Do you call it Dinner or Supper--or something else entirely?

Options
saschka7
saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
Just curious....What do you call the mid-day meal and what do you call the evening meal? Lunch? Dinner? Supper? Tea? Are there any exceptions? And what part of the world are you in?

I live in the northern US but my family is from the South.

To me, 'lunch' is the mid-day meal for every day but Sunday, when the mid-day meal is called 'dinner'.
If it's not a Sunday, then the evening meal is called 'dinner' and is interchangable with the designation 'supper'. The evening meal on Sunday is just 'supper'.

Someone told me this makes no sense--I pointed out that no one calls it 'Thanksgiving supper' or 'Christmas supper'--and those meals are always (at least in my experience) served between 12 noon and 3 PM.

I've just always been curious about social customs.

Replies

• SkyVetis
    Options
    Im in the North East of England and for us the mid day meal is lunch or dinner, tea is the main meal(e.g. between 4 and 6) and supper a later meal in the evening after 7/8 usually.
  • selfsmarted
    Options
    It depends if its dinner 1 or dinner 2. lol im bulking
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    supper at home, dinner at a restaurant.
  • Scottish_charlene_84
    Options
    Breakfast....lunch....dinner....supper. In that order :)
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Breakfast,lunch, & supper.
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Dinner! I hate the word supper
  • fullofsmiles04
    fullofsmiles04 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm with bella. It's definitely dinner to me. I hate the word supper!!!
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    My best friend and her family all refer to lunch as "dinner" and it always confused me, haha.
  • dan95130
    dan95130 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Just curious....What do you call the mid-day meal and what do you call the evening meal? Lunch? Dinner? Supper? Tea? Are there any exceptions? And what part of the world are you in?

I live in the northern US but my family is from the South.

To me, 'lunch' is the mid-day meal for every day but Sunday, when the mid-day meal is called 'dinner'.
    If it's not a Sunday, then the evening meal is called 'dinner' and is interchangable with the designation 'supper'. The evening meal on Sunday is just 'supper'.

Someone told me this makes no sense--I pointed out that no one calls it 'Thanksgiving supper' or 'Christmas supper'--and those meals are always (at least in my experience) served between 12 noon and 3 PM.

I've just always been curious about social customs.

These are the meal names I grew up with. It does seem to cause confusion so now I stick to lunch and dinner.
    One added thought, growing up I hated sunday dinner because that meant we were only getting two meals that day. I'd be hungry half the day.
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Dinner and supper are "sort of " interchangeable to me except supper is always a later meal. Dinner I think of as a mid-day to late afternoon meal and I think of supper as something later. This may be because Thanksgiving, Easter, Christmas, holiday meals are always called "dinner" and usually around 2p at my house.

During the week and weekend midday meal is called lunch if it's informal and dinner if I've done some real cooking and we have people over.
  • KerrieJane86
    KerrieJane86 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    1st meal = Breakfast
    2nd meal = Dinner (some times Lunch)
    3rd meal = Supper

:) It can get confusing when you ask someone to go eat with you and they call a meal by a different name.
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I'm with bella. It's definitely dinner to me. I hate the word supper!!!

Me too! Growing up, that's what my parents called it and I hated it. It is most definitely dinner.
  • writemusic4him
    writemusic4him Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Growing up: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
    My mom growing up (German immigrants): Breakfast, Dinner, Supper

I get confused every time I visit that side of the family :)
  • ThePersnicketyOtter
    ThePersnicketyOtter Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Food. :P

No, but really. Morning, breakfast. Midday, lunch. Evening, either, but mostly just "food"
  • acuratlsd
    acuratlsd Posts: 228
    Options

No worries I am right there with you. My family is from Michigan and I am here in North Carolina. Trust me there are a few phases and words they use up there that confuse me....

The big one is they will say the whole word out "Soda Pop" we just call it Soda here.

My parents never really referred it. I think they mentioned it as 6-9 Breakfast 9-12 Brunch 11-1 Lunch 3-5 Early Dinner 5-7 Dinner 7-9 Late Dinner

Usually when I was younger they just say "Come get your damn food, its ready!"
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I was brought up that it is 'dinner' except on Sunday when it was "supper" and more like a Big, Later Lunch.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I'm from Kentucky and I say lunch for noontime and dinner for the evening meal. My family says dinner at noon and supper at evening. So we are always confused when someone says let's go out for dinner! LOL
  • acuratlsd
    acuratlsd Posts: 228
    Options
    I'm from Kentucky and I say lunch for noontime and dinner for the evening meal. My family says dinner at noon and supper at evening. So we are always confused when someone says let's go out for dinner! LOL

How we know is... If we just got up.. Its Breakfast.... It its still Daylight, its Lunch, if the sun is going down or has went down, its dinner....
  • madelonism
    madelonism Posts: 292 Member
    Options

No worries I am right there with you. My family is from Michigan and I am here in North Carolina. Trust me there are a few phases and words they use up there that confuse me....

The big one is they will say the whole word out "Soda Pop" we just call it Soda here.

My parents never really referred it. I think they mentioned it as 6-9 Breakfast 9-12 Brunch 11-1 Lunch 3-5 Early Dinner 5-7 Dinner 7-9 Late Dinner

Usually when I was younger they just say "Come get your damn food, its ready!"

my cousin from California was always so confused when i said "pop" he says soda and thought i ment popcorn lol. im from oregon.
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    breakfast, lunch , Dinner or supper (both can be used) I use dinner here on the website but I say supper when i talk lol