I HATE WHOLE GRAIN PASTA BUT IT'S SO HEALTHY!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• LisaDunn01
    LisaDunn01 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Pastas, grains, breads, etc., all convert to SUGAR and are not healthy for the body. Instead, try spaghetti squash OR cut zucchini into long, thin strips (there is a tool out there that does this) and then use your favorite topping. MUCH healthier for you (and much lower in calories and carbohydrates).
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I usually choose whole wheat anything over anything "white". Mostly because I have been eating whole wheat for so long when I eat something not, my stomach gets mad at me.

My boyfriend doesn't like the whole wheat past as much so we do buy regular sometimes. But he refuses to buy whole wheat tortillas. *sigh* So we have to buy two kinds of tortillas.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Stuff is not healthier because it is whole grain. If you don't like it, don't eat it!
  • talithag
    Options
    It also depends on what kind of whole wheat pasta you buy. I have found my favorite is Great Value (WalMart store brand) whole wheat linguini--it is SO good. I appreciate how much more filling whole wheat pasta is, and I notice less sluggishness after I eat it compared to white flour pasta.

I just make sure I put a strong flavored sauce, and lots of veggies with it.

10458506.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I actually LOVE whole grain Pasta...

But... If you don't like it... try barley instead .. It has the consistency and texture close to rice... but has a very low glycemic index and is super high in fiber and potassium...Or try putting your pasta sauce over chickpeas instead... less calories, more protein, win win!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I hate it too, so I stick with regular pasta. The only difference is a little bit of fiber. Whole grain pasta is not so superior as marketing gurus would lead us to believe. All pasta is complex carbohydrates, regardless of whether or not it is "whole grain." Serve it up with two servings of good veggies and that fiber you lost by choosing "white pasta" just got replaced by some yummy veggies. When I do pasta, I use frozen veggies labeled Italian mix, which is generally zucchini, cauliflower, carrots, & green beans.

Every word of this. I add a bunch of frozen vegetables to pasta when I make it. Have a slightly smaller portion of pasta and have extra vegetables in whatever sauce you use.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Smart Taste pastas have the same taste and texture as regular pasta, but have a LOT of fiber in them.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    CHOKE IT DOWN BY THE BOXFULL OR YOU'LL NEVER LOSE WEIGHT

ACTUALLY DONT EVEN COOK IT, YOU'LL LOSE NUTRIENTS
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    No, it's not healthy. Neither is white. If you choose to eat it, eat the form you like the most. But don't be fooling yourself that just because it's "whole grain" that it's healthy.

Of course we all have different opinions; eat what you want to! If you don't enjoy your food, then your eating plan is not sustainable.
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Just for the record, I don't think any pasta is 'healthy' - whole grain is just the lesser of two carb evils... and I think it's delicious
  • mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I prefer whole wheat pasta, but if you don't like it I would just skip eating pasta all together and eat the "good" stuff on your cheat day.
  • BrownEyedGrrl
    Options
    Brown rice pasta is really tasty! You could try that
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    No, it's not healthy. Neither is white. If you choose to eat it, eat the form you like the most. But don't be fooling yourself that just because it's "whole grain" that it's healthy.

Of course we all have different opinions; eat what you want to! If you don't enjoy your food, then your eating plan is not sustainable.

Huh? I eat white (semolina) pasta. Are you suggesting that I'm unhealthy?
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Pastas, grains, breads, etc., all convert to SUGAR and are not healthy for the body. Instead, try spaghetti squash OR cut zucchini into long, thin strips (there is a tool out there that does this) and then use your favorite topping. MUCH healthier for you (and much lower in calories and carbohydrates).

I'm going to go on a limb and say she probably will not like those any better :-P
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Huh? I eat white (semolina) pasta. Are you suggesting that I'm unhealthy?

Get out of this thread, you're disgusting everyone with your obvious unhealthiness and devil food
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    If you don't like whole grain pasta I wouldn't eat it

It does not have any magic properties to help you lose weight

^^^^This!! Don't let the 'bad carbs police' intimidating you into eating something you don't like! Make the pasta the way you like it and eat a sensible portion, stay in your calorie goal. Enjoy!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't think it tastes that different from "regular" pasta. You're not eating pasta for the taste of it, you're eating it for the taste of the sauce or toppings, no? Or maybe that's just me...
    Must be just you. :laugh:

If all I wanted was the sauce, then I would just add sauce to my meat. (aka gravy)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Guess what? Part of the zucchini turns to sugar too! :smokin: ALL carbs that are not fiber become glucose. (Fiber passes through undigested.) Some carbs turn quicker than others. For example, an apple will convert to sugar much quicker than pasta. Pasta is a complex-carbohydrate so the chains have to break down before they can be converted to glucose, thus making it take a little longer and resulting in lower over-all blood sugars. :flowerforyou: