Dear short people -- we don't need to starve ourselves!

Options

Replies

• CarrieStL
    CarrieStL Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    So true!! I'm 5'8 so I don't fall into the "short" category, but I want to share this post. It helps to explain how to calculate how many calories you need for a good FAT burning program. Yes....yes....yes....it's a long read, not too long though. But totally worth it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

BUMP!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'10' and keeping it near 1200 or less and don't seem to be getting anywhere....maybe I should increase my calories...thanks for the tip

You're welcome! Try upping it in small increments and see what happens...maybe do 1300 calories consistently for a few weeks, and then if you're still not seeing results, make it 1400. Often when weight loss stalls, the problem is that we're eating too little rather than too much.

for awhile there I went out to dinner every night (about 1800 cals per day) and gained 5 lbs over 2 weeks (I did have more energy after eating that dinner out ,also, which is why I did that)...then went to what I am now and lost it all but am stalled right now

I will try your tip, thanks

To gain 5 lbs of weight (in fat) in two weeks you would need to consume 1250 extra calories per day above your TDEE (and your TDEE is not 550 cals). So it is likely that what you gained in that period was either unconsumed food in your gut, water weight or TOM.

Scales lie, youu need to think it through whenever you see a sudden gain - it usually is NOT the small increase in food calories.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'10' and keeping it near 1200 or less and don't seem to be getting anywhere....maybe I should increase my calories...thanks for the tip

I just checked your profile and saw your age is 61. At your height and your age, you will most like have to eat BELOW 1200 per day to see any significant weightloss, unless you are exercising at a very high level. Sorry, but your metabolism is quite a bit slower than a 20 yr old's. Look for other women your age on here who have lost weight and find out what their calorie level is. I have a few on my friend list in their 50s or more, and I am 49 myself. Feel free to friend request me if you like.

I am 51 and 5'2" and have been losing at1600 a day. I have rarely gone lower than 1300 and am often higher than 1800 per day. I have lost 27 pounds since January.

How much muscle mass do you have? How much time are you spending in the gym, lifting, and how many calories are you burning every day? I dare say that you aren't sitting at a desk all day, and on the couch all night watching TV. To be able to eat that many calories you have to be exercising at a relatively high level. Most of the women your age aren't. Also, how many pounds a week are you losing? If you are happy with only losing a half pound a week, that's fine for you. I have 50 more pounds to lose and need to get it off as quickly as possible to prevent further joint damage.

I would never tell someone who is losing at a rate they are happy with, to eat less. If a plan is working for them, great. But if someone is just starting out to try to lose 30 pounds or more, is eating at a level that is not causing a lot of hunger, and they are not losing weight, then it is obvious that they are not creating a calorie deficit. Automatically telling them to eat more will most likely cause them to gain even more weight. I have seen it happen numerous times on here. It is more likely that they are underestimating how many calories they actually are eating, overestimating how many calories they actually need to eat, and/or overestimating how many calories they are burning thru exercise.

One size doesn't fit all. We all have to figure out what works for us in our own situation. A 20 yr old automatically telling a 60 yr old that she is starving herself because she eats less than the 20 yr old, is just wrong. And it needs to stop.
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    It's not all about height though. It's about weight too.

petites with more to lose certainly probably can startw ith higher calorie goala nd still get a good deficit. However, if' you're short and not far from your goal sometimes the only way to get a deficit is to have a lower calorie goal. One thing isn't going to work for everyone. For me I'm 5'1" and 1300 seems to be working well for me, I'm losing slowly and that's fine. For me maintenance will only be around 1600.
  • KateCon912
    KateCon912 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5" and if I eat a bite over 1200 calories in a day I gain weight instantly. :( It's too bad eating more doesn't work for me. I'm starving every day! :(
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3, and have been able to lose steadily eating 1600 calories a day, sometimes more. if you're short, your calorie goal will be smaller than someone who's taller, but not by the huge amount some people think. People who are 5'2 or 5'3 do not HAVE TO eat 1200 calories to lose. If you do that, and it works for you, great! But it's misleading to make people think that if they're short they have to set their calorie goal incredibly low to make any progress. It's simply not true for everyone.

5' and eat round 1600 a day, sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less. I do anticipate it going down a bit as I continue to drop weight, but I have lost 50 pounds eating between 1600-2000 calories a day, depending on exercise. However, I started at 252 pounds.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Im 4'8" and eat 2100 cal/day.

i dont need different calories because im short. my calories, like someone who is 6'7" , are based on my activity level. durh.
  • lesita75
    lesita75 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'11" and I was miserable and starving on 1200 cals per day. Now I'm averaging between 1300-1500 still losing weight and I'm not always hangry (Hungry + Angry)!! :smokin:
  • paleirishmother
    Options
    I gain major at 1600/day, I tried it for that 6 weeks after being told by everyone that I didn't eat enough. I am losing steadily at 1300/daily. I am 5'1, 155lbs and it works for me.
  • Yolanda4160
    Yolanda4160 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I have a 1200 calorie goal and still tend to only reach 800 calories a day (not on purpose- I'm just not that hungry) and I am only 5'1". Thanks to MFP I am actually trying to increase my calorie intake a little more so that my body doesnt go into starvation mode :/
  • eustaciavye
    eustaciavye Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    That's great news.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5" and if I eat a bite over 1200 calories in a day I gain weight instantly. :( It's too bad eating more doesn't work for me. I'm starving every day! :(

If you've suppressed your metabolism by eating too low, that could be the cause. A reset might be a good idea for you. I'm not a nutritionist, just passing on what I've learned from the ones who know their stuff around here. You need to find out what your maintenance calories are. I did a 2-week reset, but some people need to do it longer. I'm not short either, I was just happy to see this post!
  • aclar44
    aclar44 Posts: 30
    Options
    I'm only 5'1" and need to lose over 100 lobs. MFP gives me 1640 calories for the day. i've been eating just around that give or take 100 and doing light to moderate exercise and I've lost almost 7 pounds in just a few weeks.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Do you work out to build up extra cals that you can eat? Or just eat that much and no fitness and still lose?

My calorie burning is walking only (I have a joint condition), I eat 1500 calories to lose plus half of my exercise calories. I'm also pretty close to my goal weight so I'm only set to lose .5 lb/week. I'm 5'4", 140 lbs.
  • omgitsgarry
    Options
    I'm glad that this works for you, ladies! I'm 5'2' 1/2 and I eat about 1,200 a day and I still see results, but I'm healthy now, so it takes a little less to lose a little more for me. I started at 1,680 and I worked myself down as the pounds came off. I don't do much and I've tried exercising and increasing calories and it leads to me gaining, but I think that's because I am not active. But I'm glad this works for you!
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 & eat between 1800-2400 daily. I'm losing just fine. Food is yummy in my tummy
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4" and 225 pounds. I eat 1800 on non-exercise days and close to 2100 when I exercise. I am averaging a loss of 2 pounds per week.
  • saunders0000
    saunders0000 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    This is great im 5ft 2" i eat anywhere between 1400-1600 cals a day and have a good loss each week. ive recently joined the gym and find im more hungry on these days but manage not to eat back all my cals and its working for me and thats what matters :happy:
  • kristamarie91
    kristamarie91 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Agree! I did the whole 1200-1300 a day thing and it was awful. I'm 5ft and eat 1650 a day and losing.
    And most of the time if I exercise I eat some calories back!
  • shortnerdy
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and have no clue what I'm doing. I'm set to about 1300 and losing steady with 1-2 pleateau weeks in the 85 days Ive been doing this and down 14 pounds. I have days where I am not hungry and days I eat EVERYTHING.

So lost :S