Is running on the treadmill worth it?

Options
I run at 5mph for an hour a day. I'm just starting but my plan is to eventually work up to being able to run every day, 6 days a week. At this point I'm a bit embarrassed to go running in my neighborhood and my endurance isn't good. But a friend of mine said running on the treadmill isn't going to do nearly as much as running outside would. Is this true? Will I get in shape still if I run on the treadmill? I'm new to this, I have no idea what is considered "good exercise". I don't want to just lose weight, I want to get fit, stronger, and better! Any help?

Replies

• VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Pavement running will burn more because of the resistance you get from the road, but I love my treadmill too. You can definitely work up your endurance on a treadmill.
  • summergirl73
    summergirl73 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    your just starting so I would say it is a good start, Go with what feels good for you, YOU are the one who matters It certainly wont hurt.
  • wkrd
    wkrd Posts: 45
    Options
    If you do it consistently and also get your nutrition on track it will do wonders for you.
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    WOW...if you are just starting and can run at 5 MPH for an hour...that is IMPRESSIVE!! I don't care if it is on a treadmill, it is still very impressive. Way to go!
  • Alice_H
    Alice_H Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Any exercise you do is more exercise than the dude sitting on the couch.

Pavement running is a bit harder work, but if you're more comfortable in your home (to the point where the embarrassment might deter you from running on a low motivation day) then by all means, use your treadmill.
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Interesting topic, I'm new to running and have been doing it on a treadmill as well. I hope to be able to run outside once I build my endurance a little. I don't have a paticularly safe place to run where I live so the gym is my best option. Best of luck to you!
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your end goal is. Cardio in any form will burn calories. Personally, I find the treadmill deceptive. I can run 4 miles on the treadmill, but on pavement it's a feat for me to run 1.5 miles straight through. That being said, I always feel like I experience a good work out on the treadmill, but I notice muscle fatigue more on the road because of the pavement, etc.
  • NeeNeeD2
    Options
    I usually run on a treadmill but the most I can run is usually half a mile before i need to fast walk, re-catch my breath and then run again. I tried running outside a few weeks ago and I wore out much quicker...probably only made it 1/4 of a mile. That being said, after 2 and half months of working out on the treadmill 3-5 times a week but legs are now VERY toned.

I would suggest running every other day and give your legs a break. They need time to rebuild, especially since you are just starting out. I learned the hard way when I was going to the gym 5x a week and going on the treadmill everytime. Now I have backed off to going on the treadmill just 3x a week and doing aerobics on the other two days so that my legs don't get overworked.

Best of luck to you!
  • zpb0892
    Options
    I personally love running on the pavement. I feel that I get a better workout then when I run on the treadmill. However, as long as you are exercising is what matters most.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I'm also embarassed to run in my neighborhood. But... also embarassed to do this in the gym on a treadmill. For me, I think it's just fear of doing something new. Whatever gets you started, though.
  • Keleyjohnson
    Options
    My brother is a personal trainer and part of his exercise plan for me includes moderate continuous cardio and high intensity intervals....he is also a runner and uses treadmills a lot for prep and when weather permits him from running out doors. You may have more resistance from pavement running and wind but you run the risk of more ankle and knee injuries from the pounding, not to mention embarrassment, loose dogs and bad drivers that may run you down. I walk and run outdoors when I can because I love the scenery and fresh air and it seems easier and I end up covering a longer distance when I am outside, but early morning when the kids are getting ready for school I can hop on the treadmill and still bark orders from across the room. After dinner when its dark and late I can hop on and watch a TV show and I'm done. Both have benefits. Unless we are training for competitive marathons I think the difference in calories in not so much.
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I can do a lot longer on a treadmill...
    The problem with the pavement is the high impact on your shins,knees etc...
    I cannot run as long, not because of my cardio.... but simply because my legs can't support it anymore.

Still, for a cardio workout...Both are good.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Pavement running will burn more because of the resistance you get from the road, but I love my treadmill too. You can definitely work up your endurance on a treadmill.

Totally agree with this.

If you plan to do any races or anything like that, definitely get outside too...but there's nothing wrong with the treadmill. I run with groups twice a week outside, and do treadmill runs twice a week on my own...I get something different from each of those experiences.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    WOW...if you are just starting and can run at 5 MPH for an hour...that is IMPRESSIVE!! I don't care if it is on a treadmill, it is still very impressive. Way to go!

^^ THIS^^

You run for an hour? I find that hard!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If they have different treadmill models in the gym, note the claims on the side of them regarding shock absorbing.
    There may be some older models and newer ones claiming "The Absorber II", which would imply the older one is the absorber I before they numbered it.

There may be one with none. Don't jump right to it, you may regret it. Your pace will go higher, you'll think you are flying fast. And the pounding could take it's toll.

1 % incline is figured to match level outdoor running resistance. But use a hill routine and get variety, just like you would outside.

As to burning more calories, that really depends on your effort. If the less shock on treadmill allows you to run faster and farther and with higher HR, then you are burning more calories.

But 6 days a week? Hopefully those are not all out as fast as you can go runs. That is very counter productive, you'll never get better as fast as you could with some rest days, or at least walking days.
    It's the rest that allows your body to get better, stronger. It can't get that if you run everyday, at least not what it could get.
    You'll make slow painful progress, perhaps literally, if you do it wrong. You'll make great improvements to the body and performance if you do it right.
    If you are doing the Maffetone method, even he suggests not everyday, though it's not as injury prone.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    I'm most drawn to the bit where you said you're embarrassed to run outdoors. Shuck that fit.

You're running. You're a runner. Anyone not running is not even allowed to gaze upon your magnificence as you prowl across the savannah, lest you mistake them for prey.

The vast majority of people who will see you running will be proud of you. You may inspire someone, someone you don't even realize or may never meet.
  • LordBear
    LordBear Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    hate the tread with a passion.. it is so uncomfortable..i would rather do walking outside and not stare at a wall... how ever they are usefull when it is nasty out... u dont what u need to do.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    But a friend of mine said running on the treadmill isn't going to do nearly as much as running outside would. Is this true?
    No that's not true. It's virtually the same calorie burn and cardiovascular benefit.
    If you are training for a race you will want to spend at least some time running outdoors; otherwise do whatever is most convenient and fun for you.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I'm most drawn to the bit where you said you're embarrassed to run outdoors. Shuck that fit.

You're running. You're a runner. Anyone not running is not even allowed to gaze upon your magnificence as you prowl across the savannah, lest you mistake them for prey.

The vast majority of people who will see you running will be proud of you. You may inspire someone, someone you don't even realize or may never meet.

I love this! :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

:heart: this post.