Staying full on a healthy diet

Options
I hate to admit it, but I find unhealthy foods (bacon, white bread, full fat cheese, etc.) much more filling than the healthier options I know I should be eating. I've done well so far today with my food, but eating like this kickstarts my metabolism and makes me hungry all the time. And munching on fruit (which I don't like very much anyway) doesn't do much to fill me up. I'm also not a big fan of nuts. What are some healthy snacks -- and meals -- that I can use to fill up without eating crap?

Replies

• farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    How about cooked fresh vegetables? Or raw ones AKA salad

PS roast potatoes do not count :-)
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    How about cooked fresh vegetables? Or raw ones AKA salad

PS roast potatoes do not count :-)

Vegetables definitely don't fill me up. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the taste, but if I want something that's going to keep me full for a few hours, veggies aren't it. :( Roast potatoes sounds yummy, though!
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    High fat and high protein foods will do it. That doesn't mean a bacon double cheeseburger though! lol

How about adding avacado to your meals. I love guacamole and use it as a condiment on everything. I get those 100calorie snack packs and use 1/4-1/3 of it to add to sandwiches, burritos, scrambled eggs, etc. Also there's nothing wrong with cheese as long as your not eating multiple servings multiple times a day! Granted it has some saturated fat but it also has protein. If you really like cheese have some. Also how about adding beans to salads or other meals? They have protein and will help fill you up without a ton of extra calories.

Good luck!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Ok, full fat cheese and bacon are NOT unhealthy. Part of the reason that they make you feel full is the NUTRITION contained within. Don't listen to the food nazi's. I eat cheese every day. (I would *never* intentially buy low-fat cheese.) And I have bacon and sausage once or twice a week. I eat white bread almost daily. And I am losing fat without losing lean body mass because I am getting extra protein and doing strength training while in a *slight* calorie deficit. I am losing about 1 pound per week and about an inch or two each week.:smokin:

If you are getting nutrition from it (carbs, fats, protein) and staying in your calorie goal *AND* feeling full, then you are doing it right. Don't let anyone tell you different! :flowerforyou:
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    hardboiled egg......it's very filling and nutritious. My dad lost a lot of weight by 'snacking' on hardboiled eggs and eating smaller protions of 'regular' food at mealtimes. Also drink more water or herbal tea......A tablespoon full of PB on some carrots or celery as a snack is also very filling. I find that eating high protein and some fat works well as filling snacks (just make sure you watch the total amount/cals and keep it at a snack portion.)
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    1 serving of old-fashioned oatmeal (not refined) with 1 tbsp raisins, 1/2 tbsp peanut butter, and 1/2 tsp brown sugar fills me up for a couple of hours at least. I wait 3 hours before each meal and drink water or herb tea between meals. I think you're supposed to be hungry before the next meal. I don't know where this idea that we should never feel hungry comes from, but I think it's wrong.
  • lorettaasmith
    lorettaasmith Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Try having hummus with your fresh veggies, or add lean meats, or a little peanut butter with your apples, or boiled eggs. In general, you have to have some protein to stay full.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Full fat cheese isn't unhealthy, and neither is bacon. :|
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Protein. It keeps me fuller much longer than anything carb based. Also little and often eating works for me as I'm a hungry horse too. I like to eat a lot as well and I have found protein based snacks/small meals keep me fuller. I also like to have a choccy protein bar. They feel a bit like having a treat I think.
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    The Sara Lee 45 calories and Delightful bread is pretty filling. If you just love the taste of white bread, opt for Wonder Smart White which is 100 calories for 2 slices. Borden fat free American cheese singles are great for cheese flavor on a sandwich and only add 30 calories per slice. If you don't have sensitivity to salt, make a big sandwich.

2 slices Wonder Smart White bread
    2 slices Jennie O Blue ribbon deli turkey
    2 slices tomato
    2 Claussen dill pickle sandwich slices
    1 tablespoon light Miracle Whip

pair with a medium apple

calorie count is around 284 calories
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Ok, full fat cheese and bacon are NOT unhealthy. Part of the reason that they make you feel full is the NUTRITION contained within. Don't listen to the food nazi's. I eat cheese every day. (I would *never* intentially buy low-fat cheese.) And I have bacon and sausage once or twice a week. I eat white bread almost daily. And I am losing fat without losing lean body mass because I am getting extra protein and doing strength training while in a *slight* calorie deficit. I am losing about 1 pound per week and about an inch or two each week.:smokin:

If you are getting nutrition from it (carbs, fats, protein) and staying in your calorie goal *AND* feeling full, then you are doing it right. Don't let anyone tell you different! :flowerforyou:

:drinker:
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Eggs, avocado, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, sweet potatoes, black beans, chickpeas (garbanzo beans), tofu....

Look for things with high protein content, and don't go for the "fat free" version. Healthy fat (like in avocados!) is good for you!

There ARE veggies that are going to fill you up more than others. Avocado is a great example—also, corn, sweet potatoes, edamame, carrots, cauliflower, kale, broccoli are all going to be more filling than just plain ol' lettuce. Fruit can be the same way—look for things that have a high fiber content—like dark green veggies and melons.

One of my favorite, most filling soups is veg or chicken broth, tomatoes, kale, spinach, and orzo (a small rice-like noodle). You can also fill up on things like quinoa, brown rice, etc. for grains—quinoa has a HUGE protein content!

The truth is, the more junk you eat, the more you'll want it instead of the good stuff. If you just really try to eat some of the above options at every meal for a few days or a week, they WILL start filling you up and you'll feel better. You won't want to the junk as much.
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options

:drinker:

Actually, it is OK to eat those things every once in awhile, but in the long-term if you eat them daily, they can lead to heart disease, diabetes, etc. They don't have the same benefits as fruits and veggies, nuts, beans, grains, etc. They just don't. Maybe they have the same protein, carbs, fats, etc., but they are missing a lot of the things that veggies have—including antioxidants, etc. You need to focus on whole foods, and limit how much processed (white bread!!!) and meat products you consume, for maximum long-term health. Do the research and you'll see! Even thin people can get heart disease and diabetes, or cancer. :/
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options

Thanks. :) I'm a bit of a hypocrite, I'm always telling people here to get rid of the "diet mentality" and stop saying foods or good or bad. But deep down I still have those tendencies. I need to stop feeling guilty for eating things I like when they still fit into my goals for the day.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I hate to admit it, but I find unhealthy foods (bacon, white bread, full fat cheese, etc.) much more filling than the healthier options I know I should be eating. I've done well so far today with my food, but eating like this kickstarts my metabolism and makes me hungry all the time. And munching on fruit (which I don't like very much anyway) doesn't do much to fill me up. I'm also not a big fan of nuts. What are some healthy snacks -- and meals -- that I can use to fill up without eating crap?

I don't consider bacon and cheese unhealthy. I would, however, change the white bread to wheat. Bacon and cheese have important nutrients, and they are full of protein to keep you full longer. That is why you like them. Just don't overdo it... watch out for sodium and calories.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    If you open your diary we might be able to suggest changes to your "healthy diet" that could help you stay full longer.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Eat the foods that keep you satiated and fit into your macros. Don't subscrie to rubblish like "kickstarting metabolism" and "healthy" vs "unhealthy" foods.

Can you eat bacon, white bread, full fat cheese, etc, feel fulls, and fit it into your calories and macros? Then do it. End of story.
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    PROTEIN< PROTEIN<PROTEIN!!!

Exceed MFP Protein amounts and fiber amounts (you really need 28-30 grams of fiber)... Stay under their Carb count (they are way to high)... Carbs spike blood sugar making you hungry.. reduce your carbs and increase your protein.
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    high fiber foods are filling. whole wheat pasta, brown rice, oatmeal and lentils are all really good at filling you up and are all quite nutrient-rich
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    raw veggies with low calorie dip