Dieting for Fat Loss/Training for Endurance and Strength

So... just curious about your personal experiences/opinions because I've never really been a fan of the MFP kool-aid where everyone tells you to eat back your exercise calories because i don't think the calculations are accurate or that it takes into account the metabolic difference among individuals, etc.

Background information - I've probably lost around 60 pounds since I decided to get healthy again, coming off a broken tailbone and general awful life circumstances which caused me to gain 40 on top of the 20 I already had hanging around. That was around 2.5 years ago. I have not lost any weight in the past year. I train pretty intensely, 6-7 days a week, 1-2 hours a day. Currently, I am finishing off training for a half marathon that I intend to finish in under two hours. In that, I run around 20 miles a week at a pretty fast clip (7.5-8mph), cross train on elliptical twice a week for a total of 60 minutes or 6 miles, lift heavy weights four days a week in splits of back/biceps, chest/triceps, legs/glutes, shoulders/abs. The weights take anywhere between 60-90 minutes a day and i change up the routines weekly (exercises/weights/sets/reps) to keep my body guessing. I would consider myself an advanced lifter, though know there is always room for improvement. I maxed out at around 205 for deadlifts, 220 for squats, curling 35lbs in each arm, benching around 105 (i've had surgery on my chest muscles, so they are relatively weak), etc. I backed off of max weights about five months ago to try and drop weight for races, since those muscles weigh a lot and slow me down on long runs. I know that being really fast and being really strong are diametrically opposed and work against one another, but I am still determined to have the best of both worlds, so stfu ;) I also do jumps/planks/balanced bodyweight exercise to keep my stabilizing muscles strong.

Current stats, I am 31, 5'5, 153lbs and between 24-25% body fat. I would like to be at 140 and well muscled, but my goal right now is to get to 145. Ideally, I could get my body fat to around 19%.

I try to eat around 1500 calories a day but it is usually more like 1600-1700. all of the calculators i see say i should be eating more around 2000. I've done 1800 before and gained muscle, but didn't really lose any fat. it's hard for me to commit to eating that much on a diet, but i am also curious because it seems like half of the girls i know shoot for around 1200 and the other half eat around 1800 on a regular basis and the majority are leaner than me.

My diet is generally light on gluten and processed foods - I do supplement with protein powder, but as a general rule, I eat plants, meat, limited grains in their basic form, some legumes, healthy oils/fats in moderation. I do love to drink, but i only do so if I have the calories available. Plus I've given it up completely in the past for 4+ weeks at a time and didn't see much of a difference. I try to keep my macros at 40/40/20, but realistically they end up being more like 30/40/30 (p/c/f) The best success I ever had was cutting all gluten, dairy, oats, soy, alcohol but it was difficult to get enough protein to fuel my muscle growth and enough simple carbs to fuel my endurance work so my athleticism stalled although i lost some weight.

Oh and yes I've worn a heart rate monitor in the past - I have a quicker than average heart so it always had me burning 25% more than it would have most people burning. And I've had the RMR breath metabolic testing done, which indicated that I had a very high metabolic rate, could maintain at between 2275-2956 calories a day and that i was burning 3240 calories a day. As someone who's always been chubby and always struggled to stay trim, I seriously doubt that these numbers are in any way accurate. Science is not on my side.

what do you think?

Replies

• Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Bump :)
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    I think you know much more than I do about all this, so I'd like to just say good luck and you are awesome.
  • marynificent
    marynificent Posts: 110 Member
    hmmm no one? ok let me clarify!

BOOBS!

ok who has an opinion about that!! ;)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member

BOOBS!

Ok I'll read the original post now. One moment.
  • SideSteel
    What are you using to determine your bodyfat% currently?
    What are your macros in grams, roughly (kcal/p/f/c)

In the grand scale of OCDness, how neurotic are you about measuring and weighing everything you consume? Do you estimate certain food items? Do you estimate all of it? None of it?

When was the last time you've taken a diet break?
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member

BOOBS!

We need pics to assess the situation properly and give the right advice. Thanks.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    What was your RMR?
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Bump
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member

In the grand scale of OCDness, how neurotic are you about measuring and weighing everything you consume? Do you estimate certain food items? Do you estimate all of it? None of it?

Going down the same route as SS here.

I wonder if post diet break if youd benefit better from cyclical dieting and at least 2-3 rest days with mild cardio(walking) on said rest days.
    Needing time to recover and all.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    PS: you look Fan****ingTastic!
  • marynificent

Thanks for responding. A typical day for me looks like this - note that i've been eating more carbs lately to fuel the long runs and I also eat a ton of fiber. On this day, I did a 15 min warm up, 5 mile run @7.5mph, back and biceps in the weight room for a little over an hour, and a 3 mile walk after dinner @4mph. estimated burn would be 900-1000 calories.
    calories consumed: 1,781/133 protein/190 carbs/47 fat/34 fiber

I have a food scale and weigh everything dry, plus I trained as a chef and keep all sorts of measuring cups/spoons/etc nearby. I'm probably more neurotic that most, but not a complete nut. If it is calorie dense, I absolutely measure it. For items like raw spinach, probably not. Also, I cook everything from scratch, so while i measure the ingredients, I portion by eye not weight, but since I am the one eating it, I figure it evens out in the end.

BF % - I have both a BF scale which I consider to be wildly inaccurate on the low side since it is only measuring my very muscular legs and an omron handheld, which is consistent though perhaps not 100% accurate. I've had calipers which tested me lower but I didn't really buy that measurement based on how I look, so I go with the omron for now. I am going in for a DEXA scan soon.

Diet break? probably a few weeks ago. I'm not super strict right now after months of being super strict with little results had me pissed off and frantic. I think that I look good and I don't want to make myself miserable, but I would like to be leaner and am very curious about how I can accomplish that, short of eating only chicken breasts and tilapia.

Thanks again!
  • SideSteel
    Diet break? probably a few weeks ago. I'm not super strict right now after months of being super strict

Can you elaborate on the above?

Did you take a week or two at maintenance?

Also, what do you mean by you are not super strict right now after months of being super strict?

What is different now?
  • marynificent
    What was your RMR?

Measured at 2275. Perhaps I had too much coffee that morning - I don't really buy it. You can see it here: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7032/6843018827_786822c7ff_b.jpg
  • mamatafari
    mamatafari Posts: 34 Member
    How about just eliminating the meat? Go strictly raw/vegan. Try to eat TONS of greens during the day. Juice the kale with some apples and carrots. Kale Salad. Collard green wraps. Some nuts/seeds.
    Why do you have that specific goal? Because your profile pic looks awesomely strong!
  • Sarauk2sf
    How about just eliminating the meat? Go strictly raw/vegan. Try to eat TONS of greens during the day. Juice the kale with some apples and carrots. Kale Salad. Collard green wraps. Some nuts/seeds.
    Why do you have that specific goal? Because your profile pic looks awesomely strong!

Why?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    estimated burn would be 900-1000 calories.

Eat more! Make sure you net AT LEAST 1200, probably closer to 15-1700.
  • Sarauk2sf
    What was your RMR?

Measured at 2275. Perhaps I had too much coffee that morning - I don't really buy it. You can see it here: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7032/6843018827_786822c7ff_b.jpg

That is incredibly high for your size. Did they give you any indication as to why it was that high? I would be dubious too.
  • marynificent
    Diet break? probably a few weeks ago. I'm not super strict right now after months of being super strict

Can you elaborate on the above?

Did you take a week or two at maintenance?

Also, what do you mean by you are not super strict right now after months of being super strict?

What is different now?

Sure.

Yes, meaning I didn't count calories and didn't really gain. Since I don't know exactly what loss calories and maintenance calories are for me, I just eat by feel and watch the scale.

Like I'm not beating myself up for having a few beers (i count the calories though) and I'm not eating 100% clean. Sometimes I have toast or tortilla chips. Plus I eat dairy now, although mostly low fat/no fat things like light greek yogurt, FF cheese, etc. I don't drink milk. For me, super strict means green veggies, white meat, occasional sweet potato and fruit. I would like to cut out dairy again but the brown rice protein powder is straight nasty! Plus I like yogurt :)
  • marynificent
    What was your RMR?

That is incredibly high for your size. Did they give you any indication as to why it was that high? I would be dubious too.

I've got a fast heart and probably oxygenate differently than most people. It's really annoying because people hear I've got a RHR of 80 and think I am really out of shape. I am up in the 190s while sprinting and go over "max" all of the time. I'm just made strangely.
  • marynificent
    estimated burn would be 900-1000 calories.

Eat more! Make sure you net AT LEAST 1200, probably closer to 15-1700.

right well the whole "net" thing doesn't work when the algorithms are not taking into consideration fluctuations in metabolic processes between individuals.