Indian Restaurant Terror O:

Options
Hi!

Just been informed that this Sunday that the family is being taken out by family friends to an Indian restaurant... I'm not exactly a spice fan to begin with so I tend towards the dairy rich curries- which are going to be higher in calories right? The reason why the family friends like it as they're very authentic and will use yoghurts and creams liberally in the dishes, so you can probably see where this is going...

... any specific meals or dishes I should order or avoid? Bearing in mind I don't like spice that much?

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your dinner and get back on track the next day
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Yes, do this:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I was expecting something more bowel related based on the topic...
  • jzrharv
    jzrharv Posts: 126 Member
    Options

Repeat.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Extra workout in the morning and no naan bread & ur good! Enjoy!
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Tandoori grilled items are healthy and not usually spicy.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I recommend lamb/beef curry, lots of naan bread and chutneys, basmati ricde, coca-cola and then getting back on track the next day. That's what I would do. :)
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    No starter, Chicken Tikka Starter (which comes with salad) for main, half a portion of boiled rice - Nice and low in cals and high in protein
    Or
    Workout hard before and enjoy what you want!!
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options

I must disagree with this. ALWAYS get the naan. It's too good to pass up!

j/k. Get whatever you want and don't worry about it. One day "off plan" won't ruin what you're trying to do.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options

I must disagree with this. ALWAYS get the naan. It's too good to pass up!

j/k. Get whatever you want and don't worry about it. One day "off plan" won't ruin what you're trying to do.

Piffle. Give me a good puri or roti over a naan anyday.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Tandoori grilled items are healthy and not usually spicy.

This is what I was going to say. If I'm eating healthy at an Indian restaurant, I tend to go for Tandoori chicken and skip the naan and rice. If I feel like indulging, I'll go for the chicken tikka masala and maybe a samosa :tongue: (As you can imagine, I rarely go to the Indian restaurant. Although I could eat Indian food probably daily, it would get really expensive, really fast.)
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    It's a treat, just enjoy the meal as a cheat day/meal and get back on track the next day. You can't live your life in fear of treats or social meals.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I recommend lamb/beef curry, lots of naan bread and chutneys, basmati ricde, coca-cola and then getting back on track the next day. That's what I would do. :)

Aaaaand now I want to order Indian for dinner tonight.
  • pinkfluff79
    pinkfluff79 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    We got to Indian a lot and I try to stick with Tandoori fish or chicken
  • thisisiamj
    thisisiamj Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    do an extra workout or extra long workout and enjoy your meal and your time with your family :)
  • nokipiston
    Options
    I'd go for a Chicken Shashlik for the main, most curry houses do them. It's tandoori grilled chicken on a skewer served with onion and veg, with sauce on the side. High in protein, not spicy at all and the most sensible option.
  • Pooj_K
    Pooj_K Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Treat this as your cheat day and enjoy. I like that a lot of people like Indian cuisine. Makes me proud :)
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I've never been to an idian restaurant, but I'd love to... In all honesty I'd just have a big blow out and then get back to scratch the day after, have a low calorie day, if your feeling full from the night before! X
  • Needtobefitandslimagain
    Options
    Tandoori is always a good option hun.
    I usually have a chicken or paneer shashlik, it's tasty and comes with onions and peppers, it's also fairly low compared to other dishes.
    I always share a rice with someone and have a couple of spoonfuls. If you really want a naan share one maybe...... Or, work extra hard burning those cals off and treat yourself.

Don't worry about it, once you suss out a few dishes that you could have it makes like so much easier, could you take a look at the menu online beforehand so you can make a mental note of what to select.

Good luck and enjoy!
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I would choose roti over naan because naan is usually made with All Purpose flour vs roti which is made with Wheat flour(unless you are allergic to gluten). Curries - just eat whatever you fancy, no real nutritional difference considering they put cream in pretty much everything in the restaurants :)