• wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    What I am is what I am
    Are you what you are or what?
    What I am is what I am
    Are you what you are or...what?

Oh, I'm not aware of too many things
    I know what I know, if you know what I mean.

Philosophy is a walk on the slippery rocks
    Religion is a light in the fog
    I'm not aware of too many things
    I know what I know, if you know what I mean...do you?
  • MandaPaigeSparkles88
    MandaPaigeSparkles88 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    People have a hard time believing that I am a shy person. I am shy till you get to know me, but once you get to know me then that's a whole different story. I talk all the time I never shut up I do dumb, crazy, and stupid things. I say the dumbest things. And I always make people laugh. But I don't think I am different in real life than I am on here, facebook, or anywhere else.
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much the same, but a lot more innocent and nice in real life. My innocent and niceness is all an act, so I guess the online me is more the real me.
    Well that, and the fact that you're really a dude. ;)
    Minor details..
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much the same, but a lot more innocent and nice in real life. My innocent and niceness is all an act, so I guess the online me is more the real me.
    Well that, and the fact that you're really a dude. ;)
    Minor details..
    Size matters.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I am the same. Because I think it's cowardly to be fake. :)
  • Dawnymaries
    Options
    I'm not really that different, no. I am a bit less shy about interacting with people online. In person I've always been quiet around people I don't know well. That is the only difference for me. I'm still a bit shy when it comes to Skype and stuff, though.

Most people I know who use the internet a lot are pretty much the same online and off. I find that it is people who don't interect much with online communities... certain relatives of mine, for example. They're really outgoing and happy in person and when they send you a message on Facebook they seem like the most serious, boring people ever. lol
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    Are you different online vs offline?

Nope. What you see is what you get, online or off.

Are other people you've met different from one platform to the other?

Depends on the person. I've seen it go both ways. I belong to a reader forum and have met at least 30 of the online members in person. One thing I've found to be consistent is that folks who are jerks online are generally jerks offline, although they tended to be more reserved offline when you're standing in front of them.

If there is a difference in persona for you and/or others, why is that?

Anonymity and the lack of accountability. You can pretty much do and/or say anything you want online without significant repercussions.

Is anonymity the root of all evil on the Internet?

No, evil is the root of all evil. It isn't the internet's fault if I'm a jerk online. It's mine. I'm the one who chooses how I act and respond, not the internet. I think it's just that some folks put more stock in personal accountability than others.

Another issue that needs to be taken into consideration is that it's often difficult to discern intent and tone via written text and that could play a role in how one is perceived.
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    Another issue that needs to be taken into consideration is that it's often difficult to discern intent and tone via written text and that could play a role in how one is perceived.
    Very true. Something gets severely lost-in-translation via text message and/or email.
  • LordByproduct
    Options
    i actually feel more myself online. 1) because i do practice aggressive self-honesty real life or online 2) being something other than me would be fake and stooooopid 3) in real life i am less likely to say everything...ie i hold back whereas online i just let it all out.
  • _HeyMommy_
    _HeyMommy_ Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I am who am as well, BUUUUUT I am 100% less social offline. More often then not I do not speak unless spoken to...

^^ This..
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I try to live authentically, so I am pretty much me in real life and online. I am a little more prone to debate online, but I think that's because of opportunity. I don't really enjoy conflict, but on a message board there are more situations and more people that you will find yourself disagreeing with.
  • smboston
    Options
    A little late, but I ran across this article today about a Reddit user/moderator and his unmasking. It's interesting how his real-life melded in ways with his on-life.

http://gawker.com/5950981/unmasking-reddits-violentacrez-the-biggest-troll-on-the-web
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I used to be myself, but I find I actually get into less trouble on forums hiding behind my avatar. So I've cut out anything personal, and go between being a sarcastic a-hole and helpful.
  • ailaboger
    Options
    UNION BANK OF TOGO
    BANK ACKNOWLEDGEMENT LETTER

From the desk of: MR BARRIS HIBBERT GEORGE(Director of foreign remittance)

THE CENTRAL BANK AUDITORS WILL AUDIT THE ACCOUNT'S OF THE BANK BEFORE SECOND WEEK OF DECEMBER 3TH 2012 AND FOR THIS REASON THE BANK IS EXPECTED TO SETTLE EVERY INDEBTEDNESS AND BALANCE HER ACCOUNT'S SO ANY FUND'S OWING BY THE BANK THAT IS NOT PAID OR TRANSFER WILL BE PASTPONED TILL FURTHER NOTICE OR TERMINATED .

BEAR IN MIND THAT THIS IS VERY URGENT BECAUSE OF THE LIMITED TIME FOR THE 2012-BANKING YEAR AUDITORS.

(foreignremittance_bank@ibibo.com)
    MR BARRIS HIBBERT GEORGE
    +22899716522