Do I or don't I eat back exercise calories?

Options

Replies

• TaylorsGranddad
    TaylorsGranddad Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry EAT, if you are not DONT! Listen to your body, its smarter than the website.

THIS PERSON SPEAKS SENSE x
  • damianpurvis
    damianpurvis Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    As already stated, everyone is different.

For me personaly, I try to eat back half of what I burn on my scheduled exercise days. Days that I am active but I don't "excercise" I don't eat back whatever I may burn. I do it to keep my metabolism from getting to use to the same amount of calories each day.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    It depends. If you've taken your exercise into account when calculating your activity level, then no. Otherwise, I would try to at least net 1200 so some days that could mean eating back some or most of them, others it might not.

If you aren't measuring with a heart rate monitor and are instead going with a machine reading or MFP's calculations, I wouldn't eat back more than 2/3 of them because it's likely not accurate anyways!
  • daggs95
    daggs95 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I use to not "eat them back" and I was sick often whenever my calorie intake was about 1200 (now I know its because my net must have been something ridiculous). I also never lost one stinking pound when I was eating around 1600 calories on average (my basal) so i use to think I could lose weight from the exerise and activity. And I think some people can if their body is set up like that. But for some it goes into lockdown mode and your body will just burn exactly what you eat never allowing you to ever lose anything (i also never gained in 9years either because I exerise 4-6 days a week and am active every day)

Thanks to this site I have a way to see it all and am eating more and am finally losing.
  • sam76943
    Options
    I've never eaten back my exercise caories and only use mfp to calculate. I've lost 50.5 pounds since jan 10th of this year and am at my goal weight. I ignored all the warnings that mfp gave me about starvation mode and just kept at it and it worked for me!
  • mrincredible93
    Options
    I can't believe there are so many people here who don't know what they are talking about but yet sound so authoritative saying it.
    Food is fuel.
    If you use more fuel, you need to refill the tank.
    Not refilling at all will put your body into starvation mode. This is an automatic response where your body will not let go ofthe calories you take in because it is protecting your organ functions. You may lose weight quickly at first but it will not be sustainable. You will gain the weight back or you will lose muscle mass.
    Fast weight loss can be sustained if you eat back 2/3 to 3/4 of the calories burned. But you need to eat it back within 12 -24 hours. No binges on a Saturday for a Wednesday workout.
    High quality complex carbs before workout, quality protein after for recovery and muscle growth. Plenty of water all day.
    Very Simple.
    Fuel your activity.
  • yowla
    yowla Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I just went to my Drs. office and this is what he told me to do. Eat 1200 calories a day and exercise 1 hr a day and I will lose weight. I found that if I feel really hungry I drink more water. Some times I am not hungry at all. What you really should do is see your Dr for the best way to do this. I try not to eat all my exercise calories. I try to leave at least 1/2 on a good day. On the weekends, I love to eat those puppies up. I think it will all average out over the week. Plus it all depends on what you eat too. If you eat 1200 calories in Junk your body isn't doing any good. The twinkie diet doesn't work.
  • MrsNCO7
    Options
    I agree that MFP overestimates the calories burned, and I have struggled with weght loss so I recently stopped logging my exercise. However, after reading some of these replies, I can agree (and will start) to add back 50% or 80% of those calories. I also like the recommendation to let your body tell you - if you are hungry, then by all means, eat (and drink more water). It has taken me months of 'trial and error' to learn what works best for me (and I am still learning). Good luck to you.
  • MrsNCO7
    Options
    I just went to my Drs. office and this is what he told me to do. Eat 1200 calories a day and exercise 1 hr a day and I will lose weight. I found that if I feel really hungry I drink more water. Some times I am not hungry at all. What you really should do is see your Dr for the best way to do this. I try not to eat all my exercise calories. I try to leave at least 1/2 on a good day. On the weekends, I love to eat those puppies up. I think it will all average out over the week. Plus it all depends on what you eat too. If you eat 1200 calories in Junk your body isn't doing any good. The twinkie diet doesn't work.

Excellent advce and I agree. I will follow your doctor's recommendation. Thank you.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    I can't believe there are so many people here who don't know what they are talking about but yet sound so authoritative saying it.
    Food is fuel.
    If you use more fuel, you need to refill the tank.
    Not refilling at all will put your body into starvation mode. This is an automatic response where your body will not let go ofthe calories you take in because it is protecting your organ functions. You may lose weight quickly at first but it will not be sustainable. You will gain the weight back or you will lose muscle mass.
    Fast weight loss can be sustained if you eat back 2/3 to 3/4 of the calories burned. But you need to eat it back within 12 -24 hours. No binges on a Saturday for a Wednesday workout.
    High quality complex carbs before workout, quality protein after for recovery and muscle growth. Plenty of water all day.
    Very Simple.
    Fuel your activity.

BS. starvation mode is what happened at Auschwitz. a person who is 45lbs overweight will not go into starvation mode if they eat under 1200 calories for 3 days in a row or 5 days in a row or however soon you think it will happen.

you don't understand what you think you understand.

also, who said anything about NOT refilling the tank? who said go on a ZERO calorie diet? all we said was that a calorie deficit leads to burning stored fat and thus, weight loss. whether that's a 10% or 20% or 30% deficit, that's hardly "not refilling the tank".

your body is DESIGNED to save energy (calories) during times when food is plenty, to use later when it needs it when food is scarce. that's why we store fat. when you ingest fewer calories than your body needs, it turns to this stored fat to make up the difference. this is a fact. you will not go anywhere near starvation mode until most of that stored fat is gone.

now if you want to speak about poor nutrition due to low calorie diets, that's a different topic. or if you want to talk about slowing down your metabolism a little bit as a result of poor diet or poor health or whatever, that's also a different topic. but the notion that you MUST eat your back your exercise calories or face the imminent threat of starvation mode is preposterous.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Wow.

Anyway...we are all humans. We work the same. Fuel your body. I'm in the camp of eat above your BMR but below your TDEE. I burn close to 3100 on workout days and 2700-2800 on non workout days (my my BMF device) So I eat 2200-2700 calories a day. I lost 10 pounds last month.

Once my shoulder is at 100% and I start lifting weights again, I'll probably eat more. Weightloss isn't about eating the smallest number possible. It's about not eating over the amount you burn in a day. So if I burn 3000 calories in a day, I'm safe to eat 2500 calories. I couldn't imagine only consuming 1200 calories on workout days. You need to eat!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Truth is....there is no "one size fits all" answer to this... What works for some does not work for others.

Everyone on this site is at a different fitness level and stage of their own journey. Some people are doing hard core cardio and strength training 5-6 days a week, while others might only be doing a 30 minute, 3mph walk twice a week...so while the whole 'fuel your body more" theory does make sense, the level of 'refueling' is simply not the same for everyone.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Being able to eat more is the only reason I'm motivated to exercise. On the plus side, my body looks better and my heart is in way better shape, even though I eat those calories back. There's nothing wrong with that, even if it is specifically so I can eat more.

But yes, if it's weight loss speed alone, you MIGHT lose faster if you don't eat them back, assuming starvation mode is a myth. I lose at the same rate now as I did when I didn't eat back exercise calories, but am eating a couple hundred more per day on average. It's definitely a per person thing.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Thanks psulemon. I have been exercising in an attempt to save muscles. Oh, well, I see that perhaps I should at least eat some of them back. I am just impatient to lose weight and feel that if I eat them back, losing will take longer.

If it makes you feel better, eat them back with lean protein. Your muscles will thank you for it. :bigsmile:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Excellent advce and I agree. I will follow your doctor's recommendation. Thank you.

I would laugh at my doctor if he told me that. But then, I'm not the "go-to-the-doctor" type of person anyway, not unless it's an emergency. (Come to think of it, there is no one that I would call "my doctor." :laugh: )
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Depends on how you worked out your caloric needs. *I wouldn't go by MFPs calculator.
    If you exercise 5 heavy days a week and that is accounted for, then no.

If you calculated it on just hoew much you need to gy to lose. 5-2 lbs a week, then yes.
  • teresacc26
    teresacc26 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry EAT, if you are not DONT! Listen to your body, its smarter than the website.

lol My thoughts exactly
  • Nimiko
    Nimiko Posts: 52
    Options
    It depends. We have a pretty busy schedule with random functions. When I go to these I will usually monitor my food and eat up those calories. I usually try to eat proteins rather than carbs when using them. On days where I am home...I don't use the earned calories. Today however I just might have to exercise double. A coworker brought in a huge bag of candy corn in and that is one of my BIGGEST temptations! Candy Corn + Me = :love:
  • hdjjones
    hdjjones Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I too haven't been on MFP very long but I have not been eating them back. I feel fine and am losing weight. :smile: :smile:
  • hdjjones
    hdjjones Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I too haven't been on MFP very long but I have not been eating them back. I feel fine and am losing weight.