breakfast?

Options

Replies

• mfp116
    mfp116 Posts: 108
    Options

Why on earth do you think I was excited?. And where exactly was my rant? It was a short sentence. I asked you a basic question. A little sensitive aren't you?

calm down
    [/quote]

you are funny. And I pose the question again.
    [/quote]

obviously your looking for an argument.. i pressed post reply by accident and responded if you had waited a little longer than a few seconds for my reply you would see that
  • amycb03
    amycb03 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I personally love love love breakfast foods. I always eat breakfast because I can work and think better with something in my belly...keeps me satisfied and not thinking about food until I have time to take a lunch at work.

I enjoy it. It keeps my belly happy and my mind clear all morning long. This is why I eat breakfast....and egg whites with avacado on a whole wheat english muffin or oatmeal with pumpkin or banana...that's also why I eat breakfast..YUM!

Do what makes your mind and belly happy. That's what works for you...not random articles or comments...it's about you. Enjoy whatever you decide!
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    This is a rather interesting topic. I read the article that the second person posted the link for, and from that page I saw this article: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15085170

In a nutshell, on a study of only 9 lean women, the conclusion was "Irregular meal frequency led to a lower postprandial energy expenditure compared with the regular meal frequency, while the mean energy intake was not significantly different between the two. The reduced TEF with the irregular meal frequency may lead to weight gain in the long term."

My own experience with skipping breakfast has been that by noon I'm ravenous and that lead to overeating. Some people aren't hungry when they wake up, which is fine. A small snack mid-morning, or the equivalent, depending on their sleep/wake schedule might suffice if they find they experience a sudden "oh my gosh, I'm SO HUNGRY NOW" feeling around lunchtime. The original OP posed an interesting question. I think it is best to do what works well for your body. My body says that breakfast is a must if I want to avoid feeling ravenous.
  • mfp116
    Options
    I personally love love love breakfast foods. I always eat breakfast because I can work and think better with something in my belly...keeps me satisfied and not thinking about food until I have time to take a lunch at work.

I enjoy it. It keeps my belly happy and my mind clear all morning long. This is why I eat breakfast....and egg whites with avacado on a whole wheat english muffin or oatmeal with pumpkin or banana...that's also why I eat breakfast..YUM!

Do what makes your mind and belly happy. That's what works for you...not random articles or comments...it's about you. Enjoy whatever you decide!

hehe eating breakfast to make you a happier person! yay :D
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Why on earth do you think I was excited?. And where exactly was my rant? It was a short sentence. I asked you a basic question. A little sensitive aren't you?

calm down

obviously your looking for an argument.. i pressed post reply by accident and responded if you had waited a little longer than a few seconds for my reply you would see that

I am absolutely not looking for an argument - and its actually funny (not in a *****y way btw) as I had slightly misread your comment and edited - but you quoted mine too early so picked up the unedited version also by replying to mine quickly. The only point I was making was that there are many people saying that breakfast is important and revs your metabolism etc - I was trying to get you to ask them for their support as, outside preference and medical requirements, meal timing is irrelevant and these statements are not supportable by studies.

Edited to fix quotes (the ****y is 'snarky' - well, it wasn't really, but that is what I meant)
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I wish people would just state in their first post: Please tell me what I want to hear. Science is irrelevant. If not, you'll just be ignored until someone else comes along and tells me what I want to hear. Thanks.

Would save a lot of time for people actually trying to help.
  • mfp116
    Options

calm down

I am absolutely not looking for an argument - and its actually funny (not in a *****y way btw) as I had slightly misread your comment and edited - but you quoted mine too early so picked up the unedited version also by replying to mine quickly. The only point I was making was that there are many people saying that breakfast is important and revs your metabolism etc - I was trying to get you to ask them for their support as, outside preference and medical requirements, meal timing is irrelevant and these statements are not supportable by studies.

Edited to fix quotes (the ****y is 'snarky' - well, it wasn't really, but that is what I meant)

well in actual fact i have read everything people have quoted (those disagreeing with breakfast) i dont eat breakfast for the "metabolic kick start" i eat it because im hungry i was just curious is all im less curious about people who eat it because well... they just eat it but the people who dont have more reasoning if you know what i mean? cause thats what im more interested in than the people who do eat it... since thats not what i do knowing why people eat breakfast doesnt really help me out here
  • annie_banannie
    annie_banannie Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I wish people would just state in their first post: Please tell me what I want to hear. Science is irrelevant. If not, you'll just be ignored until someone else comes along and tells me what I want to hear. Thanks.

Amen and Hallelujah.
  • mfp116
    Options

i do care for the science... hence why ive read the posts
    would also save alot of time if people werent so judgemental... i eat breakfast so im not hungry for the rest of the day me asking about why people eat breakfast doesnt help me i wanted to know if its true or false that breakfast kickstarts the metabolism and ive been told now that it doesnt so now i know that... i havent dismissed anyones opinions at all... so actually yes this does have to do with what i wanted to hear and those points were proven to me 3 times with links to proof

any more sarcastic comments to make?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

calm down

well in actual fact i have read everything people have quoted (those disagreeing with breakfast) i dont eat breakfast for the "metabolic kick start" i eat it because im hungry i was just curious is all im less curious about people who eat it because well... they just eat it but the people who dont have more reasoning if you know what i mean? cause thats what im more interested in than the people who do eat it... since thats not what i do knowing why people eat breakfast doesnt really help me out here

No, not really. People are not disagreeing with breakfast from what I have seen (I know I am not), they are just correcting people that states it 'revs up your metabolism'.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    3qgyf8.jpg
  • mfp116
    Options

calm down

No, not really. People are not disagreeing with breakfast from what I have seen (I know I am not), they are just correcting people that states it 'revs up your metabolism'.

well i got my original question answered that it does nothing for your metabolism so thats all i wanted
  • sheppeyescapee
    sheppeyescapee Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I have to eat breakfast as I take medications that the doctors recommend I take with food. If I don't have breakfast and I wait too long I get shaky, headache, nausea and so on. I get these symptoms if I don't eat every few hours. It works for me but we are all different and what works for me might not work for others.

I used to skip breakfast but I spent a lot of time irritable. The longer I leave between food the more likely I am to make worse food choices and overeat later in the day.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    You seem to be looking for specific verification that your preference is the most correct. There is no correct answer to eating breakfast, the correct answer is "what ever works for you." My first meal of the day generally comes about 4 hours after I wake up and 1 hour or so after I complete my morning workout. This works for me, I can't exercise with **** sloshing around in my belly, so I eat when I get to work. Some people have to have something to shove in their pie hole on the night stand because they can't imagine having the strength of getting to the kitchen without something in their belly, and others don't eat until 7 pm and eat all their calories in one sitting. Me, once I start eating at 830 (I wake at 430) I don't stop until I go to bed at 10. This also applies to night eating. It doesn't matter when you eat them, all that matters is that you do. So yes, if this works for you then you are righ, but no there is no such thing as "most right ever." And eating within x number of minutes after you wake does not rev anything.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast almost always - but its a myth that you have to.

Right now it works for me since I'm at home at breakfast and don't usually have to go anywhere before 10am. Years ago when I had to go to an office - I usually skipped breakfast and just had 2 coffees.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

i do care for the science... hence why ive read the posts
    would also save alot of time if people werent so judgemental... i eat breakfast so im not hungry for the rest of the day me asking about why people eat breakfast doesnt help me i wanted to know if its true or false that breakfast kickstarts the metabolism and ive been told now that it doesnt so now i know that... i havent dismissed anyones opinions at all... so actually yes this does have to do with what i wanted to hear and those points were proven to me 3 times with links to proof

any more sarcastic comments to make?

Wasn't sarcasm. Twas truth. But you've proven your thought on truth.
  • smilingalltheway
    smilingalltheway Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I always eat when I get up, I wake up hungery..and I would be very grumpy if I didn't eat breakfast
  • kimberliiw
    kimberliiw Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm in the do what works for you boat. On workdays I don't eat breakfast for 6 to 7 hours after I get up. On weekends it's closer to a couple of hours after awakening. But then I get up at 3 on work days.
  • msmarieann
    Options
    i myself do eat breakfast but ive heard a few times on here that breakfast literally is just calories and drinking water also wakes up your metabolism after sleeping and that you dont need to eat breakfast?

im new to this whole healthy lifestyle so is that true? dont you need breakfast?
    ive always been told that breakfast is the most important meal of the day

You should eat. Breakfast, if not for anything else, provides your body with nutrients and energy you need to stay alert and functioning. Restricting or skipping meals is the quickest way to resort to being famished and making poor meal choices. Eating keeps you in control.

So no, there's no difference in eating several small meals vs. larger meals, but your body needs fuel. Dude, your car doesn't care if you fill up the tank all at once, or several times over the week, but if won't run at all if there's no fuel in the tank.
  • elebel82
    elebel82 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Very pro breakfast myself - I find it's the best meal to cram in foods rich in fibre.

Plus, I've found that if I don't have breakfast, I'm more likely to blow out in the evening on something not so good. Or more accurately, when I started eating breakfast, I stopped with that behaviour.

That said, I don't buy into the idea that meals need to be at certain times either, I'm a shift worker so if I did, I'd have to starve half of the time.