Tuna ideas

Options
I am a fanatic over Tuna and could eat it until it comes out my ears :tongue: what are some quick ideas for tuna that I could throw together for lunch at work?

Replies

• pbenison
    pbenison Posts: 102
    Options
    I like tuna too, and also am having trouble finding ways to eat it. Right now I eat it on toasted wheat mixed with a serving a mayo (am still working on a low cal variety of mayo to purchase). I usually eat Nabisco hint of salt Wheat Thins as a low sodium alternative side to potato chips. Good luck.
  • allyson2212
    Options
    I guess were talking canned tuna? I cant help you there, Im not a huge fan! But I love tuna steaks, brushed with olive oil, with a little salt and pepper and then grilled... yum!!! Its a little more pricey, but I highly recommend it for special nights!
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    You can mix tuna with whole grain pasta and add some veggies and a little olive oil, I love toasted tuna sandwiches with onion and a little miracle whip light, tuna mixed with a little lemon juice and pepper with crackers/toast.
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    My most favorite lunchtime meal is TUNA! A fantastic lunch is 1/2 a fuji apple (cuz they are a little sweeter than any other variety in my opinion), a large stalk of celery - both cut in bite size chunks & top with tuna (I use the Healthy Selection in the pouch cuz it's sooo easy).

Very filling. A great taste...(great taste, less filling - sounds like a beer commercial!)

Enjoy!
  • ColoradoGirl
    ColoradoGirl Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I love it with chopped up avocado instead of may.. creamy and yummy with the good fats instead of the bad!
  • lucky1ns
    lucky1ns Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I like it in a salad with really cold beets and lo fat ceasar.

Delish!
  • jules1984
    jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I like tuna too, and also am having trouble finding ways to eat it. Right now I eat it on toasted wheat mixed with a serving a mayo (am still working on a low cal variety of mayo to purchase). I usually eat Nabisco hint of salt Wheat Thins as a low sodium alternative side to potato chips. Good luck.

I really like just regular old helman's light mayo. 35 cal a serving. Normally I hate sweet pickles but sweet pickle relish is perfect with tuna and mayo. If you're looking for less calories than a sandwhich try throwing it in a scooped out tomato. I think it tastes great.

Also I'll mix it with some low fat balsamic and throw it on lettuce for a great salad. Thanks for reminding me about tuna I was thinking about needing something light with protein right now and this sounds more appealing than egg whites.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I mix a can of tuna with 1/4 cup of egg whites, sometimes I'll add some green onion or artichoke heart (cut-up), then you cook it like a pancake. It will be a little watery when you put it in the pan at first, but it cooks up pretty good. :smile:
  • Jennwith2ns
    Jennwith2ns Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    'Tuna Melt" - Make a sandwich of the tuna mixed w/light mayo, a slice of fat-free cheese and slices of tomato, then pop it in the toaster oven. It's so good! I believe mine was around 200 calories.
  • pbenison
    pbenison Posts: 102
    Options

I really like just regular old helman's light mayo. 35 cal a serving. Normally I hate sweet pickles but sweet pickle relish is perfect with tuna and mayo. If you're looking for less calories than a sandwhich try throwing it in a scooped out tomato. I think it tastes great.

Also I'll mix it with some low fat balsamic and throw it on lettuce for a great salad. Thanks for reminding me about tuna I was thinking about needing something light with protein right now and this sounds more appealing than egg whites.

Thanks for the info about the mayonaise! I was sooo confused about what is the best kind. I must have stood in that aisle for about 15 minutes the other day and walked away with nothing!!
  • rinren84
    rinren84 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I like tuna and some white beans on a salad. I would use the tuna from the pouch, it just tastes better. And then whatever dressing floats your boat, but I really like it with balsamic or italian or just a lemon/oil combo if I've at home.
  • ema21043
    Options
    I can eat tuna salad every day for lunch. I will make this up on Sunday and have it all week. This is a bit of a different take on your usual tuna with mayo but very tasty.

2-3 cans of tuna
    4 oz fat free cream cheese - softened
    Diced Onions - put in as much or as little as you want
    Diced Green Pepper, again to your taste = some times i leave this out if i don't have any on hand
    1-2 Teaspoons Fat Free Catalina or French Dressing

Stir all ingredients together until well mixed.

It is nice on bread, melba toast, crackers or sometimes i use it like a dip with pretzels.

Hope you enjoy.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options

Thanks for the info about the mayonaise! I was sooo confused about what is the best kind. I must have stood in that aisle for about 15 minutes the other day and walked away with nothing!!

I found out recently that I have an egg allergy, so no more mayonaise for me! I have found a product called veganaise at the health food store that is made with no eggs. I absolutely love it! It's still high in calories and fat, but it's good for you fats. I have no idea how they make it (although the label says made with solar power-hee hee), but it's yummy. Since I also have a dairy allergy, I've found mixing a little of the veganaise with some plain soy yogurt and a little seasoning makes a delish veggie dip.

Before I found out about the allergies though, I was generally getting the low fat or fat free Hellman's mayo. It was good too.
  • MissViki
    Options
    I love tuna, my suggestion is to go to www.sparkrecipe.com and look at their recipes. You can find the entire nutritional breakdown OR plug in your own recipes and it will calculate it for you. :)
  • amberc1982
    amberc1982 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I love tuna. I haven't had any in the house to make any lately but YUM. My favorite thing to do with a can of tuna is mix it with some scallions and celery and a little bit of light mayo and put it on a tosted 100 calorie english muffin.
  • canadagirl79
    Options
    i was deciding what my night time snack would be when I watch The Bachelor tonight, and I decided it will be a piece of whole wheat toast with a little mayo (green and red pepper mixed in) and prob. 2 slices of tomato on top...and i still come within my cals for the day..YAY ME :happy:
  • alwaysenl
    alwaysenl Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    My most favorite lunchtime meal is TUNA! A fantastic lunch is 1/2 a fuji apple (cuz they are a little sweeter than any other variety in my opinion), a large stalk of celery - both cut in bite size chunks & top with tuna (I use the Healthy Selection in the pouch cuz it's sooo easy).

Very filling. A great taste...(great taste, less filling - sounds like a beer commercial!)

Enjoy!

That sounds really yummy! I'm going to make this tonight to bring to work tomorrow for lunch. Thanks! I'm getting sick of salad for lunch everyday :)
  • 2kidzlater
    2kidzlater Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Tuna Nicoise Salad
    So many different ways to make. Either fresh Tuna or Seared Tuna.
    Tuna
    red potatoes boiled
    Hard boiled eggs
    Green Beans
    Olives
    Red onion
    Cherry tomatoes
    Boston lettuce
    your favorite dressing

Tuna made with your favorite salsa
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Ok, this isn't exactly quick, but it sure looks good! My aunt just gave me this recipe for Spinach Tuna Casserole http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Makeover-Spinach-Tuna-Casserole
  • shiloh25
    Options
    I absolutely love this and it's simple... for lunch.

I use...
    1 chunk light or albacore tuna pouch 80 cal.
    1 lbs. mayo. 90 cal.
    1 lbs. mild pace salsa (or fresh) 5 cal.
    1 dash of pepper..
    mix!

1 serving of white corn low cal. tortilla chips (15 chips) 100 cal.

Scoop!Dip!Eat! ...Delicious!! total cal= 275 calories with 18 grams of protein!!
    Very filling too.