#$@*& Keurig Machine!!!

Options
13»

Replies

• mathteacher2010
    mathteacher2010 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for your replies! We've tried all the easy fixes: unplugging it, de-scaling, smacking it (which usually works). My husband even took it apart and cleaned out all the interior parts which could be clogged. Nothing! So we're pricing new ones and thinking about whether or not we should try returning it or calling Keurig.

I do agree that using a Keurig can be a little expensive and possibly wasteful. For us, it works out better, because we have breakfast often at different times, and never drink a full pot. I used to throw out a lot more coffee than we drank, so the single-serve has been perfect for us.

Has anyone tried the new Vue machine?
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Id love to get one...but I am a little afraid to...coffee makers die quick and ugly deaths at our house for some reason. I would hate to spend that much on a wonderful gadget like that only to have it choke and breathe its last in just a few months. Someday...we will overcome our bad coffee maker karma!
  • jpolk01
    Options
    I drink too much coffee for a keurig machine to be a fiscally sound purchase! I love my 14 cup kitchen aid coffee pot though!

Totally agree, I had a Keurig and gave it to my mother-in-law. It was not cost effective for me to have one considering I drink a pot of coffee, not a cup of coffee.
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I loved my Keurig but it died in less than a year. I work from home and I drink coffee all day long but don't like the bitter taste from the pot sitting on the burner all day. We replaced ours with the Cuisinart brand and I love it even more. More features, better filter, all the bells and whistles. It cost a little more but it was worth it; we also purchased the extended warranty so I know I will have a working machine for at least 5 years. I also have reusable filter cups so I can buy bulk ground coffee instead of overpriced k-kups and I still have a freshly brewed cup every time. :drinker:
  • Leah2975
    Leah2975 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a french press.
    exactly. a grinder, a french press, and a thermos to keep the leftover cup or so hot. perfect. and tastes so much better.
  • tbruegg
    tbruegg Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    My first one only lasted a year.. So I bought a new one but, did my homework how to take better care of this one Like be sure to use bottled water due to lime and salt in our water supply. Company said the lines plug easy because they are so thin. It recommends cleaning every 6 months but I clean every 3 months because if you wait for the, you need to descale light to come on most of the time you will not be able to save it.
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    im a tassimo girl

but i wish they had more variety available in stores, as well as a k-cup equivalent

but i love it so much and i would go crazy if mine broke!
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    My mother in law has one that does two cups of coffee at a time in separate cups, and it can do large travel mugs or regular sized cups.

A lot cheaper than a keurig.

If you do the math per cup, those pod systems cost WAY more per cup of coffee. I remember I had a little black & decker coffee maker that brewed directly into a travel mug & had a reusable filter & it worked brilliantly.
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I HATE my Keurig! If you're ever in BR, LA you can have mine!!!
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    ...and while I have a traditional 12 cup size coffee maker, I pretty much only ever use my Breville espresso machine to make 2 shots which I usually add a little milk to or steam some milk if I have time on my way out the door to work.

Juan Valedez espresso beans are AWESOME btw! Had a friend bring me a bag from Columbia....make the house smell good all day after grinding some beans up.
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    OH.. and I just started using a cold drip and LOVE it!
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I prefer my little espresso machine or a regular brew machine. I can't fathom paying a buck a cup for coffee and not have someone serve it to me. :-)
  • Redbird99ky
    Redbird99ky Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I loved my keurig, until it died, after a little over 2 yrs. We tossed around the idea of getting another one, but ended up getting a Hamilton Beach "The Scoop 2-way" Single + Carafe ... It can brew either a single cup or a 12 cup pot. Granted, it's not as quick as the Keurig for singles, but I can use my own coffee (Seattles's Best Blend) CHEAPER and I can brew a pot at a time if I want. The single option also works for brewing tea, which I like to have in the evening while reading. Check it out... BTW, the Scoop 2-way itself costs less than 50% of the Keurig we had/were going to replace .

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=18223562
  • pickledginger
    Options
    The little gold filter cups work pretty well, then you can buy fantastic coffee for a lot less per pound and not create the towers of plastic.

I am addicted to my French press, though.
  • awilke03
    awilke03 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for your replies! We've tried all the easy fixes: unplugging it, de-scaling, smacking it (which usually works). My husband even took it apart and cleaned out all the interior parts which could be clogged. Nothing! So we're pricing new ones and thinking about whether or not we should try returning it or calling Keurig.

I do agree that using a Keurig can be a little expensive and possibly wasteful. For us, it works out better, because we have breakfast often at different times, and never drink a full pot. I used to throw out a lot more coffee than we drank, so the single-serve has been perfect for us.

Has anyone tried the new Vue machine?

we have the vue - our keurig died just before they released the vue & a we decided to wait for the vue & spend the money on it. so pleased with our decision! the way the coffee brews is a little different & tastes more robust. there are also lots more settings ( brew over ice is awesome ). & for me I love that you can brew lattes & mochas ( not quite the same as coffee shop ones, but still very good ). they are now starting to add to the vue choices - more varieties & flavors! plus the new vue packs are designed to be recycled! both my husband & I love the vue way more than the traditional keurig!
  • StarGeezer
    Options
    I prefer my little espresso machine or a regular brew machine. I can't fathom paying a buck a cup for coffee and not have someone serve it to me. :-)

I'm with you, Steve. I have a number of brewers here... everything from a high-end Braun to a $10 Black and Decker, and a few in between. Best coffee by far comes from an old Farberware percolator that someone abandoned and I claimed it, brought it home, fixed it up, and it works good as new. Between the upfront cost of the Keurigs and the ongoing cost of the K-cups, I can't justify it.

Comes down to it, if I just want one cup, I'll make instant.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I was really excited to get one the 1st year they came out and had steam arms...but I didn't get one right away and they were discontinued :sad: ...after that I just wasn't all that excited...plus those cups are EXPENSIVE!:angry:
  • crystallyn14
    Options
    There's a mail-in rebate if you purchase a machine before October 28th. http://www.keurig.com/rebate

Also, their customer service is very helpful...if you ever have a problem, they are happy to help.