Tuna ideas

Options
2»

Replies

• toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love this and it's simple... for lunch.

I use...
    1 chunk light or albacore tuna pouch 80 cal.
    1 lbs. mayo. 90 cal.
    1 lbs. mild pace salsa (or fresh) 5 cal.
    1 dash of pepper..
    mix!

1 serving of white corn low cal. tortilla chips (15 chips) 100 cal.

Scoop!Dip!Eat! ...Delicious!! total cal= 275 calories with 18 grams of protein!!
    Very filling too.

I'm assuming you mean 1 TBSP of salsa or mayo, not 1 POUND! :laugh:

I've found that I like mixing tuna with fat free plain yogurt...I thought it was going to taste weird, but you can hardly tell the difference between that and mayo! :smile:
  • MissVitaVonCherry
    MissVitaVonCherry Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I like tuna with lemon juice and pepper:) and a slice of toast or a cracker
  • whallett
    Options
    I heard on some show years ago that canned tuna and barbeque sauce makes a great pulled pork alternative. The sauce isn't great but you get the protein without the mayo problems. It is much better if you microwave it.
  • alwaysenl
    alwaysenl Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    With tuna I now use Smart Beat Mayonnaise. It has only 10 calories per TBSP and it is fat free! It taste just like regular mayo to me, it is great. I chop up some celery and onion and bell peppers if I have any and throw it all in a multi-grain tortilla with some baby spinach or lettuce and it's so good! Had this for lunch today :)
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Did you like it? I love, love, love this! I can eat it everyday - so much so that my co-workers laugh at me!:blushing:
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    The other night I made a really low-cal tuna noodle casserole.

1 can tuna
    1 Tbsp reduced fat Vegannaise
    1 Tbsp dijon mustard
    some diced green onion, diced celery, and slivered olives
    1 package Shirataki noodles
    1 Tbsp grated parmesan
    1 Tbsp bread crumbs

Mix the tuna, mayo, mustard, and vegetables together
    Rinse the noodles and fry until hot (they don't seem to cook, just get warm - it was my first time using them)
    Mix the noodles and tuna salad in a small baking dish
    Sprinkle with parmesan and bread crumbs
    Broil for a couplefew minutes

This makes two servings. The Vegan mayo has 85 cal per Tbsp and the noodles have zero calories (for the plain shirataki, not the tofu shirataki..those have @20 cal per serving).
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I mix a can of tuna with 1/4 cup of egg whites, sometimes I'll add some green onion or artichoke heart (cut-up), then you cook it like a pancake. It will be a little watery when you put it in the pan at first, but it cooks up pretty good. :smile:
    I just made this with artichoke and egg beaters to eat for my afternoon snack tomorrow. I'll let you know how I like it. Tuna artichoke pancake...sounds very interesting!
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I mix a can of tuna with 1/4 cup of egg whites, sometimes I'll add some green onion or artichoke heart (cut-up), then you cook it like a pancake. It will be a little watery when you put it in the pan at first, but it cooks up pretty good. :smile:
    I just made this with artichoke and egg beaters to eat for my afternoon snack tomorrow. I'll let you know how I like it. Tuna artichoke pancake...sounds very interesting!

Ok so I made this tuna/artichoke pancake/frittata and I really like it. I paired it with multi-grain pringles. yum! Thanks for the idea!!
  • rgordon60
    rgordon60 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Still interested in ideas for Tuna? Mix it with a variety of your favorite vegetables: broccoli, cucumber, celery, tomatoes, red cabbage, cauliflower, etc. and a little light mayo. You can do the same with canned salmon. Season with a little garlic powder, dill, fresh parsley. Experiment until you find a combination of vegetables and spices you like. It is delicious.:smile::smile:
  • robbieJ
    Options
    I tried a heart healthy recipe for tuna with shredded romaine & carrots. chopped cucumbers, and fat free ranch on a whole grain tortilla. It was pretty good.
  • karleen
    karleen Posts: 260
    Options
    someone's prob said this already but i lllllove tuna melts. i make em with whole wheat english muffin, a can of tuna mixed with a litttttle mayo, slice of tomato on each half and 1 slice of cheese ripped in half [a half slice for each side of the english muffin]

i don't put them together like a sandwich, i like having the two separate half's way better
  • cashmandue
    cashmandue Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I do tuna melts using those large portabello mushrooms in place of any bread. Basic recipe:

4-5 large portabello mushrooms
    Spoon out "gills", using Olive Oil Spray, spray top of mushrooms. Place top down and broil @ 475 for about 10 minutes

In bowl combine:
    1 can alabacore tuna in water, drained
    1 tsp olive oil
    1 tps lemon juice (or balsamic vinegar)
    1 stalk celery chopped
    1/2 onion chopped
    1/2 c fresh parsley finely chopped
    ***substitute anything in the mix - I love the idea above of artichoke hearts, etc. I have used capers, olives, as well as using no olive oil, but adding a couple of tablespoons of Greek nonfat plain yogurt to give it some "zing" in place of mayo
    Any herbs, spices you like - I also add a dash of ground cayenne

Remove mushrooms from oven and cool slightly
    Stuff each mushroom w/tuna filling
    Top with one each Alpine Lace Reduce Fat thin slice Swiss
    Broil for additional 2 minutes
    Top with sliced tomato and lettuce or add lettuce on side
    Personally, 2 of these fill me up.
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    lately I've been making canned tuna and/or canned salmon salad substituting cottage cheese for mayo and then tossing in what ever other veggies I feel like using. I also add some wasabi paste cuz I like it spicy,( but beware using too much!). Sometimes at mealtime I'll stir in about a third of an avocado in to get it creamier. I don't put all the avo in at once because I'm single and one recipe lasts me longer than the avos last if all stirred in at the beginning. One serving of this eaten with one serving of baked pita chips is a satisfying meal and even with the avo doesn't shovel too many calories into one meal.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    bumping for later.