Is running on the treadmill worth it?

Options

Replies

• ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I hate road running. I've run 5k's, 10k's and the like, but I still hate it. I always train on a treadmill. There is usually more calories to be lost running on the road, especially here in San Fran with all the hills, but you need to do what you WILL DO consistently. If that means running at 5mph on a treadmill, then do that.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I hate road running. I've run 5k's, 10k's and the like, but I still hate it. I always train on a treadmill. There is usually more calories to be lost running on the road, especially here in San Fran with all the hills, but you need to do what you WILL DO consistently. If that means running at 5mph on a treadmill, then do that.

Just curious, have you had any injuries with doing most of your training on a treadmill but then doing road races? I have a friend who severely injured himself because he did all his training for a half marathon on a treadmill...his first ever outside run was the day of our half marathon and he got a stress fracture. Personally, I like the treadmill a lot but try to do half road and half treadmill or track training...because I like to race. Well, rephrase that: I like to run in races. I don't exactly "race," 'cause I'm still pretty slow...
  • Elzecat
    Options
    If they have different treadmill models in the gym, note the claims on the side of them regarding shock absorbing.
    There may be some older models and newer ones claiming "The Absorber II", which would imply the older one is the absorber I before they numbered it.

There may be one with none. Don't jump right to it, you may regret it. Your pace will go higher, you'll think you are flying fast. And the pounding could take it's toll.

1 % incline is figured to match level outdoor running resistance. But use a hill routine and get variety, just like you would outside.

As to burning more calories, that really depends on your effort. If the less shock on treadmill allows you to run faster and farther and with higher HR, then you are burning more calories.

But 6 days a week? Hopefully those are not all out as fast as you can go runs. That is very counter productive, you'll never get better as fast as you could with some rest days, or at least walking days.
    It's the rest that allows your body to get better, stronger. It can't get that if you run everyday, at least not what it could get.
    You'll make slow painful progress, perhaps literally, if you do it wrong. You'll make great improvements to the body and performance if you do it right.
    If you are doing the Maffetone method, even he suggests not everyday, though it's not as injury prone.

I agree with him, I missed the part about you wanting to run every day. Rest days are valuable, especially when you're just starting out--if you run every other day you will give your body a chance to recover...and you can always just walk on those days...

Good luck!
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I've had issues with shinsplints in the past, but using good running shoes has stopped that. I haven't had any injuries by training the way I do. However, I only do 5ks/10ks, i'm not sure I could translate that training into a half marathon.
  • Toshiana123
    Options
    Outside is better to me, but do what's good for you. At least you're running...some people don't do that! ;0)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    it has it's merits. running on the pavement is MUCH harder but treadmill running will help. i think part of why it's harder is that the treadmill keeps you an unnatural stride and pace. i know for me i have a naturally longer stride that i can't get on the treadmill, so when i run outdoors i end up running faster even though keeping the same foot pace.

not sure if you get what i mean but i timed my half mile outdoors run today and it was at a 6+ MPH pace even though on the treadmill with my shorter stride i would have run it at a 5 or 5.2 mph pace
  • Elzecat
    Options
    it has it's merits. running on the pavement is MUCH harder but treadmill running will help. i think part of why it's harder is that the treadmill keeps you an unnatural stride and pace. i know for me i have a naturally longer stride that i can't get on the treadmill, so when i run outdoors i end up running faster even though keeping the same foot pace.

not sure if you get what i mean but i timed my half mile outdoors run today and it was at a 6+ MPH pace even though on the treadmill with my shorter stride i would have run it at a 5 or 5.2 mph pace

I totally get this! I can run at a faster pace...but I have more breathing issues when running outside--I think I have exercise-induced asthma which seems to be aggravated when I run outdoors...
  • Elzecat
    Options
    I've had issues with shinsplints in the past, but using good running shoes has stopped that. I haven't had any injuries by training the way I do. However, I only do 5ks/10ks, i'm not sure I could translate that training into a half marathon.

that's good to hear. I've managed to stay injury-free thus far in my running experience (1 1/2 years) but I run pretty slow...and I agree that good shoes definitely helps!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Just curious, have you had any injuries with doing most of your training on a treadmill but then doing road races? I have a friend who severely injured himself because he did all his training for a half marathon on a treadmill...his first ever outside run was the day of our half marathon and he got a stress fracture. Personally, I like the treadmill a lot but try to do half road and half treadmill or track training...because I like to race. Well, rephrase that: I like to run in races. I don't exactly "race," 'cause I'm still pretty slow...

Great balance suggestion.

I'd even say make the slower recovery runs on the road, the faster pounding ones on the treadmill.
    The only potential problem there is the slower is usually longer, which may negate that whole benefit.

And you are racing! Against your self.
  • MarlinWil
    MarlinWil Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I was housebound for a few months this year because of my little girl's ill health. The treadmill kick-started my weightloss journey, and gave me sanity in the midst of days where I thought I would go a little mad (well, madder than I alreay am, anyway!). I had my thyroid removed in February, and put weight on after that while I got my new meds right.

Now I combine running on the treadmill with running outdoors.

To start with, I found it a heap easier to run on the treadmill, but realise now that this was an emotional thing rather than a physical one. I was embarassed to run outside, and quite honestly didn't think I would be any good at it. I was convinced that pounding the pavement was more concussive than running on a treadmill, and that my legs and joints would suffer.

Once I started to run to school with my eldest daughter (she was on her bike, and my youngest was in the pram), I realised that it was actually much easier than I had thought it would be. I thank the months I spent on the treadmill for that. I always had speeds that would be what I thought was my limit on the TM, but outdoors, I was doing those distances much quicker. Funny. Without the speed and times there in front of me, I suddenly started to perform more efficiently.

Food for thought.

I also haven't had trouble with my legs or my joints since starting to run outdoors. I love where I live, it is safe to run here, and the bike path I use follows along the side of a conservation park and a lake, so it is super pretty. I make sure to stretch before and after my runs, and always allow a few minutes on either side of my run to warm up and cool down. Another thing that a friend of mine suggested is to use compression socks. I haven't, yet, but have read in various running mags that they are very beneficial, and do seem to reduce shin splints and any discomfort.

I still use my treadmill, but am 1,000x more confident and capable outdoors, now. I am sure that this will happen for you, too, but if not it doesn't matter. I am still a fan of the treadmill and say use it as often as you want. There are so many functions included in them to make them more challenging and great as a tool in weight loss. Try interval training, add inclines now and then, and just have fun. It DOES make a difference, and like others have said, it has to be an improvement on sitting on the couch!!

Wil
  • AnnACnd
    AnnACnd Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Treadmills def serve their purpose. Though running outside is better.
  • JosephVitte
    JosephVitte Posts: 2,039
    Options
    I dont know.............but I do it............
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    Depends my back isint the best so treadmill is kinder outside surface is too hard and could cause injury! Ive worked up to 5k so its all progress!
  • leftoverbun
    leftoverbun Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Have you tried running on grass? I go down to my local softball field and jog around the perimeter of the outfield. I don't have a treadmill and am too cheap to pony up for a gym membership. Pavement and cement are too tough on my knees, but I find that grass is cushiony enough to let me get 3-4 miles in before the aches start. I have been doing this 3x a week and the only issue has been the availability of the fields. Damn softballers, get off my track!
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options

That. If I could only run outside, I wouldn't run anywhere near as often. I do go outside every now and then for the challenge, but I don't enjoy it. A lot of times when I do it outside, my allergies act up or my shins start hurting. Also, I hate being out in the sun. I live in San Diego and hate the sun. Woe is me. :laugh:

When I started running, I had to keep my treadmill at a 2.5 incline or it would shut off. When I did my first 5k race, I was able to do it 5 minutes faster than i'd ever been able to do it on the treadmill. I'm fairly certain that was because of the incline I had to keep it at. So to answer your question, yes, I think it is.
  • jdforshort
    jdforshort Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I'm most drawn to the bit where you said you're embarrassed to run outdoors. Shuck that fit.

You're running. You're a runner. Anyone not running is not even allowed to gaze upon your magnificence as you prowl across the savannah, lest you mistake them for prey.

The vast majority of people who will see you running will be proud of you. You may inspire someone, someone you don't even realize or may never meet.

SPOT ON! Why would you be embarrassed? I walk long distance and intersperse it with very short spurts of jogging here and there. I pat myself verbally when I do that. Whenever I see other joggers/runners (fat or skinny, young or old) passing me by I always nod, say hello or acknowledge them. Everywhere I look, all I see is an approval for a fellow exerciser! So quit worrying, people are too busy with their own thought to pay much attention to others!

However, I did learn something from all the comments on this post that you do not burn as many calories on the treadmill as you would outdoor! I always thought it was the other way around! I used to hate walking/jogging on the treadmill, to me it seemed much harder, sweatier and boring (so I donated my treadmill 2 years ago)! But if you can do 5MPH on treadmill, outside would be a breeze, literally!
  • nabeelakram
    nabeelakram Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Running on a treadmill allows you to regulate your pace much better and you can build up on this steadily over the weeks. I personally though prefer cycling and started doing 3-4 miles a day and now am doing 15-20 miles with a once a week ride of around 35-40 miles.

Most importantly think of your end goal and don't worry about other people and what they think.

Good luck.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,717 Member
    Options
    I stopped running years ago after being plagued by injuries when I increased my weekly mileage. I have friends who swear by doing at least some of their mileage on the treadmill, because it reduces risk of injury. Joints get less of a pounding on the squishy surface.
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    All exercise is considered 'good' exercise to me! The treadmill is fine if that's where you feel comfortable... if you really want to get you heart pumping and the calories burning, have a look at 'interval training'. Endurance training is good if your goal is to be able to run for a certain amount of time or distance at a particular pace, but keep in mind your body will eventually get used to this and calories that you burn will be less and less over time. Keep your body guessing and burning lots of calories with occasional HIIT (high intensity interval training) too!
  • bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I trained for a half marathon on the treadmill because I could not get outside. Was able to finish that half with a decent time of 2:18 even with being sick for the two weeks prior. If you're asking if it'll burn calories, yes it will. If you're asking if you can be a decent runner for racing, yes you can. If you're looking to drop lbs, eating right is key and the running on the treadmill will totally help it along.

ETA: You get what you put into any workout. I love doing speed work on the treadmill because it forces me to hold a pace. I'm a hotmess after a speed workout on one.