Dog owners:what kind of food do you buy?

Options

Replies

• fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Costco Nature's Domain. It gets reviews as high as the expensive pet store brands. I used to by Fromm dog food. It was great food, but very expensive. Nature's Domain had a similar rating, but at a fraction of the price. My dogs seem to really like it and I can switch between the Turkey and Salmon to keep them interested.
    Yes, CostCo's Nature Domain brands seem 'tasty'.....according to my Malamute......Fromm is similar to Solid Gold from what I remember
  • randysbombshellgirl
    randysbombshellgirl Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    My little rat terrier has bad allergies I've been feeding him buffalo blue wilderness and it resly helps. It's pretty expensive but a large bag last about 2 months. Good luck I know what it's like having a "special needs" dog.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    We alternate between Orijen and Taste of the Wild dry food mixed with a small amount of Merrick canned food.

Our dog eats better than we do =( We spoil him lol.
  • jcoco
    jcoco Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I give our lab 1 fish oil tablet daily, helps with her dry skin & makes her coat shiny!
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Mine get Blue Buffalo. its a little on the pricey side but well worth it. Less shedding on a Husky is a blessing. They also get chicken, brown rice and veggies twice a week.

If they are getting dry itchy skin with the weather changes try adding a little fish oil to their food
  • DisneyMommy
    Options
    I have two lab mixes and they both eat Blue Buffalo. Only different kinds since one has a sensitive stomach so he gets the Basics and my other dog gets the normal one.
  • Williamj
    Williamj Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Castor and Pollux Organix

My rescue has serious stomach problems and Castor and Pollux seems to be very kind to her.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    My dog started to have skin issues, infected anal glands, chronic ear infections. Turned out he was allergic to chicken. He's on Duck & Sweet Potato now, fur is shiny again, no ear infections and no more anal gland issues.
  • lesleypajles
    Options
    33342.jpg

Made from high quality ingredients, including a minimum of 28% Lamb and 30% brown rice, Wainwright's Adult Complete Dog Food is hypo-allergenic and suitable for adult dogs aged 1 - 7 years. £38 a bag but works out cheaper than what we used to feed her the same old food would cost £64 - £80 a month
  • prairiedawg2014
    Options
    i have a shizhu and a shizhu / bichon. my shizhu has skin problems too.....she scratches all the time. vet put her on a steroid and that really helps. tried all kinds of different foods but my dogs are very finicky eaters. now i mix canned dog food (Lean Cuts) with cooked cut up chicken breasts and they love it!! they been eating this for almost a year now. i sometimes for a change give them ground cooked turkey or ground chicken in their canned food for a change.
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    We feed our baby girl Orijen and she gets complimented on her beautiful shiny coat all the time!
  • randysbombshellgirl
    randysbombshellgirl Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I lost my best buddy a month ago...Petie...he was a rat terrier and he was 12 years old. The vet told me his kidneys completely shut down... she asked what I was feeding him and I told her Kibbles and Bits...she had a fit..... that is probably what made his kidneys shut down...it is grain filled and high carb.....lots of grains......

I miss him so bad, please do some research and stop feeding your dog crap filled with grains.....

you will have to spend a little more money on their food but let me ask you, is the dog worth it...if i could have my Petie back I would feed him filet mignon everyday.....

dont feed your dog grain based food.....
    I'm so sorry for you loss it is so hard I know. I lost my toy fox after 18 years I still miss him every day. We opened our heart to a rat terrier and live him dearly. I hope time will make it a little easier. On the subject of food you make a really great point the less grain the better.
  • guacamole17
    guacamole17 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    We have three large-ish dogs, and we feed one of Wellness kinds right now. We order from Amazon and get a discount for having a monthly delivery, which is AWESOME. They get an raw egg and shell once or twice a week, raw veggies, chicken trimmings, etc. We also give them Kong toys stuffed with nonfat yogurt, shredded apple, canned pumpkin, and a touch of PB (about 1/4th cup total then frozen to make it last longer) once everyday or two. Boy do they LOVE that.
  • LMick1986
    LMick1986 Posts: 431
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses, they have been really helpful. So as a general rule should I look for food that has meat as the 1st ingredient? I think I will aso try cooking some eggs and mixing it in with her food. To clarify the skin problems she is having is just really dry skin. She has been having really bad dandriff (and she has a black coat so it is really noticable)

Yes, you want food with the first ingredient being meat. I would suggest salmon for skin care...as it has the oils. Think of what salmon does to our skin. I think it's the Omega-3s. Really good stuff. I'm a big fan of Rachel Ray's dog food line (thought I don't know if she has a salmon one)!! It's about 20 bucks for a 10lb bag, so it's definitely not expensive and you can find it at the grocery store....and it's meat as the first ingredient! The pups love it! My dog used to have those same skin issues and I found this conditioning bath spray. It's called Miracle Coat with Tea Tree. Think of what Head and Shoulders does for people! Like that! I think I found it at Petsmart.
  • LMick1986
    LMick1986 Posts: 431
    Options
    i have a shizhu and a shizhu / bichon. my shizhu has skin problems too.....she scratches all the time. vet put her on a steroid and that really helps. tried all kinds of different foods but my dogs are very finicky eaters. now i mix canned dog food (Lean Cuts) with cooked cut up chicken breasts and they love it!! they been eating this for almost a year now. i sometimes for a change give them ground cooked turkey or ground chicken in their canned food for a change.

Have you ever have them tested for chicken allergies? I read up quite a bit, a long time ago, that a lot of dogs are allergic to chicken....which could cause the skin issues. Just a thought....probably totally unrelated.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Yes, Purina is a corn based food. Try moving to a brand that has more protein content. I have found that "4health" costs about the same, and is made with far better ingredients. :flowerforyou:

One Beyond has no corn. That's what sets it apart from other Purina products and makes it an affordable choice is corn is the issue. It totally worked for my two.

That's great! Its important to find something that works for the animal as an individual and that is cost effective for the owner/human companion. The brand I had mentioned earlier was recommended by the vet. and at only $1/lb (at the feed supply store) is a wonderful alternative to the typical brands found in most grocery stores.
  • makkman
    makkman Posts: 212
    Options
    Nat Science dry and Purina wet for taste
  • prairiedawg2014
    Options

Have you ever have them tested for chicken allergies? I read up quite a bit, a long time ago, that a lot of dogs are allergic to chicken....which could cause the skin issues. Just a thought....probably totally unrelated.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Great thread!! Thanks for all the info-
    I've tried so many different foods for my little westie and she gets sick to her stomach so often.
    Going to try some of these brands for her and see how she likes them.
  • prairiedawg2014
    Options
    don't know what i just did lol ( to LMick)
    i started giving them chicken a year ago....she already had the skin condition. with the steroids and the change to chicken in her diet she is 75% better. i know she has no allergy to chicken. the vet says its a seasonal and environmental allergy as she is fine all winter when there is snow on the ground......during the winter months she is off her meds.