• wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    At least I learned
    I'm not the only one. So not nuts. :)
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Here's a sugarfree nutella option that the diabetes nutritionist suggested to my mother - sugarfree almond butter with cocoa powder added to it. I guess you could add a dash of artificial sweetener also and maybe some whey powder, but my mom likes to put cinnamon on top of her nutella anyways so cinnamon on top of the alternative would probably give her a very similar taste.

Hmmm, GREAT IDEA.. thank you!
  • TJFreeman
    Options
    I love Stevia in the Raw. I have tried Truvia, and just cannot tolerate the aftertaste.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Please remember that not all substitutes will work as expected. Whether it's stevia, or sugar, or honey, or even carob (I have a horror story about that) they won't taste the exact same and may ruin the dish or baking product. If its your first time making a certain recipe I would suggest doing the actual recipe and then trying various substitutes through multiple attempts. Recipes are rarely perfected in a single shot, and substitutes are likewise. With experience you'll get closer, but rarely perfect.
  • wrevhn
    Options
    Please remember that not all substitutes will work as expected. Whether it's stevia, or sugar, or honey, or even carob (I have a horror story about that) they won't taste the exact same and may ruin the dish or baking product. If its your first time making a certain recipe I would suggest doing the actual recipe and then trying various substitutes through multiple attempts. Recipes are rarely perfected in a single shot, and substitutes are likewise. With experience you'll get closer, but rarely perfect.

good advice.

and lord, carob powder....:noway: I'm so glad to not have a chocolate allergy. I'd cry.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I have tried all of the sweeteners and I like Truvia the best. It has the consistency of real cane sugar. I can't even eat anything with Splenda in it anymore!
  • Time2Recognize
    Options
    Just be aware of aspartame in "diet" and "low calorie" products. If you want to see what is so bad about it watch the documentary Sweet Misery. Might even still be on YouTube I do not know for sure though. It is amazing to me that it is a legal sweetener as it is essentially a poison. My mother has used it for years and while I cannot say for sure it's the aspartame (she does other things that are harmful to her health and such) I've noticed her mental capacity and lucidity has been on a downward sloap. I worry for her. She is only in her early 60s and I fear her getting Alzheimer's or perhaps a brain tumor. However she refuses seeing a doctor for an MRI or anything of the sort.

Stay away from aspartame, real sugar is MUCH better. Better yet, use honey. It's antibacterial, local honey will alleviate allergies if encorporated into the diet, and it tastes amazing too! Read labels, eat real food (doesn't come in a box or package) and don't believe what advertisements say just because they say it. Aspartame will be in things like gum, diet drinks, diet foods, cannon yogurt has it (my mother eats it daily and uses aspartame sweetener in her coffee) just keep an eye out.
  • wrevhn
    Options
    Just be aware of aspartame in "diet" and "low calorie" products. If you want to see what is so bad about it watch the documentary Sweet Misery. Might even still be on YouTube I do not know for sure though. It is amazing to me that it is a legal sweetener as it is essentially a poison. My mother has used it for years and while I cannot say for sure it's the aspartame (she does other things that are harmful to her health and such) I've noticed her mental capacity and lucidity has been on a downward sloap. I worry for her. She is only in her early 60s and I fear her getting Alzheimer's or perhaps a brain tumor. However she refuses seeing a doctor for an MRI or anything of the sort.

Stay away from aspartame, real sugar is MUCH better. Better yet, use honey. It's antibacterial, local honey will alleviate allergies if encorporated into the diet, and it tastes amazing too! Read labels, eat real food (doesn't come in a box or package) and don't believe what advertisements say just because they say it. Aspartame will be in things like gum, diet drinks, diet foods, cannon yogurt has it (my mother eats it daily and uses aspartame sweetener in her coffee) just keep an eye out.

the only thing i think that i get it in, hard to stop, is sprite zeros. I love them, and often need carbonated bev to help with heartburn/indig.

but outside of the occasional sprite zero, i think i avoid it okay.

makes my mom jittery.
  • wrevhn
    Options
    Also xylitol can be used to make fudge
    http://www.elanaspantry.com/chocolate-peanut-butter-fudge/

or caramel sauce
    http://www.foodiefiasco.com/2012/02/22/almost-calorie-free-caramel/

both can be done with Erythritol too I think.