Indian Restaurant Terror O:

Options
2»

Replies

• krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I recommend lamb/beef curry, lots of naan bread and chutneys, basmati ricde, coca-cola and then getting back on track the next day. That's what I would do. :)

Aaaaand now I want to order Indian for dinner tonight.

Orrrr...make your own! Go to showmethecurry.com and they have the most amazing recipes :D
  • jdforshort
    jdforshort Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Work out before and the next day. Just enjoy the outing and be prepared for "water wgt gain"! Any restaurant food does that!
  • emotionalharlequin
    Options
    Order dhaal or a chicken curry. Avoid korma (lot of fatty milk/cream and sometimes coconut). Avoid naan (lot of butter/oil involved when cooking). Surprisingly plain white rice is your friend in this situation.
    Don't think veg curry is going to be lower in calories than other curries - its pretty much the same as the other curries, but i suggested going for chicken because its incredibly high in protein and I assume lower in fat than something like lamb.
    Skip starters. From personal experience starters can make your calorie intake creep up to 600+, so I'd say avoid those. If you have to have starters then I would recommend no more than four poppadums. If you order a drink, order water.
    Ultimately you want to cut down on excess calories as much as you can because the actual main (rice/naan and curry) will most probably be approx. 700 calories, minimum.

OR you can treat this as your day off and eat whatever you want.
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, shall bear it in mind :3

PS never had deli belly xD
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    It is one, single meal out. Enjoy it and get back on plan the next day.
    You can't live your life fretting and fussing over calories every single time a nice meal out comes up, that isn't living, and many incorporate a meal out or a treat meal each week anyway. In the grand scheme of things, one meal wont make a difference unless you plan on having another indian meal tomorrow and the day after as well, with no workout.
  • ascotton80
    ascotton80 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    tandoori chicken. not spicy usually, and a good option.
  • ascotton80
    ascotton80 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    If I used the mentality of "it's only one meal out" or "it's christmas" or "it's my birthday" "it's my dog's birthday" "it's valentine's day" "it's my anniversary", I would never lose weight.

I make whatever I am doing fit within my weekly net calorie allowance. It's not impossible.
  • nicleed
    nicleed Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    mmmmm...Indian

That is all.
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    If I used the mentality of "it's only one meal out" or "it's christmas" or "it's my birthday" "it's my dog's birthday" "it's valentine's day" "it's my anniversary", I would never lose weight.

I make whatever I am doing fit within my weekly net calorie allowance. It's not impossible.

That's what I'm like 'ooh, it's pay day- I deserve this cake' (bearing in mind I'm paid every Friday xD) 'ooooh its [an event] it'd be a shame if I didn't' when I've got to my goal I'm more then happy to have special meals but now I know what I'm like x3
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd just eat whatever I wanted and just blow it off if I've been good. But at times I don't want to spend the calories on food I'm not exited about I eat before going and then order something really light and just enjoy the company.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I was expecting something more bowel related based on the topic...

Is it sad I was thinking this too?

I LOVE Indian... so I would just EAT ALL THE THINGS and not worry about it. It's not like you do this daily, it's a special occasion with family, don't let it ruin a good time with family and friends. This is your life, and you have to still ENJOY it or you will quit. Treat yourself and don't worry about it.
  • alladream
    alladream Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I usually just skip the rice as extra filler, enjoy the (vegetarian) dishes that I order, usually with some bread, drink water, and it all works out. Pretty often there is enough to bring home to make leftover hobo stew with the next day, which is fine--I have never run into an Indian restaurant that gets upset about giving doggy bags or leftovers, so hat can be useful.
  • wk9t
    wk9t Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your dinner and get back on track the next day

/\/\/\/\

This!
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Im Indian....and i would suggest you stay away from the reddish colored gravies...spicy!
    skip the rice and maybe just have one Naan bread...its got loads of Ghee or butter on it,
    maybe try all the vegetarian dishes and with the meat dishes, pick out the meat and dont scoop out the gravy...the pieces will have enough sticking to them!!
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I'd go for a Chicken Shashlik for the main, most curry houses do them. It's tandoori grilled chicken on a skewer served with onion and veg, with sauce on the side. High in protein, not spicy at all and the most sensible option.

This^^^ With a little bit of someone else's naan rather than a full one to myself :wink:
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Oh, man... Now I'm starving!
  • STLMel
    STLMel Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love Indian food, but I just know it's a cheat meal and don't do it very often.
  • birdstudios
    birdstudios Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I usually drink water, no starter, order a vegetarian lentil dahl or bean dish (not one with cream!)l or mild veggie curry and eat a third or half depending on the serving size and let someone take the leftovers home. I also get my own serving of cucumber/tomato/onion (kachumber) salad (sometimes 2 servings if they are teeny tiny ones) and skip the rice – I have 1/2 of a wholemeal paratha bread instead and ask them not to put extra butter or ghee on anything. This way you have a few different things on your plate to enjoy and get protein, veggies and wholemeal starch.
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I was expecting something more bowel related based on the topic...
    :laugh: