies

• WaxMama
    WaxMama Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Calcium is a concern as well. Make sure he's getting enough.

Definitely as your pediatrician.

Almond milk has the same amount or more of calcium than cow's milk. It also has more iron, less sugar/fat/calories. It does not contain as much protein, but studies have shown that calcium is not absorbed into the body when taken with a protein source anyway, and we all know there are plenty of other good sources of protein.

That being said, my 16 month old loves almond milk. When he turned a year old, cow's milk really stopped him up and almond milk has fiber (and no dairy) so it works better with his digestive system.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Edited: I just realized what you are asking. The nutrients in almond milk are not comparable to what is in dairy. If you are doing a replacement of one for one, it would not work. As far as using it as a food it contains Goitrogens which can interfere with iodine uptake. I would limit the amount I gave.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    My 4 year old tried some and he really likes it. Now he's asking for it instead of the whole milk I keep in the house for him. Is it bad for him not to drink the whole milk? I wouldn't think so, but every time I go to the peditrition they always ask if hes been getting enough milk.

your doctor is concerned about the protein in milk because for a growing 4 year old they need the protein and milk is pretty much their main source its like natures protein shake... almond milk is low in protein and carbohydrates so not as good for someone growing but has its benefits... why not give him both?

He drinks regular milk in daycare, and lots of other dairy products regularly. I guess I was just concerned the almond milk was bad for him in general. Like when he was an infant and I found out you can not give children honey until at least after there first B-day. It was something I never would have thought about if someone hadn't told me.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I have a 2 year old who is extremely allergic to all dairy. She was on soy milk until recently when we switched her to almond milk. Her pediatrician recommended soy until she was 2 due to the fact that is is a little higher in fat/calories but said that she should be fine on almond now. We have always just ensured that she is getting healthy fats/protein other places in her diet to make up for the lack of fat from not drinking whole milk/eating dairy.

This makes me feel much better. Thank you :)
  • WaxMama
    Options
    My 4 year old tried some and he really likes it. Now he's asking for it instead of the whole milk I keep in the house for him. Is it bad for him not to drink the whole milk? I wouldn't think so, but every time I go to the peditrition they always ask if hes been getting enough milk.

your doctor is concerned about the protein in milk because for a growing 4 year old they need the protein and milk is pretty much their main source its like natures protein shake... almond milk is low in protein and fats so not as good for someone growing but has its benefits... why not give him both?

There are plenty of other great sources of protein. I mean, think about it... we're the only animals that drink another animal's milk... and we're the only animals that drink milk past childhood. Nature's intentions? I'm not so sure!
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

your doctor is concerned about the protein in milk because for a growing 4 year old they need the protein and milk is pretty much their main source its like natures protein shake... almond milk is low in protein and fats so not as good for someone growing but has its benefits... why not give him both?

There are plenty of other great sources of protein. I mean, think about it... we're the only animals that drink another animal's milk... and we're the only animals that drink milk past childhood. Nature's intentions? I'm not so sure!
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/21/dog-nurses-kittens_n_1818215.html
  • zebisis
    zebisis Posts: 157
    Options
    I always heard that whole milk for was for babies/toddlers and as soon as a child gets to be like, 2 years old, to use lower fat milk, that the amount of fat in whole milk wasn't really good for them.

This. ^^^
  • WaxMama
    Options

You're absolutely right, I should have added with few exceptions. However, the purpose of a mother's milk is to make a baby fat in the first few months or so of life...
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Calcium is a concern as well. Make sure he's getting enough.

Definitely as your pediatrician.

THIS.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

You're absolutely right, I should have added with few exceptions. However, the purpose of a mother's milk is to make a baby fat in the first few months or so of life...

More so to pass on some natural immunity and to make up for the fact that babies can't chew. Its also recommended that you breastfeed until the child naturally weens their self but no one follows this. If the only goal was to make them fat it would be easy to do this with many other foods.
  • elijhasmomma
    elijhasmomma Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Whole milk a.k.a. Vitamin D milk is loaded with the good healthy fats and vitamins needed for brain development in a young child. It is important to give them this kind unless they have an allergy. You can still give them almond milk but don't completely substitute it :) My son is 19 months old and he gets 1.5 8oz cups of milk throughout the day and I will give him the Pure Almond Dark Chocolate milk for special times maybe once a day every other day or so.
  • amsohs85
    amsohs85 Posts: 166
    Options
    Children can be picky eaters...so my doctor believes that a childs overall nutrient consumption is far more important then individual components. If your son is getting enough calcium, protein and other things from what he eats then almond milk isnt a problem. Besides as a parent i've learned that offering a wide variety of food options usually means your children will eat better as teens and adults.
  • WaxMama
    Options

More so to pass on some natural immunity and to make up for the fact that babies can't chew. Its also recommended that you breastfeed until the child naturally weens their self but no one follows this. If the only goal was to make them fat it would be easy to do this with many other foods.

I did :smile: ... And it is to pass on immunities and nutrients, but it is also to support the rapid growth in the first year. A cow's milk is to support the massive growth in a baby calf- not the second year of life for a human baby. I'm not really trying to argue, I just think almond milk is perfectly fine and cow's milk isn't necessary for a toddler... all of the nutrients can be found elsewhere.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    It's probably just the calcium and fat from the whole milk that the doctors are wondering if they're getting. As long as they're not lacking in that I doubt it's a problem.
  • VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    honestly, if newborns who are lactose intolerant can drink soy milk...an alternative for milk or breast milk...I am almost positive that a Four year old should be getting adequate nutrition from almond milk milk alternative.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options

well kid is in childhood, therfore drinks milk...

i personally dont drink much milk at all, but that is because i can eat 40oz of animal flesh a day.
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    my 4 yr old drinks almond milk and it incredibly healthy.

**there is protein in veggies too. I am so sick of everybody thinking that protein and calcium only come from animal products. We are omnivores. That means we do not have to eat meat and dairy. We can live off of veggies too. If you are that worried, supplement with vitamins.

My 4 yr old eats mostly vegetarian. I will not force him to eat meat or any animal products. If he wants to eat/drink nuts and veggies, I will never stand in the way.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    honestly, if newborns who are lactose intolerant can drink soy milk...an alternative for milk or breast milk...I am almost positive that a Four year old should be getting adequate nutrition from almond milk milk alternative.

Soy milk is not a replacement for breast milk. Soy FORMULA, which is manufactured with specific nutrients, is considered a replacement for breast milk.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Given that you can safely feed toddlers and young children a vegan diet, I don't think swapping out almond milk for cows milk would be a problem. Strictly speaking, the only time he *needed* milk was before you weaned him. If you're concerned about him consuming enough fat, I'm sure you can make up for fatty acids elsewhere in his diet.

Edited to add: I would talk to his doctor about it, but I would also ask specifically why they recommend milk.
  • elijhasmomma
    elijhasmomma Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Then again...to me 4 doesn't really speak toddler. I guess in my mind frame I see toddler as anything between 1-2 maybe 2.5 yrs old. But here is an interesting article I just found googling the subject :)

http://www.whattoexpect.com/toddler-nutrition/milk-for-toddlers.aspx