Dog owners:what kind of food do you buy?

Options

Replies

• acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    NutriSource Grain-Free Lamb formula. My boy has ear infection issue and has a grain sensitivity that became a skin rash on his belly. Since switching his food, no ear infections and no rash.
  • tessa175
    tessa175 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I fed my dog vet reccomemded kibble for the first few months, but he would scratch like crazy and then get bored of it and not eat. I looked into the raw food diets but decided that even though I love my dog like a child, I just didnt have enough time to devote to this every week and to purchase raw food premade was really expensive. But then I found Honest Kitchen and what a differrence that made! It's a dehyrated fresh food diet made with human grade food, it's not considered raw because they use heat during the dehydrating process that cooks the meats but it's the closest I could get to the real thing. It's as easy to prepare as instant oatmeal and they have a few different varieties so you can choose what you want to feed your dog. fish, chicken, turkey, beef, grains, no grains etc... they even have one that's just a base so you can add your own protein source. My dog never scratches anymore, the vet says he's super healthy, and he practically begs for every meal. totally worth it for me!
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    My dog likes Organix, and his itching has almost completely stopped, but it's expensive. I do feed him veggies, tho, and he loves them, particularly carrots and collard greens!
  • wysmom2000
    wysmom2000 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Our dog (a Cockapoo) had terrible recurring ear infections for years. I ran into someone who suggested a raw food grain free diet. Just Google "raw food diet for dogs" and you'll find a lot of information. After a lot of research, I discovered that dogs do not have the enzyme to digest carbs, which is the main ingredient in most commercial dog food. Their bodies struggle to digest these carbs causing inflammation. I started him on a raw food diet about a year ago, supplementing with a quality grain-free commercial food in a pinch. It took about 3 weeks and his ear infections were gone! His energy was back and his eyes cleared (he always seemed to have a haze in his eyes). My dog does not get any corn, soy or wheat products. He eats raw meats, vegetables and fruit. We will also give him leftovers from our meals as long as it's not pasta or bread. I have actually found it to be cheaper to feed him this way than to buy the bagged dog food.
  • januarygal
    januarygal Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do don't give your dog the ********dried chicken or duck treats manufactured in China***********. There is a lot of concern that the processing of these products can cause kidney damage to dogs. And as someone who was treating my dogs with them, (they loved them) and spending $100's at the vet for kidney issues with my dog, we are not doing that anymore. Vet recommended putting her down, we persevered and though she lost so much weight she looks like a walking skeleton (ultra skinny greyhound) she is now eating again, gaining slowly, and has enough energy to walk around the block.
    She eats homemade dog food, with high quality moist food added. It costs more, but we are not ready to let her go and she still seem to want to keep going.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses, they have been really helpful. So as a general rule should I look for food that has meat as the 1st ingredient? I think I will aso try cooking some eggs and mixing it in with her food. To clarify the skin problems she is having is just really dry skin. She has been having really bad dandriff (and she has a black coat so it is really noticable)

You always want to look for meat as the first, if not the first two, ingredients. For skin issues, like dandruff or rashes, try eliminating as much filler as possible - like grains. Even rice, which is a grain, can cause issues. Salmon is good for skin issues too, but the better food you buy the fewer issues you'll have. Their coats will be softer and shinier and oily (yes, you want that), ears nice and pink, and fewer rashes, infections. Plus, they poop less.

Also, they'll eat less because better food has more calories. Think of it this way - I buy a bag of food that is about 50 bucks after taxes, it's a 30lb bag. That's about a 1.50 a lb. My dog eat 2-3 cups a day - that's it. So, on average, he's eating about 1.50-2.00 a day of dog food. We can't survive on 2.00 a day and stay healthy!

*I supplement, just FYI, with raw frozen carrot, raw frozen green beans, cheese, peanut butter, and I also have apple and yougurt bars (dog treats) that have very little grain in them, just so you think my boy isn't starving. 75lbs of lean, solid muscle. The healthiest dog I've ever had - because I'M choosing what he gets!
  • katie070563
    Options
    I swear by Royal Canine...I feed both my dogs on this. It may be expensive to buy, but it lasts ages, and I spend less now on the best food than I did when buying the cheaper sorts. Try Royal Canine club....I feed my German Shepherd on this, and a 20kg bag (lasts about three months) is around £30.00.
  • Fox_889
    Fox_889 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Purina One Lamb and Rice---Has Vit. E for the healthy coat and skin, glucosmine for joints, highly digestable. My German Shepherd never looked so good!
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    I have a bichon/maltese mix and feed him Wellness Small Breed. He loves it and it's significantly cleared up the tear-staining around his eyes. I also give him raw veggies (he LOVES lettuce and broccoli) and some fruit during the week. Sometimes he gets tuna and other meats as well.
  • lindseymruth
    lindseymruth Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have a Westie who has lots of allergies (mainly environmental) and I feed her Fromm. It is pretty expensive ($35 for 12lbs) but she is small and her allergies are completely unnoticeable now. I figure it is the only thing she gets to eat so I want it to be the best for her.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    My dog eats purina. No issues with it and my vet didn't have anything negative to say about it. It's what she feeds her dog.
  • redrdghood40
    redrdghood40 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I feed my dogs Deli Fresh. But they are small and don't eat much. It's kind of pricey. Frankie still gets some lesions now and then. They think it might be environmental. I'm trying to pay attention to grasses and blooms and to see if he gets them in the winter.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Avoderm lamb and rice. I started this when I had one dog with a weeping rash and another dog desperately sick from leishmaniasis. Avoderm is the first food I tried that both did well on. The sick dog did eventually die from her illness, but the other dog still gets Avoderm, and the only time she gets a rash is when I run out of food and pick up a small bag of something else because the store where I buy the Avoderm is closed, even when that something else is lamb and rice and supposedly a good food.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I feed my dog nutrience. It was what he was on when I bought him over 6 years ago and I've never changed. It's about 40$ for a 40 lbs bag.
  • apatheticLog
    apatheticLog Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    my dog too had skin problems and patchiness. flakes everywhere. i then switched her to Royal Canin. i cannot tell you how much of a difference it made. her hair is now beautiful and no patchiness anywhere!
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    BUMP for further reading.
  • Malozing0809
    Malozing0809 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses, they have been really helpful. So as a general rule should I look for food that has meat as the 1st ingredient? I think I will aso try cooking some eggs and mixing it in with her food. To clarify the skin problems she is having is just really dry skin. She has been having really bad dandriff (and she has a black coat so it is really noticable)
    Add a bit of flax seed oil or grounds in to her food will help
  • swopely
    swopely Posts: 28
    Options
    Chicken Soup For The Dog Lovers Soul. It's a natural and organic food and fairly low priced
  • hemigirl1
    hemigirl1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    We have around 4 going at any given time in the house...

RAW
    Acana Grain Free
    Kirkland Signature
    Nature's Domain Grain Free
  • Jimaudit
    Jimaudit Posts: 275
    Options
    10.3 y.o. Standard Schnauzer eats 2 cups of Neutro Science daily....healthiest dog I have ever owned!