Favorite Quick Fix Dinner?

Options
I am looking for some new, low calorie, quick fix dinners for during the work week. What's your favorite?

Replies

• rdmchugh
    Options
    This one is a family favorite and very easy:

Black Beans and Rice

1 ½ cups frozen corn (or 1 can)
    1 can black beans (organic)
    1 cup brown rice (basmati)
    2 cups water
    1 LB chicken sausage (Applegate or similar organic)

Cut sausage into circles and warm in pan 1-2 minutes
    Add water, corn, black beans and rice
    Stir
    Cover and simmer until rice is cooked (50 minutes for brown rice, 25 minutes for white rice)

Enjoy!
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Beans on toast! Seriously. Quick,easy, cheap, filling and delicious.

I'm easily pleased. : )
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Sticky BBQ quorn fillets or smoked tuna mixed with flavoured couscous, jalapenos, olives, roasted peppers etc.
  • tjphelps73
    tjphelps73 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup egg white, one medium egg, 1oz feta cheese, fresh spinach leaves - turn into an omelet if I have any extra protein laying around I throw it in. Add salsa on top or non fat, plain greek yogurt and paprika
  • Jflowwers
    Jflowwers Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Stirfrys!!! I cook up so brown rice in low sodium chiken broth and while thats cooking I sautee some chicken breast. Remove chicken from the pan after cooked through, in the same pan throw in some yellow onion and peppers.. let those get soft then throw in garlic and aspargus . Delaze with a little chicken broth and add a few tablespoons of a healthy stiry fry sauce.. I like targets archer farms general tsos. Add back in the chicken and serve over a cup of brown rice. Comes in at about 420 calories and super filling, tons of protein and yummy!
  • christinaleffmann
    Options
    For really quick I just have whole wheat pasta (keeps you full longer than non whole-wheat) with tomato sauce, maybe add spinach, zucchini, onion etc if you have it or feel like it and top with parmesan. Its one of the easiest meals. You could cut up some veggie or chicken sausage for it too.
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    My favorite quick go-to is a Quinoa Bowl. Basically, I cook one serving of quinoa in either water or Low-sodium chicken broth. While that is cooking I saute whatever vegetables I have on hand--mushrooms, asparagus, broccoli, spinach, carrots, squash--any combo in 2 tsp olive oil with a clove of garlic. Sometimes I add an egg and scramble it into the veggies. S&P to taste. Fold in the quinoa and then top with diced tomato or sliced green onion. Delish.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Sticky BBQ quorn fillets or smoked tuna mixed with flavoured couscous, jalapenos, olives, roasted peppers etc.

Quorn??

Why have I never heard of this?
    (My guess is cause I'm a Canuck and you're from the UK)
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Pizza made on a low-cal flatbread.
    Caesar salad with grilled chicken strips and a bowl of veggie soup.
    I'm a big fan of breakfast for dinner
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Our go-tos:
    Baked or grilled salmon (I marinate it in some low sodium teriyake sauce during the day) with a side of steamed green beans or broccoli
    Chicken stir fry (with green and red peppers, an onion, garlic, broccoli, teriyake sauce) over brown rice
    chicken noodle soup (light on the noodles)
    grilled sirloin with chimichurri (basically a bunch of herbs, a little EVOO and red wine vinegar in the food processor) on top and a side spinach salad (or brocc or green beans)

When my boyfriend is working and I can eat my weirdo things:
    big bowl of mashed butternut squash with a little butter and cinnamon
    2 eggs over easy, each on a piece of light wheat toast
    make an onion soup with light beef broth, an onion, and Worcestershire sauce and a slice of swiss cheese on top
    grilled PB&J
  • helpmeherman
    helpmeherman Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My go-to is the black bean quesadilla. Spread some black beans between two tortillas with some shredded cheddar and green onion, then toast on each side. Easy, filling, and delicious.
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    yesterday I put chicken, 1 c soy sauce 1 c pineapple juice 1/2 c brown sugar and some pineapples in the crock pot - cooked for 7 hours on low and served over rice - delicious and good and Im having leftovers for lunch today!
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    My go-to dinner is roasted vegetable with some kind of grain and protein.
    Cut up whatever vegetables you have (cauliflower, carrot, broccoli, brussel sprouts, beets, green beans, peppers, onions, sweet potatoes, eggplant) toss with some oil, S&P, whole garlic cloves and roast at 350-400 for 30-45 minutes. Top with an easy over egg, beans, fried tofu, or simply cooked meat. Serve with pasta, rice, couscous, barley, quinoa, or a bit of bread.
    My favorite right now is roasted broccoli or green beans with sweet potato and onions, served with garbanzo and barley. But an egg on top of anything is a big winner in my house lately.
  • weloveourboys
    weloveourboys Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti with butter and parmesan cheese (i have 3 young boys and everyone loves this and it's simple), served with boiled green beans

Nutella on challah (egg) bread (yum)

Baked acorn squash with brown sugar and butter (takes an hour to bake but is simple to do)

Pasta with Raos tomato and basil sauce, or any of Rao's sauces they're all delicious
  • Denise1224
    Denise1224 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Tacos made me with ground turkey, whole weat tortilla, shredded cole slaw mix instead of lettuce lowfat cheese tomato and a chipotle ranch in place of the sour cream :smile:
  • sweetd_cali
    sweetd_cali Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Pita pizzas - cut a pita in half, spread your fave sauce, cheese and toppings, broil and voila - dinner!
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I keep a plastic bin of peppers and onions in the freezer, so I'll sautee a bunch of them then add in 1 beaten egg and a 1/4 cup of cheese. Sometimes I get fancy and make an omelette, but most of the time it's scrambled. It ends up being just a tad over 200 cals.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    My quick fix is cooking or partially cooking meals during weekends.
    It's so easy to make a consistent salad when you grill the chicken breast on week-ends.
    It's so easy when I have a pot of soup or stew already made... I just need to heat it. :D
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Scrambled eggs. It's great for a day when I don't have many calories left and another perk is the protein.