How to burn 600 calories in under 10 minutes

Options

Replies

• FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    What do you have to weigh to donate? How firm are they the blood pressure? Mine is usually somewhere in the 90's/60's. I used to donate regularly, but I kept passing out and once injured myself doing so. I usually come very close to fainting from a quick blood test-I'm literally not sure I can physically do it anymore, but it's definitely a source of guilt.

I think the weight requirement used to be lower but was raised, is that true?

Also: register for bone marrow donation at Be the Match! Just about anyone can do that unless you have automimmune disorders or similar serious conditions.
  • Tricialew32
    Tricialew32 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    All presenting blood donors at participating Red Cross blood donor centers or blood drives from September 24 through October 22, 2012, can enter to win a trip to the set of The Walking Dead.

If you needed more incentive
  • lamoursuffit
    lamoursuffit Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I donate whenever I can! If I know I'm going to donate I make sure to eat a lot of iron rich foods the day before because my hgb is always low :( I'm pretty sure the people that get to stick me hate me because I also have really tiny, superficial veins haha. Hell if I had to draw that I'd probably hate them too! :laugh:
  • BelleHeart
    BelleHeart Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I don't unless I have to... guess I'm stuck with the elliptical =(
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I donate as often as I can.
    I was bummed when I was sick during the last blood drive at my son's school

My sister has Aplastic Anemia and needed daily blood and platelet transfusions...
    She also had a bone marrow transplant.

You never know who it will help :)
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    i'd sell my blood...not donate....its MY blood......>:O

Will a tangerine and a cup of tea suffice as adequate payment?
    That is what you get at my blood bank while you sit and get your strength back :).
  • ellenasl210
    ellenasl210 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I tried to but they said I was too small because they take the same amount of blood from everyone. It was a high school blood drive though, oh well.
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    How about donating for the sake of saving lives not burning calories?
  • a_mandolin_
    a_mandolin_ Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Why not donate a kidney instead? They weigh anything up to ~170g. Instant weight loss!

Seriously though, of course I think people should, where possible, donate blood. It saves lives and that's an amazing thing to do, but I think there is something intrinsically wrong with donating blood in order to burn a few extra calories?!?

The world has gone mad.
    Who cares the reason, a supposed calorie burn, a free cookie, whatever gets more people in!

On my last trip, I learned that states who regulate their tattooing facilities are now elligible to donate without a waiting period. So if that was keeping you back before, it won't anymore! (In Illinois, check with your own state for requirements, of course :))
  • CymruBiology
    Options
    It burns the calories in the period it takes to replenish the blood, so not in under 10 minutes.
    Also I can't donate blood because of my sexual orientation..:grumble:
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    I've tried to donate numerous times but they always end up unable to get a vein or get more than a few drops. Apparently I have some kinda crazy vein that move, runs, and refuses to pump.

I keep trying though but a girl can only get poked in the arm so many times.
  • moityrr
    moityrr Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    they take an entire armful!

Tony Hancock? The Blood Donor?
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    They won't take my blood, I've offered.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    This is a good reminder. I used to volunteer for the red cross, did that for about 10 years and was of course a regular donor. But as my health deteriorated, I was unable to volunteer or donate. Time to get back to it!
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I haven't donated since I graduated high school. They have blood drives twice a year there and it used to have a great turn out. I can't tell you how many people I tried to convince to donate and got the "it's MY blood and I want it in MY body."
    It's a small price to pay for saving 3 lives each time you donate.
    Thanks for the reminder because I need to make more of an effort to donate blood!
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    What do you have to weigh to donate?

110 lbs, I believe. This has been an issue for my daughter. She likes to donate, but her weight fluctuates between 105-112. She donated in July, but she lied about her weight. She told them she was 112 but she was around 106. They looked at her strangely and asked her if she was sure, but they didn't weigh her. Fortunately, she had no ill-effects from it.
  • sarahlucydaynes26
    Options
    Ok...

Donating blood does not take ten minutes - A simple blood test takes 2-3 minutes and that is only a table spoonful.

I have a rare blood disorder which I have regular ( sometimes weekly ) treatment for... 1ltr of blood comes out and it takes me personally 24 hours to recover although I do have epilepsy and other health issues.
    BUT I ADMIRE people who do give blood - they are simply amazing as like one person said here - you never know when a person may need it.

X
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

110 lbs, I believe. This has been an issue for my daughter. She likes to donate, but her weight fluctuates between 105-112. She donated in July, but she lied about her weight. She told them she was 112 but she was around 106. They looked at her strangely and asked her if she was sure, but they didn't weigh her. Fortunately, she had no ill-effects from it.

Thanks. I used to fib in high school when it was 105, but with the higher weights, I'm not sure the fib would keep working these days.
  • Effpcos
    Effpcos Posts: 350 Member
    Options

My "bff" and I qualified to donate in high by stuffing our bras & shoes with lead weights borrowed from our science lab, wearing heavy wool cardigans (part of our uniform) etc..
    I'm hoping I can donate again next year, it'll be two years since my last surgery.
    It's just a good feeling knowing you can help someone. My veins are very thin so they have to use the thinner needles on me whenever taking blood/putting in an IV etc. I can't remember what it is but my blood is "thick" and high in something that they like, lol. I'm type "O" positive, which is one of the most common types here in New Zealand.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    My "bff" and I qualified to donate in high by stuffing our bras & shoes with lead weights borrowed from our science lab, wearing heavy wool cardigans (part of our uniform) etc..

lol I bet she would have done that if she thought about it. It's something she's very passionate about for some reason. She wanted to start donating at 14 but she was too young. Then when she was old enough, she was too small. She was really excited when she was finally old enough AND big enough to go to her school's blood drive. When I picked her up that day, she was in tears because she couldn't donate due to low iron. We took her to the doc and got her some iron supplements and she's been donating since then.