How to burn 600 calories in under 10 minutes

Options
bathsheba_c
bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
Donate blood! Here are some facts about blood donation:

1. It takes approximately 600 calories for your body to replace the blood you lose while donating.
2. 5% of the population must donate once a year in order for a country to maintain adequate blood supplies.
3. Blood supplies tend to run especially low during holiday and vacation periods.
4. Although type-O is considered the universal donor, type AB is universal for plasma donations and is used when it is not possible to check blood type, for example, in premature babies and newborns.

Replies

• elrickis1337
    elrickis1337 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    does it have to be my blood??????
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    they take an entire armful!
  • bathsheba_c
    Options
    They don't take more than 10% of your total supply. :) The average woman has about 5 liters of blood, and one donation is under half a liter.
  • Metspride129
    Metspride129 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    i'd sell my blood...not donate....its MY blood......>:O
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    AWESOME TO KNOW!!! Next time I'll skip my workout and just donate blood :) They are always setting up camp next door to my work.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I'd love to but unfortunately I cannot because of the rules/laws. :(
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    They don't take more than 10% of your total supply. :) The average woman has about 5 liters of blood, and one donation is under half a liter.

I guess that was a cultural thing, it was from a comedy show here, never mind :flowerforyou:
  • TheRealJigsaw
    TheRealJigsaw Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    does it have to be my blood??????

LOL!
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Na thanks, i like it when my blood is IN my body, where it's supposed to be.
  • Hiccup90
    Hiccup90 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've donated before. I'm due to donate again soon.
    But I don't see why you need money for your blood.
    The way I see it, they need it and I could help save a life.
  • Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Donating blood is awesome, but as a caveat to the calorie burn, it doesn't happen in ten minutes. It actually happens spaced out in the time it takes for the body to regenerate that blood donated. This could take two days or up to several weeks. If/when you donate, I would not log those as calories burned. You want to be extra vigilant about getting your blood sugar back in order, so consume some amount of calories afterwards (usually your regularly scheduled next meal is fine) and drink a lot of water/fluids to help replenish your stores, but don't pig out on 600 calories worth of food, and especially not vitamin-lacking foods like the chips, cookies, and pizza offered in the donating van.
    Cheers,
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I cannot donate blood because I have an immune disorder. I have to do infusions that are made from plasma. So I just want to say thank you to all of you that donate blood.
  • fawndam
    fawndam Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Every chance I get!! Thanks for the info!
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Why not donate a kidney instead? They weigh anything up to ~170g. Instant weight loss!

Seriously though, of course I think people should, where possible, donate blood. It saves lives and that's an amazing thing to do, but I think there is something intrinsically wrong with donating blood in order to burn a few extra calories?!?

The world has gone mad.
  • Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 392 Member
    Options

Seriously though, of course I think people should, where possible, donate blood. It saves lives and that's an amazing thing to do, but I think there is something intrinsically wrong with donating blood in order to burn a few extra calories?!?

The world has gone mad.

I agree, I mean, I think that most people do go in because they want to do good, and burning calories is just an added benefit (just like working for Habitat for Humanity gets my workout in for the day). I posted my original reply to point out that the calorie burn isn't really a thing, but I think it is a very good lure for people who are able to donate blood and hesitant about it.
  • MrsGSR
    MrsGSR Posts: 88
    Options

If you needed blood would you expect to pay for it?
  • bathsheba_c
    Options

According to my country's Red Cross equivalent, they reason they don't pay for blood is because they don't want to give people an incentive to lie on the health forms.
    It was a joke, silly. :)
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I'd love to but unfortunately I cannot because of the rules/laws. :(

Ditto! I was placed on a permanent list in 2007 because of so much overseas travel, and the whole being in Germany when Chernobyl went down but it took them a little while to decide that was a bad thing since I had donated up until then so go figure...:grumble:
  • MrsGSR
    MrsGSR Posts: 88
    Options

According to my country's Red Cross equivalent, they reason they don't pay for blood is because they don't want to give people an incentive to lie on the health forms.

Yeah, I understand that, I don't think people should be paid to give blood, although I guess it might make more people donate. I just meant that it annoys me that people wont give blood, but I bet most would accept it if they needed it (if they were in a car crash and lost a lot of blood etc)
    I can't give blood as my blood pressure is too low (stupidly low lol) if I can get my BP up I willl donate, even if needles scare me!
  • MySunshine76
    Options
    I got a new tattoo in Feb. so i have to wait until Feb.2013 to donate again.

Personally, I think people tha don't donate are very selfish. When I donate I think about the people it could be helping, like someones mother or someones child. I don't understand why somebody wouldn't want to take about 30 min. out of their lives to save someones life. I gaurantee you, those same people would be quite upset if someone they loved needed blood but couldn't get it because nobody wanted to donate.

With questionairs and donation time, it only takes about 30 min.
    It only takes about 53 days to replenish what was taken.
    And for those who think they should get something out of it, other than the feeling you get from helping, they give you a dadgum drink and snack!

And to those who cannot donate, I am sorry. But it says alot about you that you DO want to.