I HATE WHOLE GRAIN PASTA BUT IT'S SO HEALTHY!!!

Options
Today, Im trying a cooking experiment. The title says it all how can you make whole grain pasta taste less like cardboard box...
This is what I plan on doing for lunch " WHOLE GRAIN PASTA EITH SPICY GROUND BEEF VEGETABLES".
These are the following ingredients I plan on using. Some might like it while others don't I'm jut giving ideas I'm not a professional cook.
*Chili powder
*Sea salt
*Cumin
*Ground sage
*Cloves
1/2 Jamaican pepper
2 cloves of garlic
Ground beef
Pigeon peas
Ketchup
Graded Ginger
Whole Grain Pasta
Dice onion,pepper,carrots, cavage
Soy sauce
Key note: I'm going to try the Kraft Philadelphia cook crew the one that has Italian cheese and herb on a scoop first before applying it throughout the pasta.
I seasoned the ground beef before I cook it with the following spices I will put ** next to them. For instance, I pounded the garlic,cloves,and Jamaican pepper together. You season the meat to your licking ! After the meat finish cooking I added the onion and etc... I added the ketchup for color!
Once I was done with the meat I decided to tackle the pasta head on I cool it el dente.
After it was cook I heat up a pot with oil in it and added ginger, garlic, and thyme !!
I have no clue how my experiment is going to turn out so I will keep you guys posted.

If you guys have any suggestion on different recipe with whole grain pasta feel free to post them it's best being informed instead of having to follow the weird instruction on the box. FYI I am not a cook.

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    If you don't like whole grain pasta I wouldn't eat it

It does not have any magic properties to help you lose weight
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    why is it so "healthy"?

who says it is?
  • Dupas1962
    Dupas1962 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I know but I am trying to avoid eating the regular ones
  • Dupas1962
    Dupas1962 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    No clue...
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    If you don't know why you should avoid it, why avoid it? There is nothing especially healthy about whole grain pasta and there is nothing especially unhealthy about enriched pastas.

I do like the taste and texture of whole grain, not because I think it's any better for me. Both types are a regular part of my diet. Just watch your portion sizes to keep the calories in check.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I hate it too, so I stick with regular pasta. The only difference is a little bit of fiber. Whole grain pasta is not so superior as marketing gurus would lead us to believe. All pasta is complex carbohydrates, regardless of whether or not it is "whole grain." Serve it up with two servings of good veggies and that fiber you lost by choosing "white pasta" just got replaced by some yummy veggies. When I do pasta, I use frozen veggies labeled Italian mix, which is generally zucchini, cauliflower, carrots, & green beans.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    The whole grain version is better than the white starch version (fewer carbs), but other than that, it's really not much different in terms of calories. Most of the people who eat it do so to avoid the insulin spike. If you hate it that much, just eat regular, and watch your macros. I'd rather have a smaller portion of regular than a larger portion of whole wheat if I didn't like whole wheat. (Fortunately, I do like whole wheat pasta/wraps.)

I apply the same principle to cooking. I never use fat-free anything because the consistency and taste are so off. I'd rather have a small bit of whatever I'm cooking than a big piece I won't even want to eat.
  • KateS211
    KateS211 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I use catelli smart pasta. It has higher fibre than regular pasta, but doesn't have the texture of whole wheat pasta.
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Maybe try a different brand and make sure you're cooking it long enough? Since I've switched over to whole grain, I hate the regular stuff. It's tasteless and cardboardy to me!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    It's not as healthy as you think it is.

Why not just eat normal, delicious pasta sparingly and get "health" from food you don't hate?
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    why is it so "healthy"?

who says it is?

I like it because of the added fiber and protein. Plus, I just think it tastes better.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Regular pasta is just fine.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    How can you even tell the difference? Enriched pasta has no flavor either.
  • melburkhart
    Options
    wheat pasta can be very strong i use to mix it with regular pasta and then i went to a nutritionist she suggested... barilla plus..its all i buy now.. even my kids eat it without complaints.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    If you don't like whole grain pasta I wouldn't eat it

It does not have any magic properties to help you lose weight

Seriously this ^^ Pasta itself really isn't doing you any favors. Keep the portion small, focus on you proteins and veggies, and eat what you like, for cripes sake.
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    There is a big difference between brands. Try a few and see if you can find one you actually do like. I like Bionaturae brand; it tastes different than the pasta I grew up with, but has a nice taste and texture.

But, if you really hate it, than don't eat it. It's certainly not necessary.
  • punkinkat
    punkinkat Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Catelli Smart is pretty good, but I found that when I made the switch (years ago now), it just took some getting used to. Now, I can't stand eating white pasty -- too starchy and sticky!!! It was the same way with white vs. wheat/grain bread.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I hate it too, so I stick with regular pasta. The only difference is a little bit of fiber.
    I use catelli smart pasta. It has higher fibre than regular pasta, but doesn't have the texture of whole wheat pasta.

Both of these I agree with. I don't eat food I don't like. I never understand why people do that.
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't think it tastes that different from "regular" pasta. You're not eating pasta for the taste of it, you're eating it for the taste of the sauce or toppings, no? Or maybe that's just me...
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    It's not that healthful. Try just making brown rice, bulgar, quinoa, or some other whole grain and lose the pasta entirely.