Do I or don't I eat back exercise calories?

Options

Replies

• corinnedinning
    corinnedinning Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Still a bit confused.

So does that mean I don't have to make up my net goal?

I would say yes but mfp can over estimate the exercise calories. This is why i suggest eating 50% of them. If you get a hrm, then eat at least 80% of them.

I've been eating some of the calories I've gained from exercise but then I also try to think of it as a weekly total rather than a daily total. If I've gone over on Monday say, I'll exercise and "save" the calories to make up for it. In the beginning I was losing 2.5 lb a week which is a bit too much but its leveled out now I'm eating a bit more and exercising a bit less!

As long as you are eating 1200 calories approximately you should be fine as this is about the level of nutrition you need to keep functioning - but make sure you are eating a varied diet to make sure you get all the nutrients your body needs xxx
  • chardi7
    chardi7 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP for a couple of weeks now and have never eaten them back. Must admit, though, I am a bit worried about it. I am losing just under 2 lbs a week. Is there anyone else who has never - or seldom - eaten them back? Are you still alive? :smile:
    plenty of people dont but you will increase muscle loss doing it this way and slow down your metabolism as your body will catabolize your lbm.

I dont think this is necessarily true. If you incorporate some resistance training into your fitness routine your muscles wont just poof dissapear or start to shrink. Just look at all the different type of intermittent fasters out there who routinely eat below their maintenance levels and still have great success.

If you want to save muscle incorporate resistance training...either with weights or some sort of body weight exercise. Start out slow and shoot for more weight, reps, or whatever each week.
  • vanneto
    Options
    I wouldn't. You'll lose weight faster if you don't. In my opinion, it's like rewarding exercise with more food.

If you're goal is to eat 1500 calories a day out of 2000 you have a 500 calories deficit. If you exercise and burn 1000 calories and eat them back, you have a 500 calorie deficit. Nothing has changed. You're still rewarded with weight loss and none of the risks associated with it.
  • ClairBears84
    ClairBears84 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Hey hun,

Ok lets try this,

Your body needs around 2000 cal to function every day or maintain weight.

MFP has set my cal intake to 1500 which is 500 deficit ( to loose weight)

If I gym and burn 600 calories, I am allowed to eat back at 600 , (they cancel eachother out) and my 1500 then I am still at a 500 deficit,
    So what I do is I eat most of those calories back if I only eat back 400 I run at a 700 deficit (500 + 200)

I just re read this, I hope it makes sense to you:laugh:

My sugegstion is eat back half of what you burn, to make sure you fuel your body for your next workout. if you are still hungry then eat more
    When you do extra things like gym etc its not calculated into your 1500 that MFP suggests a day
  • avanana
    avanana Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that when I eat the exerice calories I'm up the next day :-( I didn't eat them yesterday because I didn't get to exercise and this morning I losted 1.5 :-)
  • ClairBears84
    Options
    I wouldn't. You'll lose weight faster if you don't. In my opinion, it's like rewarding exercise with more food.

If you're goal is to eat 1500 calories a day out of 2000 you have a 500 calories deficit. If you exercise and burn 1000 calories and eat them back, you have a 500 calorie deficit. Nothing has changed. You're still rewarded with weight loss and none of the risks associated with it.

THIS! you made it sounds so much more simple than me! May i never have to be a teacher!
  • Hoop4la
    Hoop4la Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I dont as I struggle to eat my calorie allowance anyway .. but I have to say after a week or so my loss slows down .. it discourages me .. I go off the diet , .. then I restart at a later date and start the process again
    from this and the above replies I would say that we should eat at least half of our excercise calories . Not sure how I am going to do that personally
  • vanneto
    Options
    I've noticed that when I eat the exerice calories I'm up the next day :-( I didn't eat them yesterday because I didn't get to exercise and this morning I losted 1.5 :-)

Thats because of normal weight fluctuations. Be it that you took a good dump this morning or didn't drink fluids yet... But no normal person will lose that much in a day unless they are very very sick.
  • LisaWilson2012
    LisaWilson2012 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    MFP has already created the deficit for you so earning calories by exercising can be eaten back but I wouldn't advise eating them if you're not hungry or at least peckish - what would be the point as you'd be eating for the sake of it. On the days I exercise I usually have something a little more calorific than normal or maybe have a cheese sandwich instead of wafter then ham! LOL
  • Medilia
    Medilia Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    The fat loss comes from a calorie deficit.

So you, in the course of the day, use say 2000 calories. If you then eat 1500 per day you will be under by 500 cals per day.

So then if you work out you might use 3000 cals that day. You would then be 1500 cals under.

That is just the same as if, on a 2000 cal day, you ate 500 cals.

There is a reason why you can't just stop eating and lose weight, there's a whole body mechanics that would mess up so basically, exercise doesn't speed up your weight loss, it just keeps you healthy while you do it and, if you are lifting weights, will help preserve your lean body mass, because you are aiming for fat loss, not weight loss after all. Weight loss is indiscriminate. Fat is specifically what you are aiming to lose. Exercise can also be used as a tool for those who struggle to only eat their calorie goal and want to eat more. Do some exercise and you can eat some more.

To repeat though, it is not a tool to lose weight faster in most circumstances.

Okay I get it now XD

But then after I "Earn" these new calories MFP tells me that I haven't consumed enough if I don't eat them back.
  • vanneto
    Options
    You clearly dont get it yet...
  • Medilia
    Options
    -sobs- I am starting to feel stupid now it is just going over my head.
  • CharlyBravo
    Options
    I dont add my exercise on to MFP as i think you shouldnt get extra calories to be able to eat more for doing something to help you loose weight, so my advise is to carry on withe exercise but dont add it to MFP
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Just flip a coin. It'll be easier that way, trust me...
  • ClairBears84
    Options
    I dont as I struggle to eat my calorie allowance anyway .. but I have to say after a week or so my loss slows down .. it discourages me .. I go off the diet , .. then I restart at a later date and start the process again
    from this and the above replies I would say that we should eat at least half of our excercise calories . Not sure how I am going to do that personally

ITS EASY! add high calorie healthy foods, like nuts, avacado, cheese.
  • Mguilmot
    Mguilmot Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I never do. Never hurt me :-)
  • jessical30
    jessical30 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I always eat my calories from Exercise back. I hear that if you don't then your body goes into starvation mode and stores fat. I have been losing about a pound a week eating my exercise calories back. If I want to cheat on food, I exercise to make up the calories. It works for me.

I was told the same thing, when I first started this journey I wasn't eating enough making me light headed and tired by 8 o'clock at night. My husband told me to start eating more snacks during the day. Since then I've been loosing what I been wanting.
  • Medilia
    Options
    Okay I think I have it now!

Eat back 50% and don't worry about anything else XD
  • ClairBears84
    Options
    Okay I think I have it now!

Eat back 50% and don't worry about anything else XD

This way you will find what works for you and your body. you can always adjust it, up or down
  • vanneto
    Options
    Yeah! Don't try to understand a simple concept! Avoid it and take the easy route. Congratulations. :D